Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Horizontal jitter in picture on a Kinoton FP-23 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Horizontal jitter in picture on a Kinoton FP-23
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 01:01 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Kinoton FP-23 that has some slight horizontal jitter in the picture, most noticable when running scope films, although exclusively.

There is nothing obviously loose. The only thing that may be an issue is that the lateral guide rollers at the top and bottom of the film gate are spring loaded on both sides (soundtrack/non-soundtrack), as opposed to being spring loaded on one side to push the film against a fixed surface on the other. I am assuming this is correct as designed, but this is the only FP-23 I have ever seen.

Another thought was that the film was buckling in the gate, but with a curved gate and only a 700 watt xenon, this seems unlikely. Turning up the gate tension did not seem to eliminate the problem.

Any suggestions for eliminating this problem would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-18-2006 02:35 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the discs are clean and working properly you shouldn't have much lateral motion. Check how the intermittent teeth are engaging the sprocket holes, the pins should be centred in the holes. If the sprocket is off centre then you will have lateral movement in the aperture.
I have seen the springs on one side (FP20) replaced with metal spacers. I couldn't see any jitter problem with the springs and the spacers also gave a good steady picture.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-18-2006 02:39 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lateral guide rollers could be simply worn, or the springs could be worn or there could be dirt stuck inside. But I guess you already checked that. It could also be that the intermittent has some lateral play and that is what you are seeing. When the machine is running, and you press your thumb against the side of the intermittent sprocket - but veeeery carefully, you don't want it to eat your thumb! -, does that influence the horizontal jitter? It has been a long, long while since I last saw an FP-23 in the flesh, so I don't remember how the intermittent movement is mounted in the machine and if the same adjustments as with later models can be done to minimize that. Sometimes the intermittent sprocket is simply loose and then travels horizontally. Maybe you could post a close-up picture of the intermittent and the outboard side of it.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 06:48 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had previously check everything Micheal and Dave suggested, nothing obviously wrong. Intermittent tight, guide discs not particulary worn, springs good, no dirt, etc.

-

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-18-2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the endplay adjustment too loose

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 07:03 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the endplay adjustment too loose

I am not familiar with that terminology. What is the endplay adjustment?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-18-2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there is a slot screw in the outboard bearing that sets the amount of endplay it should be just snug
you can see it in the centre of the sprocket outboard bearing support

Robert John Jeromson
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Robert John Jeromson   Email Robert John Jeromson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In your photograph there is a screw adjustment on the end of the sprocket, it is locked in place by a hex bolt. This is the end play adjustment Gordon is referring to. Undo the hex bolt and gently tighten the endplay to see if it fixes the problem.

Is the framing in the machine clunky? Does moving the framing knob or holding it on full lock to one side fix the problem? Worst case scenario you may wish to investigate having the machines framing bush replaced.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-18-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it is lateral...check with the film running and the skate is closed...see if the film is curling around the skate where the lateral guides contact the film...if the skate is worn where the lateral guide discs contact the film and the film curels (the runners will beveled from the film wear instead of having a sharp 90-degree angle to them , it will do the sideways schimmy. Change the skate and all will be well.

From the photo...the runner strips look well worn too. Just for grins, change both the runners and the skates (the runners look like they had already be transposed).

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-18-2006 09:14 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, and when even that doesn't help, go on to

quote: Robert John Jeromson
In your photograph there is a screw adjustment on the end of the sprocket, it is locked in place by a hex bolt. This is the end play adjustment Gordon is referring to. Undo the hex bolt and gently tighten the endplay to see if it fixes the problem.
That's where I was heading, too. But I simply couldn't remember if the FP-23 already has the same intermittent casing as later machines. It does.
In that case, loosen that set screw which should be located at approx. 8 o'clock in the side of the circular endplate in which the slotted screw is set. Grab the framing knowb and frame all the way up or down. Insert a flat head screw driver in the slot and loosen the screw. Rattle the framing knob. You should feel the feedback on the screwdriver. Tighten the screw gently until it is just fingertight, and rattling the framing knob does not appear to move the intermittent laterally. Do not overtighten the screw brutally. Then go back on the screw CCW just a tiny little bit, less than "5 minutes". Tighten the set screw properly. That usually takes care of the problem.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2006 09:17 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I am tinkering, what is the proper proceedure for replacing those lateral guide discs? I have spares, just not sure how to get in there and change them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-19-2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be more than amazed if the ceramic discs need to be changed. I have seen their mechanism rust up though.

To remove them...merely grab on and pull them straight out to you. To put new ones on...merely push them in until the points seat in the middle of the disc...it is that simple.

Anyway...make sure the discs are seated and still have spring action. If they don't you might have a job in front of you. I always lubricate the spring and piston (point) area to keep them from freezing up.

Try the skate and runner strip plan if you have them.

Steve

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2006 02:54 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank everyone, I'll give your suggestions a try this weekend and let you know.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 09-20-2006 02:14 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, what kind of a job/cinema is that where you have the luxury of waiting until next weekend "to try things out"?

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2006 08:08 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector is in a private screening room and will not be used again until next week.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: