Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Silent Format Orientation? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Silent Format Orientation?
Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 09:27 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to refresh my memory, when a silent format film (no sound track/full frame) has one of those polished emulsions that are nearly impossible to tell which side is base and which is emulsion without scratching it, and you don't trust the leaders because they are spliced, and you don't trust that wet finger test (which never worked for me anyway....I must have strange spit or something), the rule is:

Looking at the film as it enters the gate as the lens sees it, the image should be UPSIDE DOWN and MIRROR, correct? Somehow I am not sure about the mirror thing.

Just want to be absolutely sure. I got a print in that has leaders taped on and even though they are sound leaders, they also don't have an ID frame because they are not originals, so the soundtrack on the leader is of no help. I am going to tackle this on Wednesday and just want a memory jolt. Thanks.

Why am I paranoid? because I once got a silent print that had a splice in it that was a perfectly good splice except for that fact that it reversed the orientation and badabing badaboom, all the intertitles after that were reversed on the screen. The audience could hear me curse from the booth five stories up.

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 09:54 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hold the film so that it reads correctly; rotate it 180 degrees, keeping the same side, it should be the emulsion side for 35 or 70mm, towards you. That's the way the film goes into the projector, with the side that was facing you towards the lamp. In other words, top becomes bottom, and left becomes right. About the only exception is direct rear projection, without a mirror.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 10:49 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Normal 35mm print film orientation is that the image reads correctly through the emulsion side. So the emulsion normally faces the lamp during projection. Of course the image is upside-down in the projector gate.

A camera original (e.g., 16mm reversal film) reads correctly through the base side, and the emulsion faces the lens during projection.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another easy way is to look at the image itself coming off of the reel.

With holding the reel higher than the film coming out of the roll heading downward and looking straight at the image: If the image is upside down - heads. Image right side up-Tails.

-Monte

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-24-2006 06:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geeze Monte you misread the question...he was concerned about emulsion vs base when you don't trust your eyes to tell which side is which nor your spit.

I think Frank has heads and tails mastered.

Frank...don't use spit on a finger...get more gross but it works...wet your lips and mash them down on the edge of the film (normal lip closing pressure is fine, no external force or exaggeration is needed) (not on a piece that will be projected...like the leader)....when you open your mouth...the lip that the film sticks to is the emulsion side.

[ 07-25-2006, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 11:58 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. Steve....AWEsome cool trick!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 04:52 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Granted, I agree, Steve, what you came across with, but doing the spit/lip test is one trick that I never done in finding which side is the emulsion.

I was just helping out a little to make the find easier with looking at the film itself.

thx...Monte

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 09:05 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't your mom ever tell you you don't where the film has been?

Putting film in your mouth is gross.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were there any standard edge markings that were used back then, rather like Keycode today?

I haven't handled much silent film material so would be interested to know if there are other ways than the "lip test", etc.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 10:20 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only edge markings I know of from that far back which could be used to determine the orientation were on Vitaphone prints, which had a footage number between the perforations on one side every 16 frames. This was so that if any footage was lost in an accident, it was reasonably easy to replace it with the same length of opaque spacing so that the picture didn't lose sync with the disc sound.

Surely it shouldn't be neccesary to start sucking films to establish which is the emulsion side - just as long as you can find a title (shouldn't be too difficult, given that silent films have intertitles) and orient that correctly - as others have said, text the right way round facing the lamp and pointing downwards - you should be sorted.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-25-2006 10:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam, Oh I suppose now you are going to say it isn't okay to measure the voltage on asbestoes cables by just jabbing the test probes through the insulation! (especially when the insulation is wet).

Yes, I did warn it was gross (with unique spelling...now corrected) but it is absolutely effective. Then again, aren't most projection booths and projectors sterile environments?

Steve

Paul Mayer
Oh get out of it Melvin, before it pulls you under!

- posted 07-25-2006 11:34 AM      Profile for Paul Mayer   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Mayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not around here! [Big Grin]

Fred Georges
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 02:25 PM      Profile for Fred Georges   Email Fred Georges   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not only Gross but, doing the lip test with a Movie that's a stinker you might just wake up with an awful Film in your mouth! [Eek!] [Razz]

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 03:24 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about having a good suck at an original tinted and toned print, with a uranium sulphate dye for the yellow? Then you'd get a good hit of nitric acid from the base and you'd end up being radioactive! [Roll Eyes]

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-25-2006 03:37 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Processed film stock usually has a slight amount of "positive" curl at lower humidities, as the gelatin emulsion shrinks a bit more than the plastic base as the film dries out. Blowing warm air from a hair dryer at the film will accentuate the curl, with the emulsion side at the bottom of the cupping.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: