Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Ashcraft Super Core-Lite Mirror Resurfacing/Replacement (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Ashcraft Super Core-Lite Mirror Resurfacing/Replacement
Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 04:24 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running changeovers with Super Core-Lite carbon arcs at the Loew's Jersey, and one of the mirrors has degraded to the point where there's a significant difference in light output and quality between the two lamphouses.

Does anyone have any idea how feasible it would be to find a replacement mirror or have a new one manufactured? The lamphouses we've obtained for spares all had broken or missing mirrors. We're willing to consider resurfacing them, but not without a spare mirror on hand in case one were damaged during transport or recoating. Should this prove to be insurmountably difficult or prohibitively expensive, we're prepared to switch to xenons, so it's not critical.

This is not a joke. [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-24-2006 04:51 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could try Lenny Miller at Eastern Cinema Supply (781-294-0381). When I last spoke with him, he had some NOS reflectors for various types of arc lamps.

I believe that Marble sells new ones as well, though I'm sure that they are not cheap and I don't know if they sell them for Ashcraft lamps.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-24-2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does UltraFlat recoat them? A couple used xenons with good mirrors might not cost much more than recoating the old mirrors.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few thoughts: 1) You might post a "wanted to buy" ad here on Film-Tech; maybe someone out there has a used one to sell.

2) You might also contact (or watch for comments from) some of the service guys who normally post on here. Mark Gulbrandtson and Richard Fowler both are part of cinema service companies that normally maintain (new and) old theatre equipment, and they well have something used you could buy. (And my apologies to others on here, who I'm not aware of, who also might help out)

3) And finally, "Opti-Forms" Co. in Southern California makes re-surfaced (and replacement) mirrors for numerous lamphouses. They may already have "blanks" for your lamphouse, or be able to make them for you. No, it won't be cheap, but your patrons deserve good light on the screen.

At some point you'll have to perform the triage decision -- do you get new mirrors, or go xenon at long last? Really, do you think your patrons will actually understand or appreciate the significance of the lightsource?

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 11:41 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hope you guys find new reflectors. xenon light is so blue-ish, as we who are old know... [Eek!]

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 05:53 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the Loew's already has a pair of xenon lamphouses; there were on display in the lobby last year, along with the various other parts of the pair of DP-70s which they had just acquired at that time.

The last time I saw a show at the Loew's, in March this year, the light was much improved from the previous year, when, frankly, it was terible. It's still not what it should be, and the xenons would probably give a better light than the Core-lites in their present condition, but I would rather see the Core-lites with decent mirrors in them. They give a very good light, I could always tell when a cinema had converted to xenon, and it's not just a question of the colour, there's something else different about the light. I find that Technicolor dye prints in particular really do look different with carbon.

Please keep the Core-lights as long as you possibly can; it must be possible to get hold of some mirrors somewhere. If possible, keep them long enough to do a few 70mm shows with them when you get the DP-70s set up.

Also, xenons are not well suited to running 2000 foot spools.

If you can find some mirrors, or a re-silvering service somewhere then I would be prepared to make a contribution to the cost.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 10:37 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Loews Jersey plans keep those carbon arc lamps as long as we can. In addition to hoping that some supplier still has some NOS, we were also wondering if some film-tech'er out there who is working in an older theatre has one of these lamp houses sitting in a store-room or behind stage and would be willing to send us the reflector.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 03:22 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last Ashcraft Core-light we retired in 1989. To manufacture a new glass body would involve have a custom "tool" to produce the blank which would be cost prohibitive. Recoating an existing blank or cleaned up existing reflector is do able if done on rear of glass, hot type; front cold type would be probably not available since the old glass surface would probably have microscopic damage from the arc.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your leads and advice. Getting good replacement mirrors would be the best and most practical course of action.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-27-2006 04:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also call Steve at International Cinema Equipment Company in Miami. They've got everything under the sun down there: (305) 573-7339 or www.iceco.com

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-27-2006 02:13 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful: 20 years ago I purchased a good number of B+L front surfaced mirrors for Super Corelite. The new reflector gave less light than the one I replaced; the depth of the curvature was different. Not only did B+L not take them back; they issued all of them that way until the end. I trashed mine since I did not have something of value to sell. No one else did the same, so I COULD HAVE sold them to customers like most nearly everyone else.

If you moved the arc forward into the back of the contacts, you had GREAT light for awile. They had destroyed the "mold" for the front surface ones and just used the mold for the rear surface ones. Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-27-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
If you moved the arc forward into the back of the contacts, you had GREAT light for awile.
Louis is right about the shallow f1 point. My fix for that is to mill/grind/slice off the same amount of the front of the contact assembly mount. This places the jaws forward and away from the new position of the arc.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 05:14 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why flog a dead horse? Replace 'em. Why in a tech heavy industry does anybody want to hang onto an ancient, dirty, troublesome technology which is becoming ever more difficult to keep supplied with high priced consumables of indeterminate quality. The coating of fine dust that settles on everything in the booth will be gone, and you know you are breathing the stuff. If you've got a box of Nationals, there is a list of all the nice things that are floating in your air.

[ 09-30-2006, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Tony L. Hernandez
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 01:14 AM      Profile for Tony L. Hernandez   Email Tony L. Hernandez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the original poster: Pardon my stupidity but I truly know nothing about Carbon Arc systems...would a Strong reflector specification 69 work for you? One of the theaters I work at has two or three of these new (well, not new...they are about 40 years old) and in the boxes. We stopped using carbons in the early 80s and finally tore out the old equipment in winter '03 so MAYBE I could talk the owner into selling you one or two,if you could use them.

And Mr. Enos, I thought you guys still had carbon arcs at The Byrd?!?!?

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2006 01:39 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong reflectors won't work in an Ashcraft.
Bob

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: