Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Power Supply Problems!!! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Strong Power Supply Problems!!!
Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am having problems with my 1983 Single Phase, Strong Power Supply. Friday night, when I turned it on, the bulb lighted Okay, but the power supply did a lot of screaming, almost sounding like a siren going off. But, my guess would be dancing contact points. After about 60 to 90 seconds it settled down to a hum and we were able to stay on the screen.

After the movie was over, I turned the bulb off for about 5 mintues and restruck it again and again the loud siren type of noise came about.

After shutting the breaker down, I opened the side panel. Looked like some squirls many have been in there at some point, the largest of the two transformers was very hot to the touch. Thats about all that I know at this point.

Can anyone give me some idea as to what is going on here. Thanks in advance for any help!

Holiday Drive In Theater
Steve Wilson
Paoli, IN
Home of Ski Paoli Peaks
Ph# 812-723-2345 24/7

"Be there, when the Stars come out Tonight!"

|  IP: Logged

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: Have you checked the muffin fan? and, while you're at it...how about putting some plastic sheeting under that concrete you've got?! That's what a brick mason told me, anyway! On both issues! [Roll Eyes]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-19-2006 12:54 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loose transformer windings? Bad muffin fan? I would say shorted diode is possilbe, but the bulb current would have been very low, if it lit at all, and it would've burned out to an open after a little while - then you would see a 12 cycle pulsation in the illumination on the screen.

I'd say turn it on with the cover off, and see if you can better locate the source.

[EDIT] We posted at the same time, Justin.. good call! [Wink]

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 01:00 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve's running a Super Lume-X.

The fan does sound like your culprit. The transformers get hot... don't worry about that right now. If your light was OK during the show, that's not your problem.

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 01:01 AM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loose transformer windings? Bad muffin fan? I would say shorted diode is possilbe, but the bulb current would have been very low, if it lit at all, and it would've burned out to an open after a little while - then you would see a 12 cycle pulsation in the illumination on the screen.

I'd say turn it on with the cover off, and see if you can better locate the source.

[EDIT] We posted at the same time, Justin.. good call!

Tim, Justin. The picture was rock steady with ample light on the screen, the amps at a steady and normal 75amps. I will check the fan motor tommarow and try to put some oil to it if I can find a place. I will also try to fire it up with the panel off with great care. Hi Jack, its an awfull small fan to cause that kind of noise, but I guess its possible.

You have to remember, the unit was on and the fan is running long before I turn on the main projection switch, which then strikes the lamp. No noise came from the power supply until the lamp was ignighted. I did not do my normal warm up of the power supply as I would normally do either. It that important!

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 01:02 AM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, Tim...you mean "good call" regarding the plastic under the concrete, right? [Wink]

Steve: You can't oil a muffin fan...just replace it if it ain't working! Unless something is caught in between the blades and is stopping the blades from spinning...in that case, remove said object! [beer]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-19-2006 01:25 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You have to remember... No noise came from the power supply until the lamp was ignighted.
It's probably loose transformer windings then (or a loose mount). If so, they'll have to be shimmed.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 03:30 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(wonder if he's due for a new rectifier - being that old reactance (diode) rectifier -20 plus years - is showing some age, capacitors getting dried out,..et.al...)

Seen bunches of those old rectifiers biting the dust and being replaced with newer "compact" suitcase switchers...((just put in a danged surge protection in the circuit so these switchers don't blow when a power spike zips down the line...))

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2006 08:13 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the muffin fan is running prior to lamp ignition...that has a high probability that it is not the culprit...

I hate that muffin fan...especially in the "current controlled" versions of that suitcase...it is a MF to get in/out without taking "short cuts" and doing tricks to hold the nuts in place for its screws. One of the better ideas I've seen is to just mount a fan on the outside...a full blown squirrel cage one so you can clean it and actually pump more air across the diodes/transformer.

If the capacitors are original, I would change them...you will most likely see an increase in lamp life from reduced ripple.

But back on topic...I would fire it up with the cover off (BE CAREFUL...there are many things that can easily bite you) and see if you can SEE or hear where the noise is coming from. Most likely the transformer or contactor. Note, with the cover off, you have killed the air flow of the cabinet so you may need an external fan blowing on it after awhile to keep it cool (there is a thermal switch which will interrupt the contactor switch leg if things get too hot).

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2006 08:27 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
If the capacitors are original, I would change them...you will most likely see an increase in lamp life from reduced ripple.

I assume that this is a 61001 series unit. I agree that replacing the caps is a good idea but from more of a safety standpoint that expecting to get lower ripple...so still don't expect to get very good lamp life even with the new caps. When running on 240 volts AC these units had more of an inrush current problem than a ripple problem. The single phase units typically measure about 7-10% ripple with good caps, and inrush over or just barely at many manufacturers specs. Replacing it with a better rectifier would be the best route. This is one of the more notorious rectifiers ever produced and a new rectifier ala Christie or Strong Switching type will actually pay for it self over 7 to 10 years of vastly extended lamp life. If you go the switcher route be sure that your AC panel has surge protection... before installing any switcher that is the first order of the day.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 09:26 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: would bet on the contactor contacts singing due to moisture. It's been very high humidity in our area,lately. Louis

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 12:59 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve: would bet on the contactor contacts singing due to moisture. It's been very high humidity in our area,lately. Louis

Louis, I opened the side of the box today, made sure all the connections are tight. Cleaned everything good and then turned the lamp on with the side panel off. Sounds like the noise is coming from the Contacts in a contact block that is attached right above the Largest Transformer. Humid, oh Yes, Humid!!! for sure! Louis, you might have this right on. What should I do, just run the machine till something else happends such as drying out.

Last night after the show let out. I let the bulb cool for about 10 minutes and the refired the bulb and I got the same loud noise all over again. It did go away again with time. Today, it did not go away, however, I only had the bulb lit for a few minutes.

Other than the loud noise, everything seems to be working fine!

Thanks

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 01:30 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if it isn't the fan, then the transformer would be the next culprit. Steady buzz as soon as you light up? If the power supply doesn't make any unusual noises until the lamp ignites, you can eliminate the contactor. If it was acting up, you'd hear it even before igniting the bulb.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-19-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry,

Jack you are wrong on that one...there is no significant current on the contacts of the contactor until the lamp ignites.

If it were me, I would plan on changing out the contactor. If you have more than one identical rectifiers in the booth, you can swap them to verify it. Then again, the contactor isnt too terribly expensive as things go (unless you have IREM rectifiers with ABB contactors that are undersized from IREM).

BTW...when quoting some one...use the UBB quote codes. To learn them, use the handy buttons right below the reply window (in the "Instant UBB Code" section.

In the case of a quote...it would take the form of [q uote] "The Quoted Text" [/q uote]. Do not put the space I just did between the "q" and the "u". I did that so you could actually see it!

Steve Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 04:23 PM      Profile for Steve Wilson   Author's Homepage   Email Steve Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
If it were me, I would plan on changing out the contactor.
Thanks Steve, The more I hear from everyone, I keep hearing that it could be the contactors and I belive thats the problem and a good place to start.

Thanks

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: