Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ultra Stereo JSD80

Author Topic: Ultra Stereo JSD80
Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was told that the CP45 is no longer produced, stil don't know how much truth is in it,but it's being hard to find those for new instals.
other than Dolby's CPs, I've intalled a bunch of Smarts ( model 7 mostly ,and some model 2C) and recently someone pointed the JSD80.
I worked with Ultra's older models like hte JS/JSX series with very little to no problem ands liked the sound of it. the JSD80 being their current product as of now and knowing of it recently, I still don't know how it behaves and how it sounds in the theatre.
I'd like to know some oppinions, comments, tips, tricks and so on about this processor regarding performance,setup, failures, features that are useful for a standart theatre setup and what has use on special setups, before I go ahad and tell the big people to get it and end with a "guh!" face..

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2006 08:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a half dozen of them in various places. I think three of them are the DTS version. Don't expect anything great from the SR noise reduction. These units have been perfectly stable and very reliable. Zero problems so far.

Mark

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2006 11:14 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Installed the DTS XD10P which is the JSD80 in DTS format with a few addons (make sure you use firmware 1.2 though) in a college cinema down here with no problems at all so far. I loved the equalization part as it was quite easy and gave great results. The SR Emulation is much better than the Smart processors and I believe is better than the CP45 although I am not putting my head down for it. The JSD80 version I believe has no user soundhead gain adjustment while it exists on the DTSXD10P with the new firmware. I love the fade function they have when swapping from Non-Sync to A-Type or SR type film format. Digital cinema is easily incorporated in these processors. They do have 2 non-sync inputs, an analog 8 track input and a digital 8 track input as well as an SPDIF so no need for DMA8 or equivalent when installed for a D-Cinema application. It is a good and reliable processor and the pricing is very keen and friendly for small to medium theaters although don't underestimate their use in large theaters as well.
Best Regards
D

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2006 12:11 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've installed 4 so far. Installation was very easy. Setup is a little more involved. Had to get used to the laptop setup procedures. Got a little tricky navigating the different tabs and settings. I agree with Mark about the SR sound. Thought it was just me. Guess not. Also, my only other issue was the LOUD pop and thump when you switch it into bypass. It did it on all of them. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-05-2006 05:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The JSD80/XD10P do indeed have the ability to take either analog or digital audio in so in that sense, no need for the DMA-8....however....

The DMA-8 is much more than a mere 8-channel D/A converter. It will decode AC-3, Dolby-E (if you deal with broadcast level videos, it WILL come up), handle multiple sources, allow for video latency with its global audio delay.

The JSD80 can cover most of that except Dolby-E. Oddly, only the JSD80 has the option of AC-3 decoding...the XD10P, does not. The JSD80 also allows for multiple speaker configurations (5-screen channels or 4 surround channels).

My first impressions of the JSD80 were mostly pretty good. It is a bit noisier than I would like and the noise reduction is not particularly good. The feature set included with this unit is quite impressive though indeed. I want to say that early units/software did not allow one to set the subwoofer level with pink noise...you had to run PN film.

Overall though...some really good ideas went into this unit and it shows.

Luciano Brigite
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2006 06:20 PM      Profile for Luciano Brigite   Email Luciano Brigite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's good to know the processor does the job and hasn't annoyed anyone after installed.. I should have asked about it a bit more earlier, at hte time i suggested hte boss to give a try on the USL processors, but I thought the JSX1000 was still in production.
Today I got called at his office and was surprized by two boxes conaining one JSD80 each.. [Eek!] thougt to myself.. oookay.. it's here..now let's see what comes out..( they have this strange habit of buying things before one can assure it'll work allright..then get mad when it doesn't [Razz] ) one is already in the soundrack, only waiting the wiring to be finished ,brought the CD and manual to have fun with during the weekend.with good things said about it I feel more comfortable in working with it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: