Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Random POPPING noise in speakers

Author Topic: Random POPPING noise in speakers
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-30-2006 11:48 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a few auditoriums where we hear popping noises coming form the speakers. It happens every 30 seconds to a minute or so. Its usually just a quick pop. We use film guard, but I thought maybe static could still be an issue? We are using a variety of processors everything from Dolby to Ultrastereo to Smart, so I'd rule out any processor malfunction since this happens in all auditoriums. If it is static, what else could be done to get rid of it? Other than the occasional POP, the sound is fine. These are all analog auditoriums.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 12:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in your processors, have you pulled the cards and reseated them? You could have some cards that are breaking contact with the sockets causing the popping (in all channels, or just a certain channel-this would help also if you can be more specific in the speaker area..) in the sound.

As you mentioned analog, wonder if there is hairline cracks in the optical tracks since sound optics are very sensitive in this area to pick up. Cracks from film operations, buildup procedures, et.al.

-Monte

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2006 12:02 AM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Potts/Strong microswitch platters? Could be the payout triggering...

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strong platters...I thought of the microswitch problem, but in all auditoriums? All cards were reseated, same problem. Popping is coming from all speakers.

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2006 12:31 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
See if there is a fluctuating fluoro tube in the building. Then check your earth lines.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 12:40 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd look at the incoming power, since it's happening in several unrelated rooms. Something big enough to put a serious impulse on the lines... elevator... hvac motor... something like that.

Several years ago, I had an elevator in the building next door throwing so much SCR hash in the lines, it would get into my audio gear, and that of the theatre. Some caps at the elevator's power supply's power input terminals fixed the problem.

If you put your sound processors on-line, does this happen before your customers arrive? When things are quieter (before/after the day) it might be easier to eliminate the possibilities.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 02:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(uh-oh, wonder if his amps are getting dry caps inside and they are having a hard time holding charge .. and discharging when they want to...)

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 02:44 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you only get it on optical film sound, or on our sources, e.g. non-sync, video etc., as well?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-31-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check and see if your platters are on the same phase as the sound system processors. I've had many instances of microswitch noise comming back on the power line and interfering. This has mostly been in older theaters. I've even had popcprn poppers with internally arcing patrts cause sound interference. Power amps with failing output transistors and several other types of failing parts can also exhibit this symptom. Failing output devices can also be very hard on the speaker's drivers since the pops amount to DC hitting the voice coils randomly.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 09:24 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most sensitive part of the sound system is the pickup system (red LED reader, Jaxlite, etc.) and its wiring. Probably all of these are the same and I would look there first.

What do you have in use? Louis

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2006 11:54 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is a general interference issue (like an elevator, which we dont have) would the popping happen at exactly the same time in all auditoriums? Meaning, if I was in one room and someone else was in another, would we hear the noise at the same time? As opposed to microswitches on the platters where the popping would occur as the platter pays out? Im not near this theater, so its nothing I can immediately test. The only general interference we might have is business equipment, wireless radios (not in use when the noise was occuring), and of course hvac equipment. The noises were heard only when the film was running, not during the non-sync pre-ads

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 12:33 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if it's electrical interference from outside, it would probably occur in all affected rooms at once. Is that not the case?

As Louis said, the pickup is the most sensitive part of the whole system, so it would be far more likely to pick up problems than line level sources, like a CD player or other non-sync source.

Is this something that's just recently started? New theatre or not? It could be challenge to find this, because shielding, the type of wire used to the pickups, conduits & routing can all be involved. If somebody's just recently added some equipment around there, you might have had this problem for some time and never known about it.

Good point though... can you say if the popping is randomly travelling around the booth, and not happening in every affected room at the same time? That would make a difference.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2006 01:23 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a popping problem once. The popping was very random. After wasting many hours I finally rigged up an outlet strip and extension cords to power up the audio rack from other outlets down the hall--VIOLA--no more popping.
I then used an oscope to monitor the 120VAC incoming to the audio rack and after many a bored hours confirmed that there were spikes coming in.
I then found every device which shared this circuit. One of them happened to be one of the "WRONG" water circulators. When the circulator was removed from the circuit - no pops. When plugged in - pops. After further investigation, I found the water circulator submersible pump was intermittently shorting to ground. This cooler has been trashed and the sound is great.
Hope this helps... [beer]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-07-2006 10:51 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sensitive electronic systems like sound systems should have noise/tvss on them

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: