Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scope/Flat Fomat release database

Author Topic: Scope/Flat Fomat release database
Leia Benedini
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2006 09:41 AM      Profile for Leia Benedini   Email Leia Benedini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know of any databases or sites which provide film formats BEFORE they're released in theatres? I need to know as early as possible.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 10:04 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Film-Tech Forum "Feature Info and Trailer Attachments" list usually has first-hand information as soon as theatres have received prints, with early information from previews.

Also try:

http://directories.vnuemedia.com/fjiguides/bluesheets/

quote:
A listing of forthcoming features, covering new projects announced in the past several months, plus films that have undergone major personnel or title changes. Data includes distributor or production company (listed in parentheses), cast, production credits and synopsis. Release dates, when known, are listed after the RD. Projects still in development are signified by ID.
http://www.boxoffice.com/

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-17-2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, the sad thing is that this written info is still not perfect - not as perfect as using your eyes to see if the film is in flat or scope..if you know how to tell the difference just by looking.

I run across this once in a while-release info mentions one lens format, yet come in as the other. Thus, I don't trust any written info (course, been trained from the beginning on how to tell the difference with visual contact..) and it would be good to learn this eventually.

(I would change your topic title to something like "Flat/Scope film release database" ..or something to a more descriptive nature....)

-Monte

Marc Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Marc Jensen   Email Marc Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My quick method:

Google. [Wink]

Type "the film's title" "aspect ratio" for your phrase search (including the quotation marks) and you get a page of some ten hits. A quick skim through them generally turns up several identical results and I often duck down one of the links to double-check that I'm not reading information for some other film on the same page.

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-19-2006 12:32 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Google" idea is a good one. If the search term "aspect ratio" doesn't give a good selection of links, try "scope", "flat", or the actual ratio (e.g., "1.85:1").

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2006 01:45 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most accurate place I have gotten my info from:

IME Magazine (Independant Marketing Edge)

We subscribe to this service and they are TOP NOTCH. I have never had an issue with the FLAT/SCOPE formats with them. Every week or two they put out a 'scoreboard' which has movie release info for all major releases and indie films.

As a matter of fact, on a couple of occasions, my booker has given me incorrect info - when I questioned why the format was listed different on IME - we found out that the booking info was wrong and that IME was right!

Here is their website:

www.imeonline.com

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-19-2006 05:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We get IME too. Even they are not perfect - I built a flat trailer reel on their say-so a few months ago and when the print arrived it was scope, even though IME said it was flat. Still, it's right 99.9% of the time I'd figure. (Running times, too.)

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 05:49 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that must of been a film we didn't get.

Heck, the film companies themselves are usually the ones that send out the inncorrect info...

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 07:22 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are labelling laws from which film distributors are obviously exempt.

We can reseive packages of film with a name that bears no relation to the real title, no indication of its flat or Scope status and odds and evens in different boxes.

Sound formats are also a fact finding mission. Like the disease, you could get hepatitus A, B or hepatitus SRD. If it has a time code, does it have discs?

Ah, sweet mystery of exhibition.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: