Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where did this scratch come from?

Author Topic: Where did this scratch come from?
Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 06:41 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed some strange scratches on one of my prints a few weeks ago, then last week, I noticed the same scratches on a different print. YEsterday I was breaking down the trailer rings from one of those prints and found a section of scratched film and I am hoping someone can help me identify what caused it. It is a series of scratches, slightly curved, and perpendicular to the film. On this print they are confined to an area on the inboard side of the film but I have seen these on the outboard side as well (on a different print, however). These are confined entirely to the base side of the film which rules out platter scratces. Also, since it is only on the inboard side, it rules out a stuck roller.

Has anyone any ideas about what could have caused these? Thanks!

-

-

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-23-2006 07:11 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Christopher

It's most likely the roller that takes the print from the wall and onto the track into the projector. Do you have hold-back tension on the platter to remove the 'droop' from platter to machine? If there's too much droop it won't get a good run into the roller and will rub on the side as you've described. Consider anothr roller between the platter and the roller in question to lift the print up to have a good run in.

What platter are you using? Can you increase the back tension on the print?

Also, from your pictures, if the scratches are on the side you are showing, that's (normally) the emulsion.

Christopher Meredith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 07:41 PM      Profile for Christopher Meredith   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Meredith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Strong platters which, as has been noted in several places on this site, have virtually no back tension. But the film pays directly from the top-most roller on the payout side of the platter to the upper guide roller above the projector head. These are all aligned such that the film sits "flush" in the roller and doesn't ride up on the flanges.

But now that I think about it, a theory has occurred to me. I have some sub-stellar projectionists and one day, I noticed that one of them was running a film with the film cleaner bypassed. But he was bypassing it to the right side (we mount them above the projector, right-side up). So the film was coming out of the upper guide roller at a very sharp angle. Perhaps this is what happened to this print? Are these scratches consistent with that sort of thing?

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2006 11:58 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my, uneducated, opinion, I'd suspect the take off rollers on your platter brain, or their keepers. Check this too, not as likely as the earlier suggestions, and the scratches would repeat less often, but possible. Add to it that the film was run over these rollers many many times. Also check the MUT, the rollers that twist the film along it's path may do this, durning build and breakdown.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scratches on film still look better than the grey-scaled NBC turkey in the corner! [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-24-2006 03:41 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also I would suspect that the print was pinched between a keeper roller and the roller somewhere in the takeup path

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-25-2006 10:57 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although more severe and numerous than I usually see, they could also be "platter scratches" where the film was not guided properly onto or off the surface of the platter, allowing the rotating platter surface to rub against the surface of the print.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 08-26-2006 01:41 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with J.P. on this one. Looks like bad plattering to me.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-26-2006 03:56 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's another thought. The large roller on the lower arm of the projector will sometimes wear down if it is made of plastic. Depending on the angle that the roller is set at to accomodate the passage of film from the failsafe, across the roller, and back to the platter, plastic rollers will wear down on one side and cause the very scratches you show in your picture. Incidently, I also have Strong platters.

When I discovered the same type of scratching, I pulled a number of these plastic rollers and replaced them with nylon rollers. End of problem. Wish I had saved one of the old ones for a picture. One side was badly worn and causing those annoying faint scratches.

I've had no problem since replacing those plastic rollers, so you may want to check yours.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-26-2006 11:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It is important to know if the angle and curvature of the scratches change from the first trailer to the end of the feature. That will tell us if the scratches came from a misaligned or misthreaded roller vs. on the platter takeup.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-17-2006 08:51 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Christopher

Any success on finding the reason to this one?

John

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: