Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What is considered a COMPLETE set of test film?

Author Topic: What is considered a COMPLETE set of test film?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 05:23 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to piece together a complete set of test loops. I am curious what you travelling techs have with you. I have enough for a proper A-Chain alignment, but thats all. I can look in the dolby manuals to see what loops are needed, but I would like to hear from the people who are out on the road visiting difference theatres. What do you take with you?

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-22-2006 07:38 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I carry the following with me:

Dolby Cat 69P

Dolby Cat 69T

USL Cyan Test Film

Dolby L/R Crosstalk film (can't remember the cat #)

Dolby Cat 1010

SMPTE Buzz Track

SMPTE PA35 (RP40)

DTS 6-track Setup Disc

DTS Empiracal Test Disc

Dolby 'Jiffy' Test Reel with a few 'reference' trailers added to the tail

DTS 'Buzz & Bill Show' w/ discs and a couple 'reference trailers at the tail

SDDS Test Film with a few 'reference' trailers added to the tail

-Aaron

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 09:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In addition:

1. 3100 Hz for wow/flutter meter

2. Dolby 566 (can eliminate the cat 97 left/right and the buzz track. (More accurate than buzz track in stopping dts crosstalk.)

Don't carry the dts or sdds anymore. Also I find that there is nothing else to have, picture wise, if you have 35 PA and know how to use and abuse it.

Louis

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 06:56 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is dolby 566 more accurate? Is that more accurate just for DTS?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-23-2006 09:45 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that BUZZ will play OK, but the dts will bleed some. If the 566 is correct, then dts is no problem. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-24-2006 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hummm, or should I say Buzzzz... I don't have that problem with the Buzz track from NT. I do agree that the SMPTE stuff gave me that problem a wee tiny bit. I wonder of some of your older Kelmar scanners are sset up for a bit too wide of scanning area??? That can happen. Its also possible that you received some prints with a mis-placed Ditz track... I've seen that too.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 09:36 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the SMPTE buzz is not as tight a tolerance as the 566. LOuis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-24-2006 06:25 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Buzz track has always had a tighter tolerence than Cat. 566. Buzz track is measured test film and is camera original...Cat 566 is duplicated test film and is only as good as the original negative and whom ever duplicated it.

I tend to use Cat 69 (P and T), Buzz and Cat 566.

Steve

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-25-2006 09:04 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

I really think your problem might lie in prints whose Ditz tracks are just slightly off position. Although I have had the problem you mention it doesn't seem to be a consistant problem and the Buzz I use has proven to work perfectly. Steve is correct about Buzz vs. 556. Measured camera original is really the correct route to go.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: