Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie 4K Lamphouse problems

Author Topic: Christie 4K Lamphouse problems
Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 09:54 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have new Christie lamphouses as part of a new theatre that we opened six months ago. Since we opened we are having problems with one in particular which I am open for suggestions. Since opening the autostrike never kicks in, so if the bulb fails to light on the first strike the "lamp out" alarm would go off unless you are there to manually strike the bulb. About two months ago the ammeter only registered volts and no amps when operating. A week later the lamp hourmeter (digital) stopped working and displayed 3.2 hours (It was at 1200 at the time.) Last week we replaced the bulb due to age. On Saturday night on the second evening show the new bulb had to be changed again because air got in and turned black after 28 hours. The bulb was running at 120 amps (on the replaced meter) at the time when I noticed that the screen was almost dark. When the bulb was removed I noticed blue burn marks on the positive side of the igniter wire of the bulb. I also noticed that the reflector was peeling in the back. We are running at the third bulb at the same amperage. My concern is a bad ignitor or power supply.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 08-28-2006 11:57 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At only six months, the whole lamphouse should still be under warranty. Have you tried calling your tech or equiptment suplier?

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 12:14 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon my n00bage.
Sounds like there might be some excessive heat in there.
As for the cause could it be a faulty power supply or loose connection from the rectifier to the lamp house maybe?
What's the voltage like?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 12:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree - check with supplier for warranty issues, esp. with the igniter (prob is the IG13M igniter being for a 4k ..) - just don't do anything with the lamphouse (is it a SLH, or the SLC model)

With bulb failure like that, check exhaust factors inside and outside.

good luck -monte

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 01:08 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
normally (at least up here) the dealer must ensure that the manufactures requirements as well as legal requirement s have been met at the time of installation
as such if it is miss behaving during the warranty period the dealer should be required to deal with it if the operational requirement have been met by the end user

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-29-2006 04:43 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The autostrike thing is probably just the relay inside the igniter or a too high setting of the adjustable resistor.
But apart from that, you really have some problems which should be looked at and taken care of under warranty. You probably don't have PS or igniter problems (apart from the autostrike problem). Everything else points to excessive heat and too little exhaust (which are directly related anyway).
You can open the igniter after you have waited for a while with all the breakers off and checked that the DC voltage has bled off the + and - connections (otherwise, very ouch) and simply pull out the relay and replace it with one from a known working similar console. Close the igniter and lamphouse door before you power up again and check if the autostrike now occurs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 05:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Start with determining the "no load" voltage. That is the voltage with the rectifier ON, but with no ignition. 80 or more usually means that the rectifier is OK.

Defective parts are warranty items. Louis

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-29-2006 11:41 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is unlikely that this is a problem area since the lamp apparently comes on without problems when the ignition switch is hit. But you are right - it is good routine practice to start checking with the no load voltage. It could after all be a combination of things - slightly low voltage plus a too high resistor setting, for instance.
In this case, since the autostrike apparently never occurs, it may not be necessary, but I usually take the relay out when I check the no load voltage because if it happens to trigger, the multimeter will be immediately transported to a better place.

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-29-2006 09:04 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our technician tells us Christie is using remanufactured reflectors in the assemblies which may explains the peeling. As far as warranty we are well aware of it and taking steps to work with them on it. As far as voltage it is normal. I will let you know at the end of the week as far as air circulation, but I remember that this lamphouse runs cooler than the other ones I work with here after the show ends.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 08-29-2006 09:20 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that the reflective coating is also supposed to absorb some of the IR heat energy. When it comes off, not only do you have less light, but also more IR heat energy in the lamphouse, especially towards the front. This may not always be very obvious in the form of general heating up. Maybe the reflector is simply badly coated and part of the causes of the problems rather than the victim.

Did you check the relay? You can also check for line voltage between 5 (line) and 9 (neutral) on the terminal strip of the igniter. That voltage feeds the relay. If it isn't there for some reason, no autoignition can occur even when the igniter is OK. If you close the manual strike contact, the neutral closes on 8, but you don't have to check that since you already know that works. Since both modes use the same line voltage, it is definitely there on 5, but maybe the neutral connection on 9 is missing or lose, who knows?
It could also be that the diode which senses the ignition voltage is gone or the time delay for the realy is busted. That is the small plugin part that looks like a light bulb. There is a zigzaggy filament inside which sometimes gets smoked.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-29-2006 10:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Kinda interesting on why would Christie use remanufactured mirrors when you think that they wouldn't want to ruin their reputation by stooping low to do such a procedure in a new lamphouse. I think that the tech if doing a good bluff job by pointing fingers on the obvious, but not himself for incorrect installs - but you didn't hear that from me).

When I see a mirror starting to flake thinking the mirror is probably getting too hot, bulb sitting to far back in the mirror, not enough cooling..et.al..

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-01-2006 07:59 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joseph Pandolfi
as part of a new theatre that we opened six months ago.
Joseph, that wouldn't be the Cine Delux, across from the Shick plant on 95, would it? (What is that, exit 39B?)

Joseph Pandolfi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2006 05:59 PM      Profile for Joseph Pandolfi   Email Joseph Pandolfi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the late reply - Yes.... Exit 39B Just a stones throw (literally) from the Milford Four-plex I closed in 2004.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-21-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't had a chance to read through this in great detail, but after skimming I wanted to point out that although Mike referred to a relay in the ignitor, there are two. Swap the black one.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: