Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Vic 5 belts squealing

Author Topic: Vic 5 belts squealing
Sally Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Sally Burgess   Email Sally Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, its the inner belt...after taking it off and putting it back on I started the projector and the belt moved over to the far side where it rubs against the back and squeals away. Its giving off lots of brown dust. The top idler is at the right tension. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-29-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the tensioning idler to ensure there is no build up
remeber that basic pulley theory a belt will always ride on the crown and that can trhough a belt off

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 11:40 AM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, I have seen what happens when a belt gets throwen off the pulley, It can be not a very pretty sight.
Ok so this is good one to try and figure out what happened.
New belt in a VIC 5 about 6 months ago, correct tension and retensioned after a few days settiling in. No build up,every belt change all pulleys get cleaned. Started a show the other week, fine for about 1 min, join went through on ads, big bang from mech, ghosting on screen. Stopped, opened up the back nothing, Belt tension fine. Changed belt and carried on all well since. Nothing wrong with anything, all teeth on belt, no build up, cross box good and shutter drive. Im still trying to work out what it was. Anyone??

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-30-2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The belt skipped a tooth? Were you seeing travel ghost from an out-of-time shutter, or just blurring from film that lost its loop?

If it was the belt, the little "keeper" rollers around the shutter and the intermittent gears are critical to preventing skippage - particularly on starts. Note, however, they are not designed to ride on the belt; rather, they prevent the thickness of one belt tooth from lifting off the gears. I set these rollers very close to the installed belt, and then give them only about 1-2mm clearance. Makes for a quieter-running machine, too, and requires less tensioning on the belt.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2006 03:14 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was an out of time shutter. When I put the new belt in the red dots were a good few teeth apart. The belt containment rollers on my machine are also about 1mm from the belt. Have never had these with a big gap.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 04:01 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your belt is fairly new and favoring too far to one edge the tension idler may need in / out adjustment. This can be checked by hand pushing the threading knob after adjustment....NOT under power. The tension rollers are on eccentric studs to allow adjustment and they should be cleaned and lubricated occasionally so they don't freeze up. They are not touching the belt but if they don't roll when touched, they can become dirt traps which could affect the belt.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-30-2006 07:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe it would be a good idea to check with the theatres engineering deptartment to find out where they want the operator to stop and the field service engineer take over

Sally Burgess
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2006 12:38 AM      Profile for Sally Burgess   Email Sally Burgess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I am on tonight so will have another look.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: