Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinerama Sound Reproducer

Author Topic: Cinerama Sound Reproducer
Cary Loeser
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 12:41 AM      Profile for Cary Loeser   Email Cary Loeser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone familiar with the old sound reproducers that were made by Westrex and used for the Cinerama process? I have the following questions:

1) What kind of oil was used in the sprocket gear housing?

2) What did the gear-driven "electrical generator" do? Was it suppose to generate a DC voltage, square wave, etc. and what was its purpose?

3) There were two lamp-indicators built in to the unit; the yellow or clear lamp on top and the red lamp on the bottom. What did they do? I don't think that either lamp indicated that the machine was locked (synchronized) into the system because there was always a "lock box" installed on the side of the sound reproducer. I would assume that one of the lights was a "sync" light, similar to the ones that were installed on the projectors.

Any information that you can share with me would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dick Vaughan should be the person to answer this; they are running an original Cinerama sound reproducer at Bradford.

[ 09-25-2006, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: Stephen Furley ]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 09:08 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be picky, but why is this in the large format forum?

Cary Loeser
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Cary Loeser   Email Cary Loeser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please tell me what forum that this topic ahould be in and I will post it there. Thank you.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-26-2006 03:06 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cary ... No, don't duplicate a post to another forum..for it's not allowed or it will be closed (need to read the posting rules in the faq and rules section next time..). Just keep this one going - others will have to get over it with this subject being posted in this handler's forum.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 03:21 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If Im lucky I'll be able to ask next month, when I finaly (fingers crossed) get to see a working one.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
Dick Vaughan should be the person to answer this; they are running an original Cinerama sound reproducer at Bradford
Thanks for the plug Stephen

I am not sure I can answer questions specifically about Carey's reproducer as his is a Westrex ours is an original Cinemeccanica. I will take a look to see if there are any similarities.

quote: Cameron Glendinning
If Im lucky I'll be able to ask next month, when I finaly (fingers crossed) get to see a working one.

Are you travelling all the way to Bradford or just down the road to see John Mitchell? [Big Grin] [Confused]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-26-2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is a Selsyen type sync system and as such the motor serves as in effect a generator and a motor

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2006 04:31 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dick Vaughan
Are you travelling all the way to Bradford or just down the road to see John Mitchell?
John Mitchell [Big Grin] I've been planning to go since he first invited me in 1988. Unfortunatly I could never get the night off on one of his screening dates as there tended to be a projectionist shortage in Sydney that night, no wonder why! As I now control a roster the situation has changed.

Hopefully I will one day make it to Bradford [thumbsup]

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2006 05:29 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been to a couple of John Mitchells outdoor cinerama screenings they are fantastic. I saw Windjammer there it was great.

Dick Vaughan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Dick Vaughan   Author's Homepage   Email Dick Vaughan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron please pass on my best wishes to John. It's been a while since we've been in touch
Enjoy your night [thumbsup] [beer]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2006 09:10 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John has had to close his country regular 35mm cinema, his last screening was last friday night, It apears that the local council will hopefully be reopening it. An 18 year era is coming to an end. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: