Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Neumade's Policy On Replacement Terminal Boards

Author Topic: Neumade's Policy On Replacement Terminal Boards
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 06:56 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The wiring terminal board in our Maxi-12 XPC Automation is down. More specifically, the motor in and motor out connections on the TB6 plug burned up. I've bypassed the automation by wire nutting those lines together and using the breaker box to fire up the projector. Everything else in the system works when I press start so losing shows are not a problem.

Neumade says they don't sell replacement boards and we have to buy a whole new system. Is there anything I can do to fix the burned TB6 plug or are we screwed? Can I pick up the wiring terminal boards used as a parts-out?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-02-2006 07:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Follow the remains of the solder traces back to the relay that they are controled by and solder some wire under the pcb
had to do that to many TA10 and Strong SPA automations over the years
I have always had issues with the concept of motor circuits being on the PCB

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 09:22 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That must be a new policy from them because I have bought those exact boards from them in the past.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-02-2006 09:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the motor output to drive a 15 amp, 120 volt plug-in relay to control the motor. No high current then runs through the board or plugs.

The plugs involved are available from Neumade and Big Sky or any really good electronic supply. Just use wire to replace the trace. Do it all the time. Louis

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 11:15 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm told this is a common flaw in this particular unit. I did a search and I'm surprised it was never discussed here before. Thanks for the information.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 09-03-2006 03:36 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with everyone above, and I will add that the PC boards are available. The only exception is, if it is an earlier board revision, and even then many different revision PCB's will work together. If the screw-terminal (and socket it plugs into) are burned up, we can supply just those too.

As Gordon noted, this is a common problem with many, many products, and not just projection automations.

We would be glad to sell you a new PCB, but if you fix it by soldering wires you would probably be better off. It will be cheaper, and if the motor burns out again it will withstand the load better.

If you like, you can call me at Neumade (203 270-1100) and I will help you. I will see about a replacement PCB, or will send you a photoplot of your existing PCB so you can see where the copper traces went, to solder wire over them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: