Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Possible Film Codename (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Possible Film Codename
Steve Pike
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Steve Pike   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there somewhere where we can find out the codenames of films?

We have a film called Barnet that has arrived - we don't know what it is.

Is there a website which can help. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 11:21 AM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It stars Tom Hanks, Audrey Tatou and Ian McKellen.

It's also based loosely on a famous Dan Browm novel [Wink]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 12:56 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Codenames are used for security during pre-release transit of prints. So the studios really do not want to have those codenames put on the internet. The depots have been stupid sometimes to just put a label with the codename next to the real title.

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 01:09 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was also a long and boring film

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 03:29 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Gabel
So the studios really do not want to have those codenames put on the internet.
If they bothered to inform theatres in advance that a codenamed print was being delivered, no-one would need to.

During my time in the booth I ended up sending a film back unopened thanks to this stupidity, and by the time a replacement arrived we'd lost two shows on the Friday afternoon.

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 04:45 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not security, its to confuse the projectionist and stop them pirating the movie. Cos by the time the cinema gets it theres sure to be a crystal clear copy on some file sharing site somewhere [Mad] [Roll Eyes]

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2006 09:51 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This practice of sending out films under a pseudonym has been
going on for a while. The first time I became aware of it was
finding our print of "Star Wars Episode 1" being labelled as
"Perfect Timing".

I agree with those who feel it important that the cinema
receiving the print, is advised of the codename in advance
of receipt.

Perhaps because my cinema is a very long way away from Perivale,
myself and the other projectionists have taken to opening the
box of a film whose name they don't recognise, and looking at
the head of reel 1. We can't afford to make the mistake of
sending a film back just in case it is under pseudonym.

Perhaps the situation is turning around now, one of my managers
was able to inform me some weeks before "Superman Returns" of
the pseudonym it would be shipped under.

Alex.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-26-2006 04:53 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
If they bothered to inform theatres in advance that a codenamed print was being delivered
That's what the studios and depots have to get their acts together on.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-26-2006 05:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was 'Perfect Timing' aka Star Bores which I packed off back to Perivale ... wish it had stayed there! [puke]

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2006 08:28 PM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is even worse at non theatrical locations. There's absolutely no warning we get from Swank about funny film names, so there's been times where we've thought we didn't have a film until the day before we were setup to show it (and then it's a mad rush to find someone with the time to build it quickly).

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-26-2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So was the box or cans that was delivered with the funny title. Ever opened to see what was inside of the box/cans? Or was it just left to sit there?

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2006 06:59 AM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Problem for me is my bookers (two students from the social committee on my campus) are responsible for obtaining 35mm prints, and bringing them to the projection booth. I'm only responsible for 35mm prints while they're in the projection booth.

For one of our movies, the film wasn't turning up, so I found the cans, saw a funny title, and opened it myself, and realized what had happened. Unfortunately, the bookers are both non technical people, they don't care how it works, they just care that we show a good movie. Granted, it's sort of a unique problem, but why can't the just put the right name on the can, especially when the movie is going to be released on DVD the same week?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-27-2006 08:23 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It only takes a few minutes to examine Reel 1 on a rewind bench to look at the opening title. In most cases, the real title should also be printed on the head leader.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-27-2006 02:08 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
....unless you're looking at a James Bond or Pink Panther movie, in which case the title will be 1000 feet in, or possibly in reel 2... or if you're looking at "The Passion of the Christ," you'll look through the whole print trying to find that title. [Wink]

Code names are dopey. Just put the title on the damn film.

Kris Brunton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2006 03:06 PM      Profile for Kris Brunton   Email Kris Brunton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Star Wars I seen was called SWEPI.. but that is when I first started to see the code names as well.. I am not fond of the code names either...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: