Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » We're due to get DTS CSS

Author Topic: We're due to get DTS CSS
Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 06:08 PM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

We're due to have a DTS subtitling system installed shorty, and I was just wondering if anybody can provide any pros and cons to the various systems avalible? Are there various ones avalible? Have you experienced any strange faults to look out for? Any overal advice/recommendations would be grately appreciated. Many thanks.

Alex.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-05-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have much advice to give in terms of technical operation. However, you definately want to make sure to get the word out that you show titled movies for the hearing impaired. Do a google search to learn about organizations that support hearing impaired people in your area. It would be helpful to network with them and provide them with up to date show schedules for films you plan to show with titles.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is one in Salt Lake City. It gets used pretty regularly and there have been sopme problems... name me a DTS product that doesn't have at least a few built problems! I'd have to get you in touch with the booth manager at that theater so he could elaborate to you about what has happened. Would be happy to do that and can get his e-mail address tommrrow for you.

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-05-2006 09:59 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have one, feel free to questions.

For system options, I guess you can either have forward captioning or Rear Window captioning. We have the latter. At the time we installed the system, there were basically 3 companies selling displays: Data Display, Translux, and Sunrise Systems. We went with Data Display and we've been happy with the results.

Pretty much the system works as-advertised.

Oh, I guess one issue was that if you have DTS digital sound as well decoded with a seperate box (e.g. DTS-CSS and a DTS-6D, rather than the DTS-XD10 with CSS support), only one of the two boxes can power the DTS reader (otherwise things get...wonky). So i fthe CSS box powers the reader, then it needs to be turned on for the 6D to work. Or vice-versa if you hook it up the other way. Or do something fancy with relays.

There are, of course, the usual sort of issues with making sure your booker knows to get you the caption disc for the film. Generally they arrive seperately from the prints, though, so there is not the worry of missing discs like there is with regular DTS.

--jhawk

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-06-2006 07:41 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a review awhile ago ... clickly me

Alexander Smith
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 10:21 AM      Profile for Alexander Smith   Email Alexander Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DTS-CSS systems are reliant on a couple of things:

(a) Having the access disc in time for the show you've advertised
as having Narration/Subtitling. In the UK the discs are shipped
seperately from the prints, so are subject to the randomness of
the UK postal system.

(b) On rare occasions the DTS t/c is not printed properly on the
film, and then the system stops working (thank you WB for not
bothering to replace reels of the previous Harry Potter film
due to bad DTS t/c!).

If you are in the habit of having technical rehersals, _and_
you have the access disc then it may be worth having the
subtitle projector on while you watch.

In general, very reliable but subject to problems which are
beyond your control and difficult to test (if you don't have
the access disc before your rehersal, you can't ensure the
service works).

DTS really do need to re-consider the need for a "download
your own access disc" secure server, in case your disc is
lost or damaged and you need it now. The subtitles are
stored on the disc as uncompressed mono bitmaps and should
compress readily.

Alex.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 11:13 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On this side of the pond, our newspapers will often denote theaters with enhanced DTS features in each individual film's ad space.

We just got the Star Tribune to denote our handicapped access in the daily adset, and the number of customers in wheelchairs has jumped [thumbsup]

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 11:53 AM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Scott
We just got the Star Tribune to denote our handicapped access in the daily adset, and the number of customers in wheelchairs has jumped
Aren't all theatres handicapped accessible?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-06-2006 12:01 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Older theatres generally aren't. Many require climbing stairs to get to the restrooms, for example, and most are configured such that wheelchairs can only be positioned in the extreme front or rear of the auditorium.

As for the DTS thing, there's not much to say. I worked with an early version of it (it looked like a 6D chassis) and we just put the disks in and it worked (this one used an LED display on the rear wall of the auditorium). Not much else to it.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 03:57 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ours is two story (two houses down, three up) with only a stair in our phase of the mall. We were grandfathered into the ADA, as the building opened one year before it was passed into law.

If a person in a wheelchair wants to see a film upstairs, they take the mall elevator to the second floor & an employee ushers them through an adjoining building's upstairs hallway, which connects to the second floor of the theatre. We note which show they've gone to & usher them out after the show, as well.

Only one auditorium's floor is sloped at a more extreme angle than would allow for a wheelchair, but the upper three rows of that auditorium are stadium seating, with a flat aisle bridging the gap. Whatever lines got crossed with the newspaper got fixed & now our odd accesibility is denoted.

Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 07:44 PM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated. I spoke with my engineer, and we're getting the XD 10. Regarding disability access, we're under going re-development at the moment. We've always had a lift and wheelchair spaces, but now they're sdding more spaces.

Once again, thanks for the help on the subtitling front.

Alex

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-06-2006 09:33 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't Alex Cross the name of Morgan Freeman's character in Along Came A Spider?

Alex Cross
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2006 02:28 AM      Profile for Alex Cross   Email Alex Cross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Micheal,

Yep. But I don't think he was English.

Alex

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2006 03:51 AM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have installed about 40 of these units, the Data display is the best for rear window....the DTS CSS....whoaaaaa....DTS has problems with this unit...I have been installing these around the country since they first came out 3-4 yrs ago...the failure rate is 1 out of 4...brand new right out of the box...after in service be prepaired to replace in 1-month to a 15-months...believe me "you will"...DTS had this problem from day one, still have this failure rate problem, after 3-yrs you would think this problem by now has went away...NOOOOOO !! Now it is a wonderful system for the deaf & blind..Wonderful idea...the DTS is easy to use, & user friendly...HERE IS A NOTE: the failure is going to happen, it will not boot up, have the installer or you can do..write down the time reader delay (TC offset), I write this on masking tape & tape it to the back of the sound rack.if & when you replace the unit with an repair/exchange..you need to do two things...set the TC reader offset, & choose rear window or projector...BE SURE TO DO THIS !!! hope this helps...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: