Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New Lenard Cinema 4 way active Speaker/ Amp (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New Lenard Cinema 4 way active Speaker/ Amp
Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday we set up this new style of cinema system for testing, by Thursday this will be backstage. I thought you may like to see it before it's hidden away. For over 30 years this has been a pet project for John Bernett of Lenard audio ( pioneer of the high power amplifier in the 70's) .

-

The Chauvel Cinema Paddington, Sydney, Australia. Re opens 27th july.
I thought you guys would be interested in a sound system that refines the theories that brought us the JBL and Altec boxes of the 50's. The center channel is A2 in scale and uses 8 amplifiers, one for each speaker driver. Amplifiers are solid state but are designed to work and sound like valve amps.

The speakers sound great and are clear and defined at levels up to 130db at 3 metres, I was suprised how comfortable it was to listen to and that my head didn't blow up!
The design is not actually about sound level. Clear and Natural audio are its aim.

I spent 5 hours listening to my DVD and cd collection yesterday and was amazed!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy crap! That's massive. This will probably end up being one of the best, if not THE best sounding cinema in Sydney... [Smile]

Paul Trimboli
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 12:08 AM      Profile for Paul Trimboli   Email Paul Trimboli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does this sort of system compare to the IMAX style of speaker? I must say the sheer size of this makes it look much more impressive! Defiantly going to be on my to do list to go to that cinema when I am in Sydney next. Is this an Australian made system?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-16-2006 12:26 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember boys, the best speaker system and the best acoustics in the world will sound like crap if it is poorly, or over-tuned.

Likewise, some decent system can be made to sound pretty darned good (even if the speakers and amps are pushed to their limit).

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 09:11 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cameron that looks awesome!!!
Can't wait to drop in and have a listen.
So that gives the Aussies 3 of the BEST:
The Best Sound Systems
The Best Sound Processor
The Best Sound Reader
Cheers Ian [Wink]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-16-2006 06:58 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Cameron was the guy who built our speakers for the Cremorne Orpheum in time for the release of TITANIC in 97 (one good friend's quote of the sound was 'John, I thought I was ON the fucking ship') I respect his opinion greatly when he says he was amazed at how these sound.

Chauvel and great sound...hard to get my head around that one. [Wink]

Nick Scott
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Nick Scott   Author's Homepage   Email Nick Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So cameron when are we going to put a few of them into avalon? [Smile] [beer] [Cool]

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2006 06:42 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok well....... Brad nailed it, The system is being EQed twice, once by Lenard to match up all 18 amps and the 4 way 24db crossovers ect. Then by Atlab with the Cp650 install which was today.

On Saturday after Lenard did their EQ, I listened to some of my favorite movie soundtracks straight out of the CD player into the amps, it was breathtaking, smooth and natural, sub bass that shaked the seats. I was in heaven! This sounded better than my Orpheum upgrade John, strangely enough this system used exactly the same drivers for the midbass and 2 inch horns that we used. The improvements were with the valve sounding amps and far better bass from the folded bass horns. the super tweeter also made the very top end exceptionally smooth.

When I walked in today during the later part of the Atlab Eq, The Cinema sounded well harsh and top heavy like most cinemas, the realism of the voice had disapeared, The system still sounded better than most, but had lost alot of its exceptional qualities.
Atlab was far from finished when I had to leave so I look forward to seeing whether the special qualities return.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2006 08:08 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Noooooo! [Smile]

Get the Lenard guys back in after Atlab to fix it! (Unless of course everything is back to the way it was once they are done).

It would be a real shame if it wasn't fixed...but I'm sure you know that already. I have GOT to hear this!!!

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2006 02:50 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well Michael, I dont think atlab broke it lol, I feel that lenard probably made it a bit hard for them by not having someone there during the eq, after all it is the most complicated amp and speaker package Ive ever seen, kinda makes a IMAX sound system look homely! final touches will be done on friday with both parties present and I'll let you know the results then.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-22-2006 02:02 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THE SYSTEM SOUNDS REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD. Cinema reopenes to the public on thursday 27th july, so tell us what you guys think when you get a chance to have a listen. I do think its well worth the effort.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2006 01:44 AM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sunday 23 july 2006 First Screening, cast & crew screening of "Hunts Angel", Dolby Digital Mix, The director is quoted as saying "It sounds better than the mixing suite"

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-24-2006 07:03 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Cameron Glendinning
The director is quoted as saying "It sounds better than the mixing suite"
I have no idea who the director is on that one...but really...how often do they say something like that ?

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2006 09:14 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true, John! [Smile]

But talk about cognitive dissonance: The Chauvel, with a Dolby CP-650...Chauvel, Dolby CP-650...Chauvel, Dolby CP-650... [Big Grin]

Steve Maggs
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2006 12:32 AM      Profile for Steve Maggs   Email Steve Maggs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,
Great to see the Chauvel re-opening and great to see old friends responding to this [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: