Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Woody Allen Mono??? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Woody Allen Mono???
Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 09:03 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today we opened "Scoop," Woody Allen's newest film. It is running upstairs on our Dolby CP500. I noticed after the trailers that the volume was very low and only running center channel which provoked me to check on the sound formats in the feature info forum. I noticed that in parenthesis that someone wrote "Woody Allen Mono." Is this something he does for all his films? I swapped it from Dolby Digital to Dolby SR and I think it it sounds a little fuller in the theater (it added in a little bit of L, R, and SW channels - but still no LS RS).

I also noticed Match Point had the same notation as Woody Allen Mono, but when we played it in the same auditorium, I don't remember it sounding as bad as this one.

Would you suggest I play it in the Dolby Digital only center channel and just crank the fader, or continue to play it in SR, which at its normal fader setting sounds just fine.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-18-2006 09:15 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Woody Allen is fucked in the head in regards to audio. All I can figure is that sounds coming from anywhere other than that center channel speaker must scare him.

Play it in SRD and adjust the volume accordingly.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 10:00 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brad:

I saw "Scoop" and the mono sound didn't bother me. After all it's a drama with almost no music or sound effects in it. So many films have overly big booming sountracks these days I was actually pleased to hear it in mono.

Mike

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 11:09 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I like Woody and his obsession for the old days.

But am glad he is the only one!

I have always tended to run his films in 1.66 (I am definitly a 1.85 sort of guy) and do not turn up the sound from the usual setting. I can not imagine enjoying a Woody Allen film loud!!!!

Anyway his films are now a quant reminder of a forgone and different era of quality film. Does stereo sound improve the acting quality? Make a performance better? or just distracting?

Cameron

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Cameron, Woody Allen can really tell a story. And he doesn’t take all night.

However, it is a shame that he shares Paul Cox’s aversion to stereo. Mr Cox said once that he did not like the idea of having a Dolby Stereo Consultant interfere with how his films sounded.

Mr Allen’s choice of music is so good – think Manhattan or Hannah and Her Sisters – that a simple LCR mix would enhance the tracks.

Perhaps nobody has ever explained the proper use of stereo to him. It is possible that people get so famous that it is hard to tell them anything. Some Film-Techers get like that.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 03:58 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So what exactly are these tracks? are they traditional mono tracks, or Dolby SR, or 'A' type, where both trcks contain identical modulation? How should they be played, Academy filter in or out, Dolby NR on or off, centre caannel only, with decoder in, so there is some leakage of signal into L and R, or same signal sent to all three channels? Does this apply to all of his films? Are there instructions provided with the print as to how it should be played? If not, I think a lot of cinemas would get it wrong. I don't think I've ever actually projected one of his films.

Mathew Molloy
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Mathew Molloy   Email Mathew Molloy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woody Allen's films are mono - but are to be played with appropriate Dolby noise reduction when applicable. On the older Dolby A & SR prints it's recommended to shut off the Left, Right and Surround amplifiers to reduce hiss and stray sounds from appearing where they shouldn't. Of course there shouldn't be a problem with a properly aligned SR system. I've worked with several respectable sound technicians who also swear by Mono - so Woody Allen is in good company. Don't forget that at one time Lucas (that crazy ol' coot) felt the Mono mix of the original release of Star Wars was the superior mix. Personally, I can hardly stand Mono.

Gotta love those "Know-It-Alls" who complain that "the side speakers aren't working" during Woody's movies.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 09:30 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to get out your old Kintek mono to stereo remix system, and mutilate that mono track! (Might be OK with Woody's simple mixes.) Louis

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Stephen Furley
So what exactly are these tracks? are they traditional mono tracks, or Dolby SR, or 'A' type, where both trcks contain identical modulation? How should they be played, Academy filter in or out, Dolby NR on or off, centre caannel only, with decoder in, so there is some leakage of signal into L and R, or same signal sent to all three channels? Does this apply to all of his films?
quote: Mathew Molloy
Woody Allen's films are mono - but are to be played with appropriate Dolby noise reduction when applicable.
It depends on the title. Woody's films from the '70s & '80s were "Academy" mono. I believe the first of his films to use Dolby for noise reduction was "Alice" (1990). I think "Everyone Says I Love You" (1996) was the first to use a digital format but with the mix still in mono, and a few since then have included all three digital formats.

Now having stated all of that, I swear I heard a phone ring sound effect come from one of the side channels during "Manhattan Murder Mystery." Phase error?

quote: Mathew Molloy
Don't forget that at one time Lucas (that crazy ol' coot) felt the Mono mix of the original release of Star Wars was the superior mix.
Folks get this one wrong all the time! The context of Lucas' claim of preferring mono was in regard to the content of the original film's mono mix, not in terms of a sonic experience. In other words, the mono mix of "Star Wars," having been performed last in a series of mixes, contained more sound effects, improved ADR, and a different "balance" between the various audio elements.

Here's a passage from one of my favorite articles that should clarify the matter:

quote:
Variations in the soundtrack presentations of “Star Wars” can be traced to the multiple mixes that were prepared to accommodate the different formats in which the movie would be released:

1) 35mm stereo (optical, two-track/four-channel)
2) 35mm stereo (magnetic, four-track)
3) 70mm stereo (magnetic, six-track)
4) 35mm mono (optical)

The sound editing and re-recording team began by preparing a four-track master mix (Left-Center-Right-Surround) which would serve as the basis for both the 35mm and 70mm stereo versions. First, the master mix was dubbed to a matrix-encoded two-track Lt-Rt (Left total-Right total) printmaster for use in creating the 35mm Dolby Stereo prints. Then, the same four-track master, with some enhancements added, was used to create the six-track version. In comparison to the 35mm Dolby Stereo version, the Six-Track Dolby Stereo version during playback offered discrete channels, greater clarity, superior dynamic range, and two extra channels for special low-frequency enhancement, in what the Dolby folks affectionately called “baby boom.” After completing the multichannel versions, the soundtrack crew created another English-language mix: a monaural mix. This would be included on prints destined for theatres not equipped with a stereophonic sound system and for versions prepared for ancillary markets. The mono prints were put into circulation upon the wide national break in June 1977.

Although the 35mm Dolby Stereo process is mono-compatible, at the time those involved with the new technology were, for both technical and aesthetic reasons, concerned about the effectiveness of mono playback from a stereo-encoded print. For similar reasons, a decision was made not to create the mono master by means of dubbing the stereo master and folding the multiple tracks into one. Instead, a new dedicated mono mix was created.

With each subsequent mix, the filmmakers seized opportunities to revise and enhance selected portions of the soundtrack where they had felt rushed or shortchanged creatively. Sound Designer Ben Burtt recalls: “Because we were always trying to make the film better and better and fix things that were not right, there were some sweetener tracks added; things like different C-3PO or Stormtrooper lines [‘Close the blast doors’], additional sound effects, or some different ADR [the dialogue of Aunt Beru].” Knowing that multiple mixes were made containing subtle yet detectable differences help explain conflicting memories of moviegoers who remember hearing a certain sound effect or line of dialogue in one presentation but not in another.

It may be difficult to comprehend today as most major film releases on DVD sport a 5.1-channel digital soundtrack, but at the time, not knowing what the future would hold in terms of widespread adoption of multichannel sound in movie theatres and in homes, some members of the production felt the mono mix represented the definitive soundtrack of “Star Wars.” They felt that the stereo version was a novelty that selected audiences would be treated to only during a brief theatrical run. “George put a lot of effort in that mono mix,” Burtt remembers. “And he even said several times, ‘Well, this is the real mix. This is the definitive mix of the film.’ He paid more attention to it because he felt it was more important archivally.”

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 07:34 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last Allen feature I ran was Curse of the Jade Scorpion. That feature seemed to have all the modern production quality of any major release, but was limited to only one channel of content. Ran that in DTS, SR & USL center-surround; and I can only recommend turning off amps (besides center) with the USL, & I'd imagine some of the older analog surround decoders.

Mike Schindler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 08:30 PM      Profile for Mike Schindler   Email Mike Schindler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Allen is a big fan of Phil Spector. Or maybe he's deaf in one ear. Just like Brian Wilson.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2006 01:02 AM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sidney Lumet ("Network," "Dog Day Afternoon," "Serpico," etc.) is another pro-mono/anti-stereo guy. He wrote about the topic in one of his books. Seems to be anti-widescreen, too! (It least Woody's done a couple films in scope. Though I bet it was the DP twisting his arm rather than Woody getting a woody for widescreen for that particular project.)

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 08-21-2006 02:00 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in 1977 there certainly was reason to make a true mono mix since so many theatres were still playing Academy mono on existing equipment. Many titles that were released in Dolby Stereo (A at the time) had dual inventories. And dual inventories were hated by the studios. I was always very skeptical of how only a short time after Dolby Stereo came onto the scene, Dolby started to claim that the bilateral stereo prints were mono "compatible" and could be used on old, mono Academy playback systems. Wha?

Mono compatible maybe, i.e., both Lt and Rt being folded together by virtue of the single pickup cell, but certainly not NR encoded compatible, in that they could be played on equipment with no compensating A decoding. At the time I was working in a recording studio and let me tell you, playing back a tape with recorded with Dolby A encoded NR without the corresponding NR decoding, well, even to a partially deaf person, it is anything but compatable. So I don't know how Dolby could claim that the studios no longer needed double inventory prints, other than the politics of knowing that if they insisted on two types of prints, Dolby Stereo might be dead in the water before it got off the ground.

Anyone hazard a guess how it is possible (as Dolby claimed) that there could be a print with a NR A-encoded stereo track which can be played without NR and it not sound like compressed hissy-shit?

As for Woody feels mono sounds better than stereo, he isn't the only one. The legendary Arturo Toscanini, as brilliant as he was as a conductor, he was an ass in that the didn't want any of his recordings to be recorded in that new fangled stereophonic system. He said he hated the way stereo sounded....what the hell did he think he was hearing standing in front of the orchestra?! We can all thank the engineers in RCA's studio 8H because they secretly recorded all the performances in 2trk stereo, ignoring the old coot's admonition to record only mono. Some times artists don't really know what they want, or, as in Allen's case as Brad says, he is just crazy. All kinds of preconditioned notions impact perception, especially of sound....it is extremely subjective. Mono might sound good to him, but to the majority of people, if his films were mixed in stereo by any decent sound/mixing engineers, they would sound fine dispite his weird perception.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 08-21-2006 02:41 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Mono compatible maybe, i.e., both Lt and Rt being folded together by virtue of the single pickup cell, but certainly not NR encoded compatible, in that they could be played on equipment with no compensating A decoding. At the time I was working in a recording studio and let me tell you, playing back a tape with recorded with Dolby A encoded NR without the corresponding NR decoding, well, even to a partially deaf person, it is anything but compatable.
Quite a few cinemas installed Dolby 364/E2 mono systems at one time.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-21-2006 02:46 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Yes, Woody Allen is fucked in the head in regards to audio.
I'd be inclined to delete the last four words from that sentence. When you've got a bloke in his 60s making film after film about how a succession of 18 year-olds want to shag him, his issues go a tad beyond not being able to deal with more than one speaker in a theatre (I do admit that Small Time Crooks was pretty funny, but that's the only Allen pic I've been able to sit through to the end).

The explanation I was told for his 'mono only' obsession was that in the early days of Dolby SVA, a lot of installations were so problematic (i.e. either the acoustics of the theatre were problematic or the gear wasn't installed properly) that the sound quality customers were likely to hear was very hit-and-miss. He therefore decided not to 'do' stereo because he wanted to be sure that there'd be a standard result wherever his films were shown, and that customers would be able to hear the dialogue.

Hitchcock rejected stereo for a similar reason: he didn't want customers in a select few first-run venues to get a 'different' track to those in your average suburban fleapit. In particular (he told Truffaut in an interview), he said that if the build up of suspense or another vital function of the film was conveyed through multi-channel audio, then that ran the risk of the effect working on some viewers but not others, depending on which theatre they saw the film in. That's why his VistaVision films didn't use Perspecta.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: