Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A Chain problem. Cant auto align. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: A Chain problem. Cant auto align.
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 06:52 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Cat 701 reader and Cp500 processor. The problem just happened yesterday where I tried to use the Auto Align OPU function. I dont remember the exact error message, but it was something like Out of Range (while running the 69T loop) Did I just not have something set right or is there a problem somewhere? I made sure I had the right loop in and pushed the right buttons. It seems that nothing can auto-align with that projector. It can't auto set the levels or anything. Bad parts somewhere? Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gilbertson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 07:19 PM      Profile for Alan Gilbertson   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gilbertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not uncommon at all especially if you have a older loop. If the loop is new and in good shape make sure the sound drum is up to speed before hit the button to auto align. You will also get the error if LED has low voltage. If all this fails just set Dolby Tone manually and everything will be ok

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The auto align has always been problematic for me, too, on cp-500. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 08:45 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe in auto aign anything If you are competent engineer then aligning it should not be a problem
Often the LED is either faded or out of alignment so it can't get enough gain

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2006 08:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
Often the LED is either faded or out of alignment so it can't get enough gain

Also check that both the jumpers are cut on the small reverse scam board. We got a mothafuckin autoaligner on this thread..... [Eek!] [Wink]

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2006 09:01 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP500 came out prior to the dreaded stupid red LEDs...back when superior S/N was more important (a good thing since it is not the quietest processor)...

Anyway...the Auto Align only works if the levels are around the middle of the range. If they are above about 2/3rds -3/4 the way up, it will complain about being out of range.

With red LEDs, the goal is to keep them running as dim and noisey as possible...as such the level bars are going to tend towards the upper part of the CP500s range.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 10:51 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,

The levels are near the bottom. The LED is new (about 3 months old). If I manually raise the levels then try to autoalign, it should work?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-19-2006 11:00 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do realize that there is more to an A-chain than simply setting the Dolby levels, correct?

Have you read the installation manual (not just the operator's manual) for the CP500?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2006 11:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For best A-Chain S/N I generally find the level bars end up at about 2/3 of the way up and then set the LED level inside it's power supply to achieve Dolby Tone. Then once the level is found always use the power supply adjust to get back to Dolby Level. The LED will last longest this way. This is also the main reason for not using the auto level align feature. With the 500 there will always be somewhat of a trade off for noise vs. LED life span. I maintain a gob of 500's and this has worked well in the majority of them that have Kelmar or C.E. scanners.

Mark

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 11:28 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
You do realize that there is more to an A-chain than simply setting the Dolby levels, correct?
Ummm...yes...I do.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-19-2006 11:59 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
I don't believe in auto aign anything
Amen, brother! I never used that feature, either.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-20-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was at the Wynnsong, our CP500s wouldn't autoalign for crap. I'd maybe get one or 2 to. I'd almost always have to manually align. Good point on adjusting the power on the LED, I'll remember that for later. The aligning on the processor is more for fine tuning. If you are not already in the ballpark, you need to check your other adjustments. Like the LED power, or life, or physical alginment. If you are just a slight bit off, then aligning in the processor is fine, but you should get as close as possible prior.

Ours, BTW, did suffer the problem of being to high to auto align, but were aligned real well left to right, so adjusting the LED juice would have fixed that at the source.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-20-2006 03:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...even though the LED's are not that old..are all of the arrays within the LED lit up being that there is a good dozen arrays per row and two rows of arrays..

Found this out the hard way as well..tried to do autoalign and got the "out of range" flag, so did the manual but couldn't get the levels where I wanted them to be. Thus, took a piece of tail lead from a trailer that is black to use as a viewer to look through at the brilliance of the LED and not expose my vision to the brightness, and I saw 5 arrays burnt out-3 on top row and 2 on the bottom row.

Time for the change.. - Monte

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2006 01:18 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I knew there was only one row of LED's. I have only been exposed to Component Engineering, Simplex basement readers though. Are there other LEDS with more than one row?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-22-2006 05:20 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the Dolby Optical LED units in the newer Simplex 5-star units are in a two row array setup.

Yes, C.E. LED arrays are just the single row variety.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: