Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD10 running reel one, then dying??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: DTS XD10 running reel one, then dying???
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever hear of this? New XD10 worked fine for a few months, but now a print is assembled onto a platter, discs loaded up, movie started and the dts kicks right in as normal...but as soon as the splice runs through into reel 2, it stops playing digital and reverts the processor to analog. From that point on, even resetting the XD10 won't bring back dts!!! [Eek!]

Has this happened to anyone here and what was the fix?

|  IP: Logged

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This failure is interesting because it occurred at a reel change. Does this happen every show? Same place? The cause could be something as simple as the next reel not having timecode. Does Kung Fu Hustle sound familiar? I recommend checking the print for timecode or looking at the XD10's display, see if it reports reel # and feature. Also check to make sure all of the audio reels are loaded.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 06:58 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what about purging the movie from the hard drive and reloading it? is it still picking up timecode?

I've only installed 3 of them so far and havent heard of any problems with them yet.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2005 07:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie was deleted from the hard drive and reloaded, with rebooting in between.

Same print played fine on this exact XD10 and projector before.

Different movies have since been tried...all fail at the reel 2 change.

Jason Miller
Expert Film Handler

- posted 05-16-2005 08:10 PM      Profile for Jason Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would guess timecode board. Time to give Karen a call at DTS.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..kinda funny is that I've ran into that same thing with the older 6D and 6AD units as well-reel change and "blop!" - analog switchover. Turned out it was a bad disk in itself-not the player's drives or software. The way disc manufacturing is done, it makes one wonder of the "QC" status.

Another gimby thing that gets in the woodwork is the power supplies on these things gets a little grumpy and drops a volt here and there (being switchers) and just that volt drop and that messes things up at times. Had to replace a few PS's on these things as well (course, the older ones which uses the AT power supply).

Like with all things digital-not the most "Perfected" thing yet.

-Monte

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2005 08:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well we can rule out the discs as being defective, because it played fine in another machine and it played fine previously on this XD10.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 09:00 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..what about "switching out" cards between two units and see if the problem follows between the two units?

(Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the XD-10 since I have no access to these units, thus this is just a guess on my part with this suggestion to help out...)

thx-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 05-16-2005 09:31 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, has this XD10 received the prescribed update on the firmware from last fall?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 05-16-2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A similar problem happened to Mike in Forseyth, MT. I never did hear exactly what they did to correct his but it was definately a software issue. He also had to wait for the fix foor a while as far as I remember

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 10:53 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try plugging in a monitor?

--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 05-16-2005 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, not sure but I will send over a disc and try that.

Mark, hopefully Mike can chime in and let us know if this was a problem he had specifically.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 05-16-2005 11:42 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..speaking of Mike, him and I was talking about DTS stuff through my personal email and he told me that he did have problems with his X10 unit, and it curtailed a simple unit replacement exchange of sorts with DTS.

..that's all he mentioned. Hope this helps some.

thx-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-17-2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, chiming in. The problem I had was slightly different than the one Brad's having.

The problem we had was, the XD10 was switching to the next reel's sound file too late. The sound from the outgoing reel would play out, you would hear about a half second of silence, then a loud sync BEEP! then the sound would come back as normal. What was weird was it didn't ever happen on the first play of a movie, but would get worse as the week went on. The problem turned out to be a bug in the XD10 software.

They sent me a software fix last week and it's fine now. I assume this patch will be released generally any day if it hasn't been already. But, this may not cure the problem Brad's having.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-18-2005 08:25 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike you must have contacts in HIGH places to get your FIX so quick.Both my XD-10's failed,at the same time,two weeks after they were installed-NEARLY SIX MONTHS AGO!!! After much time wasting(mostly my time!!) and pointing the finger at everyone else DTS admitted it was their problem.All correspondance has been ONE WAY!! It appears to me that DTS could not give a [bs]
Both units worked fine when installed and then both units at the same time stopped switching the formats of the CSP 1200's that they are connected to.I hope someone from DTS reads this and pulls their finger out of their arse and does something about it.
This has been pissing me off for a long time and I think it is about time DTS learnt how to produce REAL SOFTWARE!!
(Just had to get it off my chest) [Mad]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: