Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Basic Century intermittent pad shoe question

Author Topic: Basic Century intermittent pad shoe question
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-17-2006 10:49 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a very basic question, but one which confuses me nontheless, and it doesn't help that the parts and parts numbers in the manual appear to be confused: on the 35mm pad show assembly, what secures the knob with the stop pin on the shaft, so that the knob doesn't spin on the shaft and the pad shoe clicks open and closed? It looks like a tapered pin. Do you simply push that out with a precision tool? Do some of them also have a screw instead?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 10:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..takes an allen wrench to pull the setscrew out..which holds that assembly in the main boss. - Monte

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-17-2006 11:00 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What? I wasn't talking about the whole assembly, just the knob on the very end of the shaft which closes over the two balls which ride on the springs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 11:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh..sorry on that .. maybe Mark can walk you through on that one then... - Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2006 07:37 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

I've seen em made two ways. One is that the knurled knob at the end is machined one piece with the shaft that its on. If you losen that set screw and pull the assy. from the intermittent there is a small taper pin through the part on the back that is not knurled. Tapping that pin out with a small punch frees the whole thing up. Don't loose the springs and detent balls as I'm not sure thay are available as seperate parts. Also, you may have to press it apart on a small arbor press as the taper pin hole is reamed in situ and they can be difficult to get apart.

The second version which I've seen on older machines is basically three seperate pieces with the same pin through the back piece and a pin also through the front knurled piece. Sometimes those springs actually break in the detent and I also normally take em apart for powder coating. You will need sme way to squeezr the thing back together to get the taper pin back in... a vice usually works for this. Normally in the field that whole thing is just replaced as a complete assy. There is an exploded view of it on page 15 of the MSC/SA manual (rev. 98) here in the F-T manuals section.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-18-2006 08:25 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newer ones from Strong used a "hollow" ball bearing which eventually shears in half...bad news. Have repaired 6 of these recently, using REAL ball bearings. (Bad one looks like "shot." )Louis

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-18-2006 05:55 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Also, you may have to press it apart on a small arbor press as the taper pin hole is reamed in situ and they can be difficult to get apart.
Thanks for the info. The ones I came across are of the latter type, where you can take the knob off from the operating side end of the shaft/stud. I don't quite understand the quoted text though.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2006 06:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Reamed in Situ".... Just some old British Steam Engine slang for... they put the fuckin thing together in the proper position... sometimes in a jig... and then they drill and ream the hole for the taper pin.
Hopefully you can understand what that means..... [Wink] .

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-18-2006 09:37 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, thanks, I had a litle trouble understanding what you meant because I had pitured what you said about the press wrong in my mind. I thought you meant somehow spread and widen the hole which doesn't make sense, but you meant getting the two pieces apart, yes, that makes much more sense.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-18-2006 09:58 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! Multiple parts that have had holes reamed through them can be a pain and may not just just slide apart... sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. A good example of won't slide apart is the older Simplex intermittents that have two taper pins through the sprcket and star shaft... You almost always need a small puller to get them apart.

Well, If you have one made by Strong it will no doubt simply fall apart as Loius has indicated [Eek!] .

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: