Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Do you Filmguard your test loops?

Author Topic: Do you Filmguard your test loops?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 11:45 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just curious if this is common practice, and if it is, how often do you do it? I noticed one of mine getting kind of scratched up and considered running a film cleaner on it, but I wasn't sure how long it should be run, or how often.

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2006 04:34 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I coat mine using a light spray of FG on a micro-cloth after I tape my loop together. [thumbsup] Make sure that you store your loops inside a container so they don't gather dust when your not using them.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-01-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you have a system of rollers to keep the loop from dragging all over the floor and the side of the projector, only very minimally FG them if you want some extra scratch and embossing protection. Remember that loop runs over and over every few seconds and will be dragged across lots of dirty surfaces, so less is definitely better in this regard.

Then every time you run the loop, start the projector motor and take a dry soft cloth (or media) and run it through your fingers sort of like a makeshift cleaner for one pass to help get off the loose "handling" dirt that you just put on it when you threaded the machine. No need to keep running it through something wet with FG.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 11:23 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I never even thought about that. I only have test loops made from trailer peices, so nothing special or irreplacable. But even I was at the Wynnsong, we had a Doly tone loop, and I never thought of using FG, or C-lube then, on any of my test loops.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-02-2006 03:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
C-lube, eh? Nice to know you support the criminals at CPI, Charles. [Roll Eyes]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 07:42 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre aquired a SECOND Kelmar film cleaner while I was sick, so now, all of my films are FG'd. I've always FG'd my test loops, and before that, I used Vitafilm on my old 'Jiffy' test film in 16mm, which is still in fine shape.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 10-02-2006 09:56 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never gave it a second thought... FG on the loops seemed an obvious thing to do.

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2006 10:26 PM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2006 12:06 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Brad, Carmike supported them. We already had the product in our booth, so why not use it. At the Regal here, I use FG. Both work, but FG I don't have to shake up every time I use it, it works well, and I like the taste.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: