Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Hafler Amps, opinions? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Hafler Amps, opinions?
Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-21-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about them, good? great? crap?something in the middle?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-21-2006 08:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something in the middle regardless of the model... They can be made better by some simple modifications... Larger power supply caps/transformer, better wiring and replacing the dime store electrolytic caps on the driver boards with higher grade parts as is typically used in todays power amps. Haflers typically sound warm and its because of the very low odd harmonic distortion content they generate.

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-21-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, if one wanted to make all the changes you mention, I'd say those amps would then be "just" OK... but "As Is" from the factory they are CRAP (in my experience)

The best amps by light years, are (most models of) QSC.

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 01:06 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original products of the David Hafler (Mr.Dynaco) co. were Ok for the money. Always built to a low price point many compromises were made (Low quality parts, wimpy power supplies). In the early eighties they brought out the XL-280 (140 wpc) Touted as the "perfect" amplifier. It featured a user adjustable nulling circuit to cancel out all the remaining distortion leaving one with a "Perfect" [Roll Eyes] amplifier. Much as I tried I couldn't get one to match the quality of the 25 watt Levinson Class A amps I was using at the time. The kindest comment I can say about Hafler is that of all the Solid state amplifiers that have passed through My hands in the last 30 years the Hafler was one of them! [Razz]

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 06:12 PM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre tech, as he aquires them, is replacing all of the KINTEK amps in my theatre with QSC power amps. We now have 4 of 7 theatres running the QSC's. I am very happy with them.

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

Hafflers are great sounding amps I once owned a DH200 years ago

these things were clean, however like mark and others have said based on experience they don't hold up well in professional applications.

cheers

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2006 09:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that Hafler has terrible reliablity issues only slightly better than my experiences with BGW and Crown

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2006 08:34 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an XL-280 Hafler amp infront of me. Its not working. I see lots of caps with the plastic cooked off of them. No burned circuitry, other than lots of use. Is it worth my effort to recap it, and get it going?

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-24-2006 05:58 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The model number in question is DH500...how old is this model? Any model specific comments?

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"The model number in question is DH500...how old is this model?"

Early 80's so at least over 20 years old. Caps have changed value for sure. Fan cooled 250 watt per channel. Could have been factory assembled or (ugh) a Kit. If your using it for home on easy to drive speakers you should be ok (For how long is anyones guess). Pro use? Forget it unless rebuilt. [Wink]

Jon Miller
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 12:15 AM      Profile for Jon Miller   Email Jon Miller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, in the four years I was a projectionist for a local museum (1991-94) one xenon lamp leaked and one exploded but not one of the three Hafler DH-500 amps in the sound rack even came close to crapping out. QSCs they aren't, but they did the job.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-25-2006 10:56 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are the issues, caps have been mentioned, do output transistors blow? power supplies? control circuits?

Jim Latendorf
Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 03:34 PM      Profile for Jim Latendorf   Email Jim Latendorf   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember those things. Worked as the bench tech at a local higher end stereo store that sold them when they came out. The first ones had a bad batch of main filter caps installed in them. Where quickly made good by the factory. Not a bad sounding amp, though. Those power MOSFETS gave the thing a "warm" tube sound and where very forgiving to weird speaker loads. An inherent thing with MOSFETS. Factory wired or kit form didn't make much difference. The main amplifier module on both was built and tested at the factory. The "kit" part was just assembling the chassis and doing all the interconnecting stuff which saved $100 off the purchase price. If yours is still running after all these years, I'd replace all the electrolytic capacitors and then you would be good to go for another ten years. Also, the main power switch on those things where junk. Just bypass it. David Halfler was trying to achieve "more bang for the buck" with his designs just as he did with the Dynaco line. Another note regarding the power MOSFETS. After opening the top cover and looking closely at the transistors you will note a single digit number stamped on the device. This is a test number. All of the output transistors on these things are "matched" sets for each channel so don't mix them up. Not bad for an amplifier that sold for about a buck a watt back then.

Regards,

Jim L.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-25-2006 04:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,
It is not worth repairing or upgrading. The chassis is however a good chassis for the DIYer to build a real super amp. The Hitachi output devices on these amps have been long obsolete! When it dies just replace it....

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-26-2006 04:26 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed: just OK in their day. That day passed about 20 years ago when David Hafler left the company. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: