Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vic 5 Belts

Author Topic: Vic 5 Belts
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi
Are there after-market belts that can be used in a Vic 5.If yes does anybody have any belt numbers or sizes that i can use to get new belts.
Cheers Ian

|  IP: Logged

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-27-2006 09:29 PM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ian
Why do u need after-market belts? You can just get new belts from atlab I do every few months.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-27-2006 09:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are several different belt combinations depending on the motor rpm
take a belt to a local belting and bearing industrial supplier
There is nothing special about them and they should last about 1-2 years

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 12:26 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever heard of Belt Dressing?
It's a special liquid which softens the belt so they don't become stiff and wear out. Just apply some every month on the belts and they should really last you more than 2 years.
Best Regards
D.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 03:29 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Like I get aftermarket belts from my local bearing supply dealer for the 5-Star/Simplex drives - both square tooth and round tooth varieties and save a few bucks in the process...just havent checked into the belts for the Christie 35/P35 units ...

Thus, I agree with the good suggestion to follow as mention above: is to take a belt to an bearing dealer to see if you can acquire these on a local level, and save a few dollars in the meantime... good luck-Monte

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 08:26 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Guys
My problem is the only belts I've got I'm not sure if they are the correct size.The outer belt in the machine has the tension adjuster almost at the end of the adjustment and the spare new belt is a bit longer than the old one.
I'll just buy a set from a dealer and then I've got a starting point.Just not sure if they supply original or aftermarket.
Are the original belts as wide as the pulleys they drive?
The belts I've got are a lot narrower than the pulleys.
Cheers Ian

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-28-2006 08:55 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most V-5 use a pair of 434 XL 050 belts. Lower speed motor models at 960 and 1200 rpm use other size on motor drive. Belts from an industrial supply or distributor will be sustainually less in cost.

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Ian,

The belt you need for the outer is: 438XL050.

for the inner: 434XL050.

Hope this helps.

Sam [Cool]

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2006 10:04 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys,that's exactly what i needed. [beer]
Ian

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: