Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Compact anamorphic throw setting question.

Author Topic: Compact anamorphic throw setting question.
Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2006 02:32 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lens which is composed of a primary and a compact anamorphic.

Primary: Isco Optic Ultra MC 2/95mm
Compact Anamorphic: Sankor Compact Cinemascope

When setting the distance setting on the compact anamorphic, the lens has to be adjusted close to the "infinity" symbol on the compact anamorphic lens to get the horizontal and vertical images crisp and clear. I know the throw to the screen; however, is 72 feet, so why must I adjust the lens beyond the 100 mark approaching the infinity symbol for a clear image?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-15-2006 06:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because the Sikkor anamorphic was not calibrated correctly at the factory. Typical of this brand of lens. You're lucky that it actually gets sharp!

Mark

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2006 08:13 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Robinson
Compact Anamorphic: Sankor Compact Cinemascope
Cheap lenses with cheap results. I know a 4 plex which had to replace them after they frosted within only a few years of opening, the schneider lens that replaced them are stunning.

Isco is a very good lens though : [thumbsup]

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-16-2006 12:20 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not unusual to get a used lens like this. The distance focus ring can be screwed right off if you're careless or want to clean inner elements (not a good idea anyway). The threads are special, actually 2,3, or 4 sets of threads in one. So you can start the threads at 2,3, or 4 places and only one of them will have the markings read correctly although the lens actually works the same. Since you know how to focus it (kudos!), the markings aren't so important. If you want it to make sense you can unthread the front ring and try the different thread starts.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-18-2006 08:02 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anamorphic distance adjustment markings are fine as far as they go and they will get you in the ballpark, but why rely on numbers when you can easily and accurately adjust the anamorphic adaptor manually via the method found here in the TIPS section (see Focusing Anamorphics). This will get distance/astigmatic correction perfect no matter what the numbers say.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: