Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Fixed rewind table motor making a new noise

Author Topic: Fixed rewind table motor making a new noise
Matthew Luallen
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 02:59 AM      Profile for Matthew Luallen   Email Matthew Luallen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this. We have a fixed rewind table that is motor driven, probably been in use since 1989 or there abouts and the motor is not wanting to start, you can hear that power is getting to it and its trying, but the head needs to be started before the motor will start up.

Now when I get it started, it is making this noise like a crackle and when I looked underneath the table, the motor has a blue glow in it, very slight but its in time with the new noise.

I have reported this situation to our booth tech, but since we have a new GM and I am the only person that is really in projection, I was wondering if I am right in thinking that we need a new rewind table motor?

There isn't a smell, and the motor isn't warm. I took the cover off of it and made sure the belt was connected and that all the wheels (non motor ones) can turn.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

|  IP: Logged

Dieter Depypere
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 04:31 AM      Profile for Dieter Depypere   Email Dieter Depypere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a capacitor connected parallel to the motor? (just wondering) - could be that the capacitor is blown and needs replacement.

EDIT: My second guess would be the brushes (it all depends of what kind of motor you are using; Michael is right, you should be more precise...)

[ 08-29-2006, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Dieter Depypere ]

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-29-2006 04:46 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Luallen
We have a fixed rewind table that is motor driven
It is good to hear you have a motor driven rewind table. Somehow, I pictured things still to be handcranked over there in Alabama. I hope you also have motor driven projectors!
But in any case, one of the golden rules is that you should tell us exactly what equipment you are talking about. That makes giving precise tips somehow much easier.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 11:05 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours are driven by rats in a wheel.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 11:19 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they major brandname rats or they just generic? [Razz] The blue glow sounds like a brush type motor....if there is not a "brand" on the rewind table, maybe the motor has a name / specification plate on the unit.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 01:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Matthew Luallen
you can hear that power is getting to it and its trying, but the head needs to be started before the motor will start up.

.. Sounds like an old POTTS/BALCO/STRONG MUT .. brushes are shot-time to replace brushes.

He goes underneath with taking the cover off and sees the "blue flame." - that kinda gave it away being those LAMB vacuum motors love to do that when brushes are gone...

-Monte

Matthew Luallen
Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 11:17 PM      Profile for Matthew Luallen   Email Matthew Luallen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone. Sorry about not being more precise, the sticker with most of the name info was half pulled off when I got in the booth years ago. But there is a small metal plate, it comes from Neumade a Bodine Gearmotor. (the ripped off part ends with RT Ultra)

I will try to be more precise in the future.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-30-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brushes for sure. Unfortunately by now the commutator is probably cut down. If that is so the new brushes will fail very soon.

Once we could buy just the armature/commutator, but Bodine has stopped selling repair parts for the older hand-assembled motors. In that case a new motor is in order. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-31-2006 12:10 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okey, you've got a Neumade PRT-Ultra 6000ft rewind bench, is what you got..yea, the gearmotor below on the right side being of Bodine.

Here's the manual on the PRT-ULTRA table you got.

-Monte

Matthew Luallen
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2006 12:48 PM      Profile for Matthew Luallen   Email Matthew Luallen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow. Thanks a lot. I still haven't found all the manuals for half the things in the booth. This is extremely useful.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-01-2006 07:54 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worn brushes and/or the commutator needs to be turned.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: