Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No intermittent oil (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No intermittent oil
Diane Linton
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 12:46 AM      Profile for Diane Linton   Email Diane Linton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just ran out today. I put it on the supply list two weeks ago and home office sent 1 of the 4 things I requested, plus 1 that I didn't request, but no oil. I told my manager but she picked up motor oil. (Yeah, like for the car 5w-30)

We have a couple of leaky projectors (Victoria5's) that need oiled everyday. I have to work tomorrow and am nervous as hell about the intermittents freezeing. Is there anything that could suffice, or a place I can pick some up?

Any help appriciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 01:54 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5W-30 would do in a pinch..since gotta have something in there to lubricate things until you get the right stuff..sounds like a rebuild is needed on those Vic5's to put new gasket kits in..

..but too bad you couldn't trade that 5w-30 in for 20w non detergent, since the other stuff foams up pretty good..and foaming isn't the best for projectors..or, even some synthetic oil like Mobil 1 ..

...I've even seen tranny fluid being used for lubrication.

-Monte

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 02:24 AM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know we're not having a state the obvious contest here but it sounds like your office needs to keep you in better supply.
I would keep at least a case on hand with those leakers.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 03:12 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We weren't. And, while true, stating the obvious doesn't help Diane any. On that note, I wish I could provide a suggestion, but Monte already stated pretty much what would be my best guess, and then some. Might wanna check back later though, because I'm sure some of the other guys will put in their 2 pennies, which may help.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 06:58 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Echoing what Monte said, the oil seal between the back of the cross box and the chassis might have failed and want replacing. If oil is leaking, it's probably either escaping from there or the seal between the filler pipe and the top of the box (which I guess will either be a Jubliee clip or a cable tie). The intermittent unit on a Vic 5 is pretty simple to swap out (even I can do it, and I'm not the most mechanically minded person in the world!), and if oil's been spraying around in there it would give you the chance to thoroughly clean the drive train, too, thereby preventing the possibility of any belt slipping problems.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 08:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually the failure of the oil seal on the vic 5 movement is from haveing overfilled in the first place for a long time or far to light weight of oil
The seal is easy to replace but does require some special tools
The motor oil will most likely have issues with the movement and in a pinch I would get some SAE30 non detergent from a garage that deals in deisel engines the cinemecanica line doesn't have issues with a slightly heavy oil as a rule

Diane Linton
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 08:49 AM      Profile for Diane Linton   Email Diane Linton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all.

This is my first projection job so I'm not sure what we don't have that we need, but by comeing here and reading, we don't seam to have alot.

They aren't overfilled anymore, and I think most the leaks may be comeing from where the fill tubes connect. I was wanting to try to fix those when we got more tubes, but no one has picked any up yet. And the last tube that broke off I couldn't seam to get on right. Gaskets may need to be changed also, it's probably been awhile if I know my company.

I'm just worried this pinch will last a little to long. [Frown]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 09:10 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your home office is always this slow, it may be worth it to double order on purpose. Hide one bottle....yes I am in favor of hoarding since the alternate is too horrible: shutting down or ruining a good piece of equipment. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-22-2006 11:24 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Hide one bottle....yes I am in favor of hoarding since the alternate is too horrible
Getting some generic oil is not a bad idea but this person has done her job by ordering the correct supplies. Perhaps its time to let home office learn the hard way that when an order comes in it all has to go out. Beyond letting the theaters manager know about the situation I think letting hime office learn the hard way might be the appropriate thing to do. I guarantee you that after replacing the movement they will definately get oil the next time it is ordered. Anopther option is to just shut down that machine till oil arrives. That'll also get their attention very fast.

P.S. you don't need to visit a Diesel shop to buy SAE 30 weight oil... any auto parts store or lawn mower shop will carry the stuff.

Mark

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 11:33 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the failures I had with Cinemeccanica V-5 was lack of or very light oil in the intermittent from cheap owners or unattentive staff....I have seen the other side; there are three V-5 I installed 28 years ago, with the exception of sprocket replacement, are still purring along [Smile]
A proper rebuild of the movement would buy you a few drums of oil [Roll Eyes]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is odd to have it leak around the filler tube which connects to the bottom of the movement
If it is snug in the movement and the hose is properly clamped then It is unusal for it to leak
More often it is leaking on the non operating side bushing on the cam shaft behind the drive pulley

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2006 01:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
and if oil's been spraying around in there it would give you the chance to thoroughly clean the drive train, too, thereby preventing the possibility of any belt slipping problems.

...or belt breakdown since there are two of those toothed belts back there...and the one driving the assembly gets the most beating. I bet that both belts are saturated with oil if such a bad leakage was present back there.

Definitely get that assembly rebuilt, wipe out the backside completely, and do a belt change.

True, Vic5 assemblies are easy to change out-in a way it's kinda cheating being so simple.

...not any fun when you see an assembly shatter all to pieces inside with the oil runs out - think your company would appreciate such added expenses due to lack of proper maintenance and attention ... on their part?
-Monte

Tommie Evans
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 12:23 PM      Profile for Tommie Evans   Email Tommie Evans   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you use Vic 5 oil on a Vic 8? And has anyone ever made/cut their own rear mech cover gasket for the Vic 8?

William Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 01:07 PM      Profile for William Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email William Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A ceral box does the job very well, 1 of my sites VIC9 has had one for a few years now. Its not leaking so its staying like that [Smile]

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-26-2006 09:09 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently they all use the same oil
at one point cinemecanica was supplying a transmission oil for there machines

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: