Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP-500 Popping noise

Author Topic: CP-500 Popping noise
Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2006 12:43 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a question. Recently, while opening the projection booth for #1 & #10, I would hear low popping noises coming from the booth monitor & from the auditorium upon turing on the equipment via the Circuit Breaker Panel. After the CP-500 unit completes it's boot sequence, there are no other problems. Everything runs fine. Is this normal? I don't know if it's the amps themselves or the actual Dolby Digital CP-500 unit. I am using 19 QSC Amps of various models. Sorry, I don't have the actual model numbers for the amps handy. Also, would this popping affect the speakers in the auditoriums over time?

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2006 01:11 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you should turn on the amps after the processer. what else is on the same circuit breaker? something like an air conditioner would do the same thing.
Many cinemas turn off each amp then the circuit breaker for the processer. One cinema that I worked in had a problem with the individual amp switches then breaking!
As for damage, how many years has this been happening?

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-21-2006 01:20 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the sound is also heard on the booth monitor, it probably doesn't come from the amps - unless the amp is wired up and set to monitor the amp outputs, of course. If so, the next step would be to check if the sound can also be heard when the processor output is monitored. That should clarify whether it is the processor or amps. I do seem to recall a problem like that with CP500s, but it was many years ago and I can't quite remember.
Maybe it will come back to me. In the meantime, it should be checked if the sounds are coming from the processor or the amps by monitoring them accordingly during the boot sequence.
If it turns out to be the amps, see if you can narrow it down to one. In that case, you don't have to reboot everything. Just switch off the amps and then switch them on one by one, listening for the sound.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2006 10:07 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the tip, Michael. I'll check it out this morning when I open. And, to answer your question Cameron, it just recently started doing this. When I started in this booth, it didn't make the popping sound and that was in February when I started in this booth. So, it's something new.

Jason Setzer
Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2006 09:39 PM      Profile for Jason Setzer   Email Jason Setzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well there is a couple issues here.

1)Popping noise can permantly damage the speaker cone/voice coil
2) Popping noise is usually accredited to amplifiers, typically it is a power supply issue with one of your amplifiers
3) As Cameron stated something with a large inductance ie air conditioner could also cause the "popping" sounf coming from the speakers. But as you stated is hasnt always had the popping sound it sounds like a degraded power supply.

They are both absolutely correct about turning the amplifiers off and always booting the processor first, in car audio for example the head unit has a couple second delay so that it always powers up first and then the amp(s) power up afterwards(was the easiest example I could think of).

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 01:17 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this problem awhile back and as others have already stated, just shut the amps off before you turn off the breakers and turn them on after you flip the breakers on the next day and you should be fine.

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2006 06:54 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Iv'e had this problem too based on my experiences the problem has always rested in the 684 board. next time your tech is present have him check it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-22-2006 09:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually heve the processing equipment on a UPS powered up 24 7

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-23-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Circuit breakers are not designed to be power switches. [Mad]

And what Gordon said.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 09-23-2006 04:34 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there are "switch duty rated" circuit breakers. ALL booth subpanels should use them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-23-2006 05:20 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Adam...if you read the typical duty rating on the non-switch rated breakers...you'll find that you can switch them on/off once per day for over 10-years. Compre that with switching individual components or with dirt build up in components that have fans and it really starts to become a wash.

A big problem I find is that there are only two decent load centers in the US for 120/208 service...Square-D and Cutler-Hammer. The rest...GE and such are complete JUNK and should be specifically excluded from use. Those breakers fail right out of the box...forget about switching them.

Steve

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 09-23-2006 05:29 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Huh. Interesting.

I still like the idea of leaving the sound rack on 24/7 with a UPS. It seems like it's better for the circuitry with regard to the on/off heat cycles.

Is there any equipment that has a fan that cycles on/off or high/low depending on the need? If not, there should be.

The first person to complain about wasting electricity gets banned. [Big Grin]

And just so I'm on-topic, I agree with having the amps off or muted until after the processor has finished its power-up routine in order to protect the speakers.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-25-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here is an update. I followed the instructions and I found out that it was the CP-500 Digital Processor. I was hoping to see my technician today, but, he wasn't at the theater when I arrived. But, I will tell him of the situation whenever I see him next. Anyway, thanks to all of you for your input and information. You are all most kind. [Big Grin]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-26-2006 04:25 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have always used the Ashly amps which have built in input muting to eliminate pops on start up. Some processors (Smart) pop on shut doen and this is a real problem. Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: