Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AMC now leaving green bands on? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: AMC now leaving green bands on?
Chris Hipp
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 03:47 AM      Profile for Chris Hipp   Email Chris Hipp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heard a rumor that the MPAA came down on AMC and is now making them leave greenbands on the trailers. Can anyone confirm?

At first I thought "great," but then I realized that this will make their trailer packs even longer. [uhoh]

|  IP: Logged

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-02-2006 10:04 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If true, they should apply the same rule to Cinemark.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 10:39 AM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If true, I would think they would also apply the rule to Pacific Theatres as well.

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought one was legally obligated to leave green bands on? Thats how we operated at Century.
I have seen a major screw-up where "R" rated trailers were shown on a "G" rated film, resulting in many horrified and pised-off parents and hysterical children!

Kutler

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 12:10 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen many theatres that keep the green bands on.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why now? I can't remember the last time they left them on. I remember post Colombine for a stint Regal who used to cut the bands off left them on. That was back in the era when studios were displaying the rating and MPAA reasonin right before the start of the film. I'm not a projectionist, do they still do this and do theaters cut this off as well? I also remember that I went to see some film and a piracy title card apeared from Warner Brothers? Remember these?

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 01:39 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think cutting off the greenbands is the dumbest idea ever. I think all the major chains are doing it or have done it.

They are on there for a reason.

I just got a film from the Muvico Egyptian 24. They obviously cut their greenbands there. When I went to build a print of "Accepted" I found myself confused as to whether or not a trailer was on the film. I almost put the greenband back on in front of the feature. If this would have happened I would have been ultra pissed off.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The one & only time I've been to an AMC recently that cut the green bands off, the trailers were otherwise cut appropriately. I could tell because every splice that passed through the SRD penthouse caused an analog reversion...
Besides that problem, it was better than going to a place with sloppy green band cuts.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-02-2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, the 5 second run on the green bands can be somewhat lengthy, frustrating and drawing some impatience when some circuits are showing 5 trailers before the feature start.

Thus to trim down the running time, I would cut out some of the green to where there were only 2 seconds of the screen. Being that much shorter but still noticable, the patience and anticipation time was drastically reduced.

-Monte

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 02:52 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be interesting to see what the chains that cut green bands off do when they go digital. Most digital trailers are one file but for whatever reason some come with the green band seperate (mostly 'attached' trailers it seems).

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-02-2006 07:34 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dustin Mitchell
It'll be interesting to see what the chains that cut green bands off do when they go digital.
Cinemark's digital show of Monster House 3D had the "green bands" on the previews. That's the only time I've ever seen green bands there.

To the best of my recollection, Regal has always left the green bands on in their theaters around here.

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 10:08 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only time I saw green bands was earlier this week when I went to see a movie at Landmark Theatres La Jolla Village 4. The other theatres that I have been too haven't had the green bands.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-02-2006 10:58 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the MPAA have any say in this matter? How could they force an exhibitor to do something like this?

(For the record, I agree that removing trailer ratings is dumb.)

Chad M Calpito
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 11:05 PM      Profile for Chad M Calpito   Author's Homepage   Email Chad M Calpito   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At Pacific Theatres, where I work at in booth, they told me that they didn't want the green bands on because they wanted consistency. I can't quite figure that one out. Anyway, I happen to agree with Scott that removing the green bands is stupid.

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to Canada, you will see the same trailer, except they are printed without a Green Band. The MPAA has no say outside of the US. Canada's ratings are different than MPAA's. I'm probably one of the few that like the way the trailers look without the green bands. It's very reminiscent of the way trailers used to be. It runs as one complete unit of the show, not this consistant stop and start of trailers in the set. And if you have the 6 trailers we have, it doesn't seem like this endless run of trailers.

BA

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: