Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Cinemeccanica console too hot to touch?

Author Topic: Cinemeccanica console too hot to touch?
Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 05:02 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've already reported this problem to management, whom I assume have also notified our techs, but in the interest of potentially saving our tech a service call...

One of our lamphouses is becoming too hot to touch on the front where the projector head (Cine Vic 5) mounts to the lamphouse. What can cause this? It's a Cinemeccanica CC 4000H console with an LTI LTIX-2000W-HS 2KW Xenon bulb. I've ensured that the intake on the back of the console is clear of dust and debris, and the intake fan inside the lamphouse is pulling a good amount of air. The lamp strikes fine, and according to the amp meter on the lamphouse, the amperage on the bulb is right about where LTI's data sheet says it should be (around 65A). None of the breakers in the electrical panel are tripped. What else can I check?

Or should I just leave this all to the tech?

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-16-2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exhaust stack blower difficulties of some sort I would presume. I find alot of theaters have installed belt driven blowers on the roof... these are a bad thing and need frequent belt checks and changes to keep em running reliably. The only advantage of belt driven blowers is that they can be sped up if they are insuffucuent by simply changing pulleys or installing an adjustable pulley on one shaft.... Other that that advantage they are a pain in the ass. Direct drive is best.

Also, is this a glass or metal mirror and if metal is the dichroic coating all intact? If the coating is gone or bad and flaking then the mirror is sending alot of the IR and UV (both heat) foreword. If you can suck the Sunday paper up the stack then you have suffucuent exhaust... about a minimum of 700cfm to a maximum of 1000 cfm for a 2kw lamp. If you are at higher elevation then you need an even larger exhaust blower to get to these specs because of the thinner air at altitude.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-16-2006 11:25 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember that most blowers use generic motors. My experience is that 80-90% of the time they are wired in reverse, by chance. (A squirrel cage blower will suck in both directions....the correct direction may pull in TWO Sunday news papers; the incorrect direction will still pull in cigarette smoke.)

So, if a small draft is found, investigate DIRECTION especially if the motor is turning mightily. Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-16-2006 04:16 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CC4000H usually has a 270mm metal reflector which is quite hot if there is no or burned off coating on the reflector. You may have the optional heat filter and tray which also be burned out. I had one location that the front of the console was hot; we found out that someone had removed the front interior heat baffle to clean ( held with screws ) and forgot to replace [Roll Eyes] This model has a few years on it so the internal blower should have an inspection.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 05:22 PM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours do not have the optional heat filter, from what I can see.

So, pretty much, except for looking at the reflector to see if the dichroic coating is flaked or burned off, then there's nothing I can do myself.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-18-2006 05:33 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for the long delay in replying back to this thread.

The belt-driven blower on the roof was shot. The bearings apparently froze on it, from what I heard. They're fixed now, and the heat issues are mostly gone. The front of the projector still gets warmer than the others, but only slightly. That's probably due to flaking / burned off dichroic coating on the reflector, as this lamphouse had a lamp CATO in it.

Thanks for the tips!

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-18-2006 07:43 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Robert Burtcher
That's probably due to flaking / burned off dichroic coating on the reflector, as this lamphouse had a lamp CATO in it.

Try to get your management to replace that damaged reflector -- you'll get more light and less heat with a new one. You don't want the Vic 5 gate to run so hot that you cannot comfortably touch it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: