Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Soundhead Oil Question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Soundhead Oil Question
Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Old booth, I got it running again (Baronet, 4th & Kingsley, Asbury Park NJ) and I have a question about oil in the soundhead. In the booth is a jug of Brenkert oil (for the picture head, a Brenkert), a small can of Simplex oil, and not much else.

The soundhead is a 50s RCA "Photophone Sound Attachment" MI-1040E, type PS-24, and it looks for all the world like a Simplex SH1000 but doesn't say Simplex anywhere.

What kind of oil is recommended for this old relic? Oil in there now, have no idea what it is, and would rather drain it and replace with new.

Thanks guys.

[ 07-13-2006, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Gary Crawford ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary, I can't answer your question but take your e-mail address out of your post or the mods will be all over you like a cheap suit. (It's for your own protection so you don't get spammed.)

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 06:38 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
30 weight non detergent. The older RCA soundheads were actually manufactured by Simplex; hence the very similar design. Parts are not the same, even if they appear so. Oil from any source incl. theatre equipment dealers like us. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-13-2006 06:48 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
30-weight is way too thin...try 40-weight it is closer to the correct stuff.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 08:57 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of Nick Mulone's dad ask me what oil to used in a Century C intermittent. I hestitated to answer then he said that he was using 20 weight. How long? "Since 1948." OK, don't stop...it is working for you. Louis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 09:03 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
RCA Photophone manual recommends 40 weight for general use and 20 weight for very cold climates. [Smile]

Dick Prather
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 09:37 AM      Profile for Dick Prather   Email Dick Prather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The RCA MI-1040 soundhead dates back to the mid 1930's with lots still operating. 40wt "NON detergent" oil is what's recomended for normal operation. I have used 50wt for warm booth with platter use. The oil slingers and gearbox oiling do not work properly if the oil is too thin or thick

RCA was making soundheads long before Simplex in the late 1920's. I never heard of them making soundheads for RCA. The SH-1000 came out in 1938 and looked like an updated 1040. RCA had new models in 1938 also.
Dick

Gary Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 11:17 AM      Profile for Gary Crawford   Email Gary Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the help, guys!

Yes, the place is "historic", wasn't sure the equipment was THAT old. Original Supers with hand-crank holes and 1929 "temporary" WE bolt-on sounds heads still there too, but not in operation. Really old Ashcraft arc lamps, and the place runs and runs well after some tinkering. Will let you all know how we make out running the place.

Glad the oil is available most anywhere. I'll go with the 40, no telling when the oil was last changed in there. The booth hasn't run for something like 25 years, but it lives again!

Thanks again everyone.

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more thing after adding the oil; as Steve suggests 40 or heavier, make sure the level visably drops in the gauge glass when the projector is started regardless of the line on the gauge. Have enough oil in there for this to happen.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 03:03 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When draining or filling the oil, make sure the drain tube is open. I've seen a few with drain pipes plugged with sludge (they apparently rarely checked or changed the oil) and getting the old oil out and new in was rough.
When filling, be aware that the shafts that come out of the gearbox are not sealed. There are "oil slingers" that keep most of the oil dripping around inside from getting out, but if you fill the gearbox above the bottom shaft level... well it's just going to drip out immediately. The mark on the sight glass should allow the bottom sprocket shaft gear to be in oil all the time, the oil just gets carried up the gear train while running and lubricates everything. At extreme projection angles the oil level may need to be lowered as it can come out at the drive shaft to the motor on the front.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-13-2006 08:35 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best lube made today that I have used for bronze gear based sound reproducer gearboxs like yours is Mobil-1 Synthetic Gear Lube. If you use this stuff the lube won't turn black on you like SAE 30 or SAE 40 weight will. The gearbox will also last almost indefinately. We always send the customer a new bottle of it with any rebuilt gearbox. Its also fine to put it into existing gearboxes but I'd reccomend a change at 10 hrs, 20 hrs, and then again at 50 hours and about every 1000 hrs there after. You need to get the old oil and any sludge out of there! Note that this lube has the consistancy of about 30 weight oil but because it does not break down it is rated as a 75/90 weight lube. Its really amazing stuff that also doesn't smell nearly as bad as Hypoid Gear Lube does. Also, if you tear down a gearbox that has had this stuff in it for any length of time you will still find a good coating of it on the upper gear... with regular SAE oil it all runs to the bottom of the gearbox in a matter of hours!

Mark

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 01:16 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for curiosity sake, why wouldn't some grade of Mobile1 synthetic be better for a Simplex 1040 film head, than the typical oil used?

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-15-2006 01:24 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW, I have used 90wt. gear lube in bronze gearbox reproducers, as Mark suggests, with excellent results (though not specifically in a 1040); little to no leakage, and the gear teeth hold it well over a long period of time. [Smile]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-15-2006 05:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the soundhead, lubrication is direct. In other words, some of it gets directly on the teeth and on the bearing races.

In the 1040, there is, in addition to the gear meshes, a series of bronze bearings that are lubricated by having one end exposed to oil wetness, which then wicks onward to the place where oil is required. The heavier the oil, the less the oil will flow into all places where it is needed. Louis

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-15-2006 11:58 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger that, Louis. I wasn't sure about the 1040s.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: