Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Remote Start/Stop

Author Topic: Remote Start/Stop
Cody Robertson
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 03:33 AM      Profile for Cody Robertson   Email Cody Robertson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am attempting to hook up a remote that can be used in the auditorium to start and more importantly stop a projector while tech screening a print. I have made a wired remote with some parts from radioshack. Has anyone done this? What suggestions do you have for a wireless remote?

|  IP: Logged

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2006 04:05 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to have a remote start, ensure that anybody who may be in the projection room is aware that the machine may start without warning. A notice on the machine, or on the wall next to it, to this effect may be in order.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-20-2006 05:15 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You can always do it with X10 modules. They have a momentary or latching relay model. They also make a wireless remote control. Get the idea?

For that matter, anyone wanting cheap start timers can buy their alarm clock or computer software and use one of the momentary relay model plugins wired in parallel with the start button. The cool thing about those is that it is accurate to the second.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being an automation freak, I did consider putting in auditorium remote controls. On rehearsing prints I preferred to start the projector manual, but a remote Stop button on hand would have been useful. I always used to keep the projection room doors locked on these occasions.

Some 40 years a projectionist at the Odeon, Haymarket in London devised an auditorium remote control system based on a telephone dial system. Whilst it was successful and reliable, the cinema company stopped it being used as it was not standard equipment.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-20-2006 07:21 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At some of the screening rooms in Kodak, we have remote control of projector start, dowser, and focus. The projectors have interlock switches on both the operating and gear side of the projectors, so there is no chance the projector could be started remotely while someone's fingers are in the mechanism. As with all moving equipment, all dangerous "pinch points" have safety guards.

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2006 12:38 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the Panalert add on for the Panalogic automation, this enables us to control the start stop , volume and other features remotely via a cordless telephone. I works a treat , I run 3 screens remotely while serving in the cardy bar, ushering or cleaning.
I am not sure if the panalert can be interfaced with your existing system but it may be worth researching.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-21-2006 02:55 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Pytlak
At some of the screening rooms in Kodak, we have remote control of projector start, dowser, and focus.
Several Cinemeccanica V-18 installs I serviced in Oklahoma for Carmike (ex-Video Independent Theatres) had this, too.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-21-2006 03:40 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Garage door opener works great and cheap, too. Louis

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-21-2006 03:42 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Garage door opener works great and cheap, too. Louis

For wireless, I've also used television remote control circuitry. Model R/C control systems could be adapted too.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-21-2006 05:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the AFI/Silver, we had the Crestron system incorporate an audio warning prior to a film projector being started remotely (by either wireless or lectern remotes). Since these theatres can be expected to be used for lectures, the thought was that the lecturer would be able to control the projectors...start/stop/focus them.

In order for the projectors to start, the person must press and hold the start button for about 7-seconds which will initiate the announcement to the projectionist to stand clear (the portal Crestron touch panel next to the machine that will actually be starting has the voice)...then and only then will the projector start. If you release the start button early, the timer resets and you have to hold the button for 7 or so more seconds.

Focus and framing are remotely controlled (wireless as well as wired too) but do not initiate any warning since no physical harm is there.

We have toyed with a deactivate switch that the projectionist could use to disable the remote start when they are threading...possibly via a pressure sensitive matte by the projection station.

Personally, I HATE remote starts...I find them just too dangerous but we get the requests none the less.

Paer Hoegberg
Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 04:24 AM      Profile for Paer Hoegberg   Email Paer Hoegberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have remote start, focus and framing (and remote fader). Not wireless, but a button panel on the back wall of the auditorium (next to the door).

This way you can start the show while letting people in, and adjust picure/sound without entering the boot.

No warning in the boot (everyone knows about the remote start, and never had any issues).

The start actually triggers the automation.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 04:51 AM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long ago in 1960 I was involved in an experiment with auditorium remote control projection by Philips (now Kinoton) and Associated British Cinemas.

Click (on page 2).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: