Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie CineX35 Projector

Author Topic: Christie CineX35 Projector
Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie has discontinued this product- so soon, too.

I thought this was a giant step above the P35GPS? I thought this was a replacement of the P35GPS as well?

http://www.christiedigital.com/AMEN/Products/christieCineX35.htm

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 10-07-2006 07:28 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't someone say on this forum that Christie is taking 35MM projectors as trade-ins for new DLP systems? Presumably Christie now has an ample supply of good used equipment that can be refurbished for resale to satisfy what market still remains for 35MM equipment. If that's the case, the bottom has probably fallen out of the market for the CineX35.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-07-2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe the CineX35 was made in the States either.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-07-2006 10:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the Christie film projectors are made in Belgium. The Cine-X35 was discontinued because of some major changes(again) that are gong to happen to the P35GP and it might actually become a very good machine if all is done that they are planning on. All belt and pulleys will be the round tooth style and all pulleys will be Teflon coated to minimize friction and increase belt and pulley life. There will also be larger bearings in the dancer rollers in the sound head....(Hurray!) and some other changes integrated into it. GOOD GRIEF! HOPEFULLY... this will be the last gestation of the P-35 projector that appears on the market.

Yes, Christie is buying booths from Carmike for the tune of I believe $800.00 a booth or thereabouts. You can read it all on line if you search for the Carmike Annual Stockholders Report [Big Grin] . Undoubtedly this is to get rid of film based equipment and not have any that have been removed get put back into service somewhere else.

Mark

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 01:44 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: Has Carmike gone completely digital? The one in Fort Collins (10 miles from me)has gone completely digital. See my post regarding that....

But anyways, are they really doing this crap and better a question yet WHY?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-08-2006 05:10 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are in the process of doing so. For Carmike IT IS an upgrade in quality because all the scratched and dirty prints they NORMALLY HAVE RUNNING are gone. Be patient digital will get better but it will take time.... Rockets didn't fly too well at first either. Most places showing DC material are still running MPEG encoded stuff and when the switch over to JPEG-2000(Joe's favorite compression format) is complete the difference will be very noticable. Many aspects instantly improve, but the most noticable is the much improved color. I believe that Disney is the only one right now releasing everything in JPEG-2000. The two hardest things for DC to reproduce faithflly are rain and rolling credits, andas long as there is DLP there will be no true blacks. Rolling credits will look their worse when an anamorphic IS NOT being used for scope shows.

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-08-2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Carmike digging themselves into a hole and shoot themselves in the foot in the same breath when that 4k stuff comes out and gives 2k a run for their money?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-08-2006 11:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
when that 4k stuff comes out and gives 2k a run for their money?

That ain't goin to happen. When 4K does finally appear and is sold as a working 4K system it will be so expensive to buy that no one in exhibition will be interested.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: