Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Motiograph Research

Author Topic: Motiograph Research
Jim Somich
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 08:17 AM      Profile for Jim Somich   Email Jim Somich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a collector and sometimes-historian. There is very little information available on Motiograph after about 1947. I have a question that maybe someone could answer. I know that the Motiograph AA came out in 1947, but I am trying to find out when it was discontinued and when the Motiograph AAA was introduced. Also, what were the differences between the AA and the AAA? I understand that Motiograph ceased to exist in 1969. Does anyone know why they didn't make it? Looking for any historical information that is not already on your site. Thanks in advance. Jim Somich

|  IP: Logged

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 09:27 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the AA actually came out in 1946. According to Robert Sprague the first ones had a double barrel shutter but they were short lived. The AAA came out about 1953. The only difference I could see between tha AA and the AAA were a 4 inch lens mount and the availability of water cooled traps in the AAA. They also introduced a laterally curved gate for the AAA but I never saw one. I once worked a twin drive in with AA's on one side and AAA's on the other.
Bob

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2006 10:11 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also the AAA had a slip in apperture plate and I believe the allen screws for the shutter were no longer onthe exterior

Jim Somich
Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 10:54 AM      Profile for Jim Somich   Email Jim Somich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Bob and Gordon. Every little bit helps. I have two Motiograph heads that are marked as "AA." Neither has the shutter adjusting allen screws on the exterior and one of them has a water cooled trap! They have two different size lens mounts. So, I am beginning to assume that there was a period where AAs had some of the features of the AAAs.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-18-2006 02:38 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Motiograph expert is Charles Wolk, who at one time owned the Edw. H. Wolk Co. He still lives in Chicago in retirement. Or call Don Marcus at the Wolk Compnay in Chicago. Wolk purchased what was left of Motiograph,

A deceased friend of mine, Frank Riffle, was the chief engineer of Motiograph. They co-invented the 6L6 tube along with RCA in the late 30's. Louis

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-18-2006 02:56 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that xetron was founded by x motiograph people

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-18-2006 07:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A now deceased friend of mine from the Chicago area was a mechanism test projectionist at Motiograph for a number of years till he was drafted or entered the service.... He once saw an old Model K that I have and told me to hang on to it since it was a first month production head. Very possibly he was the one that screen tested it before it left the Chicago factory.

You can always see Charlie Wolk at Showest every year. He still comes there.

Mark

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-19-2006 01:05 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, I was just going to mention Frank Riffle. A wise man, indeed.

Jim Somich
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Jim Somich   Email Jim Somich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sure do appreciate all the (quick) help fellas. What a great site you have here! Your manual section is second to none. One more thing... does anyone on this list have any Motiograph printed information not already posted here? Not looking for freebies... I will pay for copies or originals. I am always looking for Motiograph equipment (AA or AAA) including Motiograph sound. Anyone can contact me off-list. Have you noticed the prices for Motiograph sound gear on eBay? The Japanese are crazy about this stuff!(or maybe just crazy) I can't afford to compete. I'm not sure if they are onto something or not, but many of the Japanese feel the old Motiograph amps were "magic." Thanks again, Jim.

[ 08-19-2006, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Adam Martin ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-19-2006 09:28 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Japanese want the older amps with 300b's in them; not the much more numerous MA7505 amp....remember drive ins with 20 or 30 of these? Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-19-2006 10:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
not the much more numerous MA7505 amp....remember drive ins with 20 or 30 of these? Louis

Actually its more the Aisan clan that is buying tese old tube amps now.... not the japaneese. The last pair of these that I sold went for 1750.00 each... of course to an Asian person in Singapore. With good NOS 300B's worth roughly a Grand apiece even these old amps are bringing a decent price... BTW: The amp was a Western Electric liscensed design to Motiograph and thats why thay are a valualable amp. I know of several different locations where there are roughly 50 of these amps in total.

Mark

Jim Somich
Film Handler

- posted 08-19-2006 10:46 AM      Profile for Jim Somich   Email Jim Somich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I knew this was a design licensed from WE, but the circuitry appears to be quite mundane. The transformers are puny and power output low. I have heard of (rabid) audiophiles modifying 7505s for 300B tubes. What I still don't understand is why they want the tungar field supplies so bad...and the preamps. I have been looking for a clean preamp for a long time...complete with rods and knobs. These guys go ga-ga over them. No question that certain audio items develop a mystique all their own. How much of this stuff wound up in a dumpster? How much is sitting in boarded up theatres?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: