Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » BIEMA Power Amp (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: BIEMA Power Amp
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 04:01 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Any of you guys heard of or used these power amps.
They are supposed to be "engineered in the USofA:.
They are selling pretty cheap on Ebay down here.
They have the Q series Professional and the W series Professional.
Cheers Ian

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2006 09:27 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Biema is made in china and I beleive in australia Hoyts is useing them
I have heard they are very good

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 10:57 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian.

Yes I have heard them, they are imported by www.altronics.com.au.
I have heard them in a P.A configuration in the Store Demo Room and all I can say is that they are not bad. I was impressed. I would like to test them some day. website says Q series is designed for mixed use including cinema.

Does this have something to do with Bi Amping?

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 05:12 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says in the ad that they are "engineered in the USA"-does that mean the Chinese put them together with American screwdrivers??
They look really good and the price is excellent.
It would be a cheap way to start Bi-amping.
I'm going to Tri-Amp my home Hi-Fi speakers first and if that impresses me then I'll definitely get into Bi-amping some stage speakers.
Cheers
Ian

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-24-2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
I have heard they are very good

Yea, Probably right up there with those Pyramid amps you've been using that test out so crappy nd are built like crap! Face it... none of the dimestore electronics outlet stuff is going to be of really high quality.....

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Im sure this would sound better, Mark knows his amps [thumbsup]

In Australia, Hoyts is not the benchmark for quality, GU/ village features QSC

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-26-2006 03:55 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Mark you are incorrect the Biema amps are a prosound amp and are highly thought of by many prosound people

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-26-2006 04:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gord,

No matter how "Pro" they claim them to be they are just another cheap Chineese amp. All one has to do is look at who and where they are being sold.... Good equipment costs $$.

Mark

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2006 06:59 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Cameron. The sound in Hoyts cinemas is not as good as other companies. Even their new locations have problems (well the ones I have being to anyway).

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-27-2006 07:52 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark I strongly dissagree with some of your comments
There are many cases where cost vs performance doesn't justify using a particular product
For what they are the Pyramid amps have proven reliable and suitable for the size of rooms they have been used in
The Biema products have proven themselves where I have had limited contact with them Far better than Crown
And on the issue of offshore then QSC should be in your bad books as the RMX amps are made in Asia

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-27-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
And on the issue of offshore then QSC should be in your bad books as the RMX amps are made in Asia

Gord, My issue isn't offshore products... Just crap in a box offshore products. With the RMX's at least they are a QSC design and QSC quaity controled... actually they are very well made too.

The Asians are also capable of building great stuff.

Mark

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 07:06 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience I have found that most Amps sound fine with a clean input signal,good interconnect and speaker cables and balanced speakers.
Cheers Ian

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2006 10:02 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mmmm cannot agree with you on that last post, did you ever hear the yellow brick that Associated Sound made, yuck!!!!!! no bass, scratchy highs. Many country cinemas still unfortunately feature them.

Ian I have heard the Biema, It sounds to me like its worth trying potentially great value for money, sounded OK to me. Altronics to me seem to have an extremely high quality control, unlike Jaycar ect. Their own brand Redback tends to be badged Timpony speakers ect.(sorry about the spelling Mark)

The photo in the above post is infact one of Marks pet projects, a recreation of a Krell Amp, I found on another web sight. The quality of his workmanship is first class . [thumbsup] I value his opinion greatly.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2006 08:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron..... No that IS the original Krell power amp,not one that I Kloned..... Thats a factory original KST-100(class AB). The one we are Kloning is very similar except it will be true Class A and it will deliver 160 watts into 8 ohms and double that power each time the load impedance is halved all the way down to 1 ohm. The pcb is now well along in the design stage with everyone hashing over what devices and the exact layout we will be using. With people from all over the globe bulding these and different types of parts available in different countries we have to try to include all options if possible. Its nice having all those REAL electronics engineers from all over the world over at that other web site assist us with their tips and pointers during the board design. We have done the KSA-50 and that has proven to be the most popular thread at the audio site with close to half a million views. I have sold close to 400 PCB's for building that amp so far. In case you're interested in building one the builders guide is here. Give it a min. to dwnload!

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-29-2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
10 output devices per channel is silly design
In a large room which we deal with is unneeded
in most theatres outside sources contribute far more to audio issues than the booth amplifiers
A touch of economic realism is needed here

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: