Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you test a platter motor?

Author Topic: How do you test a platter motor?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 11:10 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I have a platter motor in a box, how do I test it to find out if its good or not (assuming I dont have a platter to hook it up to). We have a platter motor that was apparently new, but when plugged into a platter, it never gets up to speed. I plug an old motor into the same plug, and it works fine. The motor is supposedly new or rebuilt. Can a motor be tested without taking it off the platter? Pardon the noob like question, but I was curious if there was a faster way other than swapping motors around and retiming everything. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2006 01:45 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What make of platter?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-19-2006 02:36 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinda what I do when I rebuild my platter motors is to plug them into any deck's socket and see what spin I get out of them - both Christies and STRONGS..

...sounds like a brush issue on why the speed differences from the one in the box to the one already mounted for use.

If you're the kind who has an bent for electrical creations, one can built an extension cord to connect between motor and socket to where you can just move the cord around to any motor, plus use the cord as a test cord for a motor that isn't mounted.

-Monte

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2006 02:46 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ask what kind of platter it is because when I got a new motor for one of my Strong AP-3 platter about 2 years ago a sheet came with it explaining that newer motors were manufactured to higher tolerance and thus I needed to fit the motor with a larger drive shaft (provided). My platter were made in 1997 so I assumed it didn't apply to them but I was mistaken and had to take the motor off and put the different shaft on to get it timed properly.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2006 08:50 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are strong platters. The motors actually SOUND like their turning slower. When put on the platter, they cant seem to spin the platter as fast. My only option would be to slow down the used motors to spin at the same speed as the new ones, but that just doesnt seem right.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-20-2006 12:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank - is your speed concern for takeup or rewind..and which version is your STRONG units - the A3 (with the rotary mode switch), or the AP-3 (with the toggle switch below the film return roller mounted on the tower..) ?

My tip on platter motor rebuilding, I found out, now needs this larger drive collar for the newer Ametek/LAMB platter motor and here is the part number for that spindle drive collar:

P/N 1190 and you have to ask for the 1.94 length spindle collar.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: