Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Which sounds better DA20/CP-65 or CP-500 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Which sounds better DA20/CP-65 or CP-500
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 09:43 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Subject says it all. Which method of producing Dolby Digital will sound better?

|  IP: Logged

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP 650 [thumbsup] / 500 / da20 all good

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 09:50 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, I think the CP-500 sounds better. [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2006 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always liked the sound of the CP-500 alot. For a first generation digital based unit Dolby did a very good job, its also been an amazingly reliable unit. It seems to have the right combination of analog and digital features. The CP-650 is still the best sounding of the Dolby Processors and it tracks a digit lower on error rate although its debatable if that makes ANY audible difference in an average print. It does however mean that a given used-worn print might play back more reliably.

The very best SRD combination I've listened to is the DA-20 on a Panastereo CSP-1200. No holds barred these are the best commercial units you can buy.

Then there is the DTS Lossless playback system that utilizes an XD-10.... that and the CSP-1200 are an amazing combination to say the least. Only a few of these players exist today as far as I know.

Mark

In rank of best sound....
CSP-1200 with DA-20
CP-650
CP-500

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked our CP-500's at the wynnsong. Haven't had much more experince. I do know I like the panastereo's we had too. Mod 2B&C's are ok, but my home system sounds better.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-08-2006 01:04 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
#1 CP650
#2 DA20 with CP65
#3 CP500

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-08-2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My list agrees 100% with Brad's. Louis

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 05:56 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-650 has a very versatile set of features. Mainly, the automation & format capibilities of the CP-500, but with better performing analog sound.

The CP-65 is a reliable performer & the DA-20 is a standard for Dolby Digital. The CP-65 will give a bit extra padding to the surrounds' level in Dolby Digital, but a properly calibrated system will still sound satisfactory.

I, personally love the display of the CP-500. Very intuitive & easy to see from a long modern booth hallway [thumbsup] The analog performance is just too shabby for my tastes with the 500. I run a CP-65 with SR right now & I'm totally pleased with what I hear. [Smile]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-08-2006 08:47 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
My list agrees 100% with Brad's. Louis

Yea, but you two are still only standing on one foot.... Mr CP-45 [Wink] . Seems that MR Guttag and I are the only two here that have both feet firmly planted on the booth floor.

Mark

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 08:56 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer the 650 over the 500.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2006 10:30 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
I, personally love the display of the CP-500.
me to!
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
The very best SRD combination I've listened to is the DA-20 on a Panastereo CSP-1200.
This is what I currently work with in our big house (460) seats, combined with top of the line Krix 2 way speaker system, sounds very sweet indeed.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-08-2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Panastereo CSP1200 does have the quietest and cleanest sound but it was not on the choosable list given.

My choices on that list would be CP650, CP65/DA-20 and then CP500 in terms of sound quality.

I am not a fan of the CP500's sound at all...it is noisy and harsh as digital goes. Its reliability is notorious. That said, the CP500 is quite flexible and allows one to create formats on the fly that only the CP200 could do before.

The CP650 is a very pleasing sounding unit. The SR emulation is as good as any I've heard. It is very much a reliable unit. We have only had power supply failures...as opposed to having most every CP500 card causing some sort of trouble over the years.

The DA-20 certainly does well on digital though I don't feel that it is necessarily as good as the CP650. The DA-20's CP card has had issues throughout its life and has caused false format triggers or had processors ignore digital/analog pulses. There are some three field bulletins relating to modications to this card to short out resistors or removing components for improved performance. A big fault of the DA20 is that it does NOT switch to analog until the last "bit" comes out of the buffer...thus timing is a big issue to avoid noticable drop outs on the transistion. Dolby supplies CAT410 modules for use with CP65s to bypass the debounce circuit for the DA20 only...this minimizes the transistion. However, the CP65's audio muxes lack the necessary feedback to avoid the Cat 242's characteristic "SNAP" as it switches formats.

The CP65 does NOT lower the surrounds for digital...it raises it for analog...symantics for sure but that IS what is happening. The CP65 plays its surrounds at 82dBc/side like other processors but it adds a 3dB boost for analog to help with Cat 150 decoding. I don't agree with this circuit and it is possible to defeat it by modifying the Cat 441 card. The Panastereo CSP1200 also has this circuit. The CP500 and CP650 provide for one to boost optical surrounds too. Personally, I find this level diference causes and audible cue that the sound format has changed.

So, given the processors allowed by the subject header...

CP650
CP65/DA20
CP500

Steve

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 09-09-2006 11:07 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But unlike Coke and Pepsi, I'll bet no one could tell the difference in a blind test in the same auditorium. [Roll Eyes]

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-09-2006 11:19 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which sounds best? The one with the Monster(TM) brand cables!

Oh, never mind...

:-)

Alex.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-09-2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP650
CP65/DA20
CP500
out of the choices
better choice
CSP1200/DA20

I find the CP500 a harsh sounding processor and noted for reliablility issues

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: