Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Converting to Digital.. What happens to my job? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Converting to Digital.. What happens to my job?
Phillip Remington
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 01:35 PM      Profile for Phillip Remington   Email Phillip Remington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know what role projectionist play when switching to digital. I was first under the impression that when this happens this eliminates my job, but now I am not so sure any info would be greatly appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 09-01-2006 01:50 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you are a cinema sound technician or good at IT/computer stuff, you can kiss your job goodbye.

Most DC service contracts will have the company doing almost all of the non-sound servicing, so you won't be needed for any of that.

Sorry.

-Aaron

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 02:41 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A mom-and-pop independent may keep you around if you're not busting payroll after the transition. Understandably, there probably wont be to many independents transitioning in the next ten years. I'd use this time to bone up on some element of the job that isn't going away.

In truth, even with Carmike and Marcus seemingly making the move over to digital cinema this could - at any given point - go cold for another 8 - 10 years just like it did back in 2000 - 2001 period.

William Clark
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 03:11 PM      Profile for William Clark   Email William Clark   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They'll still need booth operators, but the job of a booth operator will be little more than pushing a button to start the movie, so they'll probably start hiring teenagers part-time to do the work (which some theaters have already done with film projectionists).

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 06:40 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They told me I would be out of a job in 1998. I'm still waiting. While i'm waiting I'm getting IT certifications A+ , Network+ ,MCSE. So When I can Blow this pop sickle stand I will be on the road to better things.. [beer] [beer]

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: William Clark
They'll still need booth operators, but the job of a booth operator will be little more than pushing a button to start the movie, so they'll probably start hiring teenagers part-time to do the work (which some theaters have already done with film projectionists).
Sorry to bust you bubble but at least with the Christie/Access IT package this isn't true. It takes less than 5 minutes to 'build' a digital movie, and with the Christie DCA-21 automation featuring start timers no one needs to be at the projector at time of start. Evenutally the MOS (Manager Operating System) will be able to be programed with the theatres entire weekly show schedule and everything will start automatically-the timers won't even need to be set every show.

If your sole job is projection and your theatre is scheduled to have digital projectors installed either work your way into management or update your resume.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 08:11 PM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if (for whatever reason) the start time needs to be delayed a while? Do these systems have a manual override? I would think someone will need to be employed to keep an eye on things.

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the NEC digital package the ticket seller is the projectionist. When a ticket is sold at the POS the POS tells the Server, which tells the projector, to run at the given time.. now thats cutting payroll.. I'm going to quit bitching about not getting overtime now.. [Roll Eyes]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 08:29 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The aspect of being made redundant is something that I have already come to turns with. All I can say is that I wouldnt swap the last 20 years for anything. What really pisses me off is that over the next few years, during the transition when both film and digital will co exist, is going to be so difficult.(For those who havnt run a DVD to a large crowd, well it can quickly turn into your worst nightmare.) We will all have to be retrained and learn how to work with this gear/ set up shows ect, DVD presentations/ Digital Servers. just to have skilles no one will eventually pay for!!! and no job. Its a big ask for an industry that no longer pays well.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 08:42 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It ain't necessarily so...in the cinema I work in they only have converted two screens so far. We run the ads and trailers on film and the feature on digital. No threat to our jobs just yet!

Plus, the system isn't hooked up to the automation yet, so has to be run manually...in fact, there can be more work, not less.

Remember too that cinemas will still need people familiar with sound, automation, etc., etc. - not knowledge that a "newbie" from the IT sector might pick up that quickly. So it's not a done deal that the Projectionist's job will be made redundant - depends really on how the technology is implemented at each theatre.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-01-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I be more blunt...

If the projectionist is required in a DCinema theatre, it is not being implimented properly. There really is no reason for that job.

If you are talking about a multi-purpose venue, that is an entirely different story. When one is connecting and showing different sources on the fly, there needs to be an A/V guy in there somewhere. What we are talking about in the typical DCinema facility though is a standard, play the movie (and preshow) stuff on a rigid schedule, that again, if implimented properly, gives the manager the ability to hold the show...picture if you will, a "snooze" button downstairs if the manger sees the lines getting too long. It will be faster and more efficient than calling upstairs to tell someone to hold Theatre #42 5-minutes.

What will NOT be elmininated are the technicians to service the booth...it WILL take on a different feel. I can say that my experience with DCinema projectors has been that CLEANING is a big part of it...keeping up with the firmware updates and such...fielding glitches and so forth. The DCinema projectors pump air all over the place and as it gets dirty, filter or no, they start to have issues. I can tell you which projector is closest to the popcorn popper as the air moves just by looking at the filters!

Other things I've noted is that alignments on these projectors do not stay forever...if you want to keep your projectors in 1st rate condition (at least this generation) there will need to be some form of upkeep.

Now this does not mean that the projectionist turns into a maid...because they don't need daily, or weekly cleanings and tweeks or repairs (yes their modules fail too).

But if you desire to show movies to the public...don't plan on doing it in a digital cinema...that era (right now error) does not want or, frankly, need you.

Again, technicans still have a place so look towards being a troubleshooter...for both sound and picture and also learn how to optimize both of them to the point it makes a difference.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2006 09:05 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not being fully implemented yet I can't speak to the exact operational details of the Chritie MOS-the automatic start thing was what a Christie tech specifically told me would be implemented. I imagine that there would be an overide, though.

And to echo Brian's statement, sometimes digital can be more work, at least in the transition. With half digital, half film, Thursday's become interesting when we 'final' a digital print and 'open' the same title on film (to free up a digital screen for a new release).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-03-2006 03:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...to echo's Steve's statement on the maintenance of DC machinery: DC cinema is a whole new animal that is going to need some serious caring after - being so new and haven't earned it's "wings" as a reliable platform compared to film presentations.

And let alone the massive revisions that can come forth with DC cinema. For example, take a look at Sony developing the 4k system. Wonder how much caring is gonna take with that system..we just don't know yet..

Thus, advice to film operators: better start getting in some schooling and learning on how to take care of this new breed of animal - if you want to survive and eventually be successful with this new field...and keep your job.

-Monte

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-03-2006 03:48 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The job of projectionist has been gone for a long time. You know it's over when the union removes the projectionist's designation from its name.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2006 08:37 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Tim , the projectionists job has indeed disappeared already. They way I work now is very different to how I was taught and how I studied to aquire my "cinematograph operators licence" in the early days. The projectionists job was disappearing when carbons, cement splices and change overs went out the door.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: