Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kalee shutter problem

Author Topic: Kalee shutter problem
Brett Garten
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 12:00 AM      Profile for Brett Garten   Email Brett Garten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there.

I have a troublesome Kaelee zip shutter that won't stay open - it's currently being held open by a match box.

What do I have to do to fix it?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brett

|  IP: Logged

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 12:36 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the solenoid is not operating the pivot arm.

Check there is power to the solenoid first.

I had one of mine fail it was due to faulty solenoid , I rebuilt the unit by using a solenoid from an automatic washing machine tap.

when set up and adjusted it worked like a treat.

James Falloon
Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2006 07:56 PM      Profile for James Falloon   Email James Falloon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Phil said, check the fuse to the solenoid/ changeover system, I had this go on me in the last reel of a show once, and it took out both shutters on both projectors out. The fuse was located on the pedestal. But this was running kalee 37's so yours may be different.

I was told that the most likely cause of the fuse blowing was the solenoid not engaging fully and drawing a high current, so it pays to check that the shutter can move freely ie not gummed up or bent.

Brett Garten
Film Handler

- posted 08-07-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Brett Garten   Email Brett Garten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice fellas.

I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know.

BTW they are Kalee 21s.

Regards,

Brett

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2006 08:40 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brett. Find the screw! It gets loose. I'll come up and show you some time, main thing keep it tight and nice C/O will result.When the image is starting to get a shadow, act then, or finding the nut and screw after it falls off is very very trickyv [Eek!]
The other thing to watch is wow and flutter in the sound head, when it starts give me a call.I will show you how to tighten the sprocket.
Cam

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: