Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Anyone used JACRO film cleaning solution?

Author Topic: Anyone used JACRO film cleaning solution?
Gene Stavis
Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Gene Stavis   Author's Homepage   Email Gene Stavis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Roe Co. markets a film cleaning solution under the name of JACRO. I have used FilmGuard, Filmrenew, Renovex II and the old RTI (unavailable now). Has anyone used JACRO or does anyone know the ingredients?

|  IP: Logged

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-12-2006 05:25 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We buy Filmguard from Jack Roe. I've just looked on their UK site and can't find any reference to an own brand cleaning solution, just FG (the site won't let me link direct, but if you select the 'Film Handling' category on the left it'll take you to the relevant page).

Jonathan?

FWIW, we use own-brand Jack Roe splicing tape and lens cleaning liquid regularly, and I've also bought other own-brand bits and pieces (e.g. platter covers) from them in the past - absolutely no complaints. A tad on the pricey side, perhaps, but their customer service is excellent and delivery is always prompt.

Bernard Tonks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2006 05:47 PM      Profile for Bernard Tonks   Email Bernard Tonks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Roe USA lists:

CODE DESCRIPTION UNIT
CJRFCLEANG JACRO FILM CLEANER-GALLON EACH

I too used to obtain most of my supplies from Jack Roe, always excellent service.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-12-2006 05:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gene Stavis
I have used FilmGuard, Filmrenew, Renovex II and the old RTI (unavailable now).
And unavailable for a very good reason too! Man that RTI cleaner was really vile stuff. No doubt that most of the folks that ran those RTI film inspection machnes fed with the RTI cleaner ended up with brain damage from the fumes!
Phewwwwwwwww!

Mark

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2006 09:05 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Carmikes' we used C-Lube. No complaints about it except if left sitting long enough, the oil seemed to seperate from the solvent. At my current theatre, we use Film Gaurd, which I really like. You can buy it in bulk, like you really use that much, and you can get it in standard garden type spray bottles which are useful for saturating the pads on our film cleaner. FilmGuard to my knowlege doesn't separate on the shelf. IMHO, stick with what you know esp. if it already does a good job. Unless, that is, if anyone here can recommend anything better, at which point I may consider converting, but for now I'm happy.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-12-2006 11:54 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once you've used Film Guard...why would you go to use anything else?

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 07-13-2006 10:03 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of the older film cleaning/lubricating solutions used methyl chloroform (1,1,1-trichloroethane) as the solvent. This solvent can no longer be manufactured because it is banned for its adverse effect on the ozone layer:

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/ods.html

http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/index.html

quote:
Welcome to EPA's ozone depletion web area! Within this area you'll find information about the science of ozone depletion, information about the regulatory approach to protecting the ozone layer, and information on alternatives to ozone-depleting substances, as well as information on a number of other topics.
http://www.epa.gov/Ozone/intpol/index.html

quote:
The Montreal Protocol and International Ozone Protection Policies
EPA History Office's Montreal Protocol Site
International Treaties:

The Vienna Convention on the Protection of the Ozone Layer
Signed in 1985, this treaty is the precursor to the Montreal Protocol.

The Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer
Adopted on September 16, 1987 and amended four times (see below), this treaty is the basis on which Title VI of the Clean Air Act was established.

London Amendment (1990)
Copenhagen Amendment (1992)
Montreal Amendment (1997)
Beijing Amendment (1999)

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 12:47 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
C-lube replaced XeKote at Muller theaters once polyester became the norm. I never liked the consistency of C-lube, though it cleaned as well as needed.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2006 08:59 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, now that I've used it a little I prefer FG.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: