Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » TAIL UP Reels in Second Run Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: TAIL UP Reels in Second Run Theatre
Armin E Pohl
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 06:42 AM      Profile for Armin E Pohl   Email Armin E Pohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sometimes... just sometimes... I get a nice delivery of 2 cans of reels that are ALL Tail Up. Is this something I should complain about to the depot or studio to find out who played the print last and blast them for not 'rewinding' the reels to HEAD UP.

any thoughts on this subject ?!?!?!

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2006 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, stop whining and just rewind them. Seriously, the film can come in with any orientation of reels and it shouldn't matter. A reel to reel house will most likely take up on the shipping reels and yield a tails up. Back in the days of having paper bands to hold down the ends of the film, they actually stated to "Do Not Rewind"

I prefer tails up when I get a film for either platter or reel-to-reel...It allows for proper prep, with inspection...for the platter, I'm going to inspect and load onto 6K reels then to the MUT...so tails up helps.

Marc Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 07:16 AM      Profile for Marc Jensen   Email Marc Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's nothing to complain about. Some projectionists have print build up routines that have them preferring to see a tail when reels come out of the can/box, and other prefer the opposite.

The only thing worth complaining about is when they turn up, random heads or tails, sometimes with the emulsion or base side also randomly in or out from one reel to the next. Or worse. And even then it's better to just get on with the job and be happy that the IQ level of these numbskulls helps keep you clearly in the top half of the human race.

Once you start getting frustrated with it, you just wind up furrowing your brow for so long you give yourself a headache anyway.

[puke]

Out of interest's sake has anyone ever done a poll on which way around projectionists like their films wound when a shipment arrives?

Armin E Pohl
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 07:40 AM      Profile for Armin E Pohl   Email Armin E Pohl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually fit 3 reels on a 6K reel and take a peek at the print while I wind on. I then MUT it. I guess I'll keep doing the do.

thanks for the replies...

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 08:06 AM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and gang, is building the prints onto 6k reels and from there to the MUT a standard way to build? I've never heard of that before, but it sounds excellent. Especially because ETS likes to always send me tail up movies.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 08:55 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember "if a print is inspected" it will almost always be tail out if it has been received from a theatre first. Louis

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With new prints, winding orientation will depend on the type of printers used by the lab (unidirectional "loop" printers vs. bi-directional panel printers), and whether any of the reels were chosen for inspection by projection.

As Steve notes, projectionists using 2000-foot reels with changeovers often wound the film directly onto the shipping reels, so they would be tails-out. For platters or large reels, break-down procedures vary with the theatre's operation.

Prints are normally NOT inspected or rewound by the film exchange between bookings, as distributors normally do not pay for that extra service.

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always return my prints tails up, and prefer to get reels tails up. Since we run 2000-foot reels, for make up I check the tail splice and check if the cue needs to be marked then rewind onto a house reel, check the head splice and Bob's your uncle. If the film comes heads up its an extra rewind for each reel.
For break down I just use a shipping reel as the pickup reel and the film is ready for shipping right when the film finishes.

Hey Armin I noticed you are in Burlington, its possible that you got one of my prints with all the reels tails up. What film was it?

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 11:09 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a changeover booth and I prefer getting them tails out, otherwise I have to run it through my fingers to inspect it (sub-run, no telling what the last guy did to the print) and then rewind it again, so tails out saves me a few steps. I do ship heads out, as I build and run on 6000s (only 2 reels on the big reels because of the weight and the 5/16" shafts)

If I was running a booth with only 2000' magazines, I would ship tails out, letting the shipping reel be the takeup, like we did in the old days.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..I remember when prints ALWAYS were shipped tails out from Nat'l Film (and this was the only depot back then..) to the theatres - so we could hand wind them onto our house reels while doing hand inspections at the same time.

Also, with film coming in tails out, there is one BIG advantage - you can cue your last reel on the bench as you're rewinding it.

Welcome to the world of the projection booth - you DO have to work sometime.

-Monte

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 03:58 PM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer tails out too since I run changeovers. Too bad 99% of films don't come that way. [puke]

Ian Woloschin
Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 10:38 PM      Profile for Ian Woloschin   Author's Homepage   Email Ian Woloschin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with the rest of the guys running changeovers, send us more tails up!

My house reels are 40 minutes max (am I a bad projectionist if I don't know how many feet of film that is?), shipping reels come in on 20 minutes max reels. So obviously, we put two shipping reels on one house reel, but if it comes heads up I have to rewind the house reel after it's set, otherwise I'm showing the movie tails up!

Send movies tails up, save the little guys' time! [beer]

(It does add a bit of extra thinking to the process, but the extra thinking still takes less time than rewinding all of the film)

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 03:14 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run platters at my theater and i also prefer the prints to come in tails up. Build up on to 6k reels and then too the platter. No need to rewind again from 6k to 6k.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-16-2006 04:06 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are all a bunch of whiners! Heads up means that platter houses can inspect and build straight onto a Goldberg platter reel and voila, the print is ready to run.

Robert Burtcher
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 04:24 AM      Profile for Robert Burtcher   Email Robert Burtcher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But Brad, not all of us are lucky enough to work for a company that will buy us cool stuff like the Goldberg Platter Reel. [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: