Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS burn disc question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS burn disc question
Trevor Key
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 01:00 PM      Profile for Trevor Key   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Key   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody know of a way or program that is able to burn DTS discs? We're not certain if we're able to get a second DTS disc for an interlocked show.

|  IP: Logged

Alex Grueneberg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 01:11 PM      Profile for Alex Grueneberg   Author's Homepage   Email Alex Grueneberg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What disc are you looking for and how soon do you need it?

Markus Lemm
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 01:51 PM      Profile for Markus Lemm   Author's Homepage   Email Markus Lemm   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be no issue with burning DTS discs. I have had to do it a number of times since alot of prints don't have discs with them. I use CDRWIN and have never had an issue with the burned copies. Just make sure that you burn at a low speed (2x) and that you use CDRs. CDRWs work but not nearly as good and the old drives can not read CDRWs.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-04-2006 03:51 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any CD burning software can dupe DTS discs since all they are is DOS based information.

Trevor Key
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 08:39 PM      Profile for Trevor Key   Author's Homepage   Email Trevor Key   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks guys

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-05-2006 02:32 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
echo Monte's comments.
I've had 3 prints show up this year without disks. I take my laptop to another theatre in the area and copy their disks to my hard drive, then burn new CDRs when I get home. There's no problem with the copies.

Oliver Pasch
Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 09:57 AM      Profile for Oliver Pasch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jack Ondracek
There's no problem with the copies.
But probably with copyright!

Sorry, this might not be an issue in terretories playing the original language only, but in strange countries such as Germany, dub-sound is a must. dts-discs used to have a conflict with film-piracy as every "pirate" (don't like this term, Johnny Depp might now and then be a pirate, we should be talking of thieves instead) was looking for the dub-sound only (as the picture was already available from the internet, so picture and dub-sound only needed to be married...).

To point this out: dts technically solved the problem with the new "security enhancement" last year, which simple disabled the playback of the discs on a PC using winamp and a special plugin, so discs are useless without the print. But distribution (who doesn't understand anything when it comes to technical stuff) is still afraid of this and doesn't support the format any longer, well, only one major studio does.

Discussing a "dts burn disc question" like the previous posts in this forum doesn't seem very helpful at all. If you don't have enough discs (e. g. to play interlock), ask dts directly and they will send you another set!

Oliver

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-05-2006 02:56 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Point taken Oliver, but sometimes you need a disk "right now" and can't wait over a weekend for Fed Ex or whoever to get to you.

DTS people have said that they tend to "look the other way" copyright-wise when a disk is burned for legitimate use.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-05-2006 05:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There should be no problem with burning discs for your screening. Just make sure they are broken and binned at the end of the run.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-05-2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been able to burn them much faster than 2x. Just make sure the program you use to burn the disk has the option to verify the disk against the image file once burning is complete.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2006 08:53 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your drives support RW, or as the ones we have, as it turns out, are just SCSI cd burners, you may be able to burn to an RW. That way you can change out as needed without wasting any discs. Why on earth did they install burners in a system that will only ever read discs? Anyhow, this option will work only if you have a unit with drives capable of reading RWs, which either means newer drive, or the burners. I'd make temporary copies of the CD to use for the day/weeked, but still call DTS for the missing discs. Don't know that I'd mentioned you copied the discs, even if they look the other way, it'd at the very least be bad form. If the RW's don't work out, nothing lost but the time it took to make the copy, just have to settle for cd-R's.

Ryan Navaroli
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 07:50 PM      Profile for Ryan Navaroli   Author's Homepage   Email Ryan Navaroli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody ever consider a torrent based system of DTS disc iso sharing?

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2006 09:10 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've considered it, and evene looked for someone doing it, but so far nothing. Doesn't mean it's not a good idea. Maybe it's time to start. I'd be worried that doing something that broad will make the people at DTS uspet. Because now it's not just copying discs that you already have, just not enough of them, now it'll be distributing images of the discs. And if one was already tehnically copywrite violation, sharing definatly is.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-07-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan asked, "Anybody ever consider a torrent based system of DTS disc iso sharing?"

This is a bad idea, both technically and politically. Even talking about it in a forum like this is likely to annoy people.

• Politically, DTS and the studios get very upset when they hear about people proposing making discs accessible on the Internet. It is one thing for theatres with legitimate bookings to make emergency copies of discs from each other to ensure there is DTS for a show. The companies don't want to sanction that, but they understand your heart is in the right place.
    Their larger concern is that distribution of discs over the Internet will allow unauthorized individuals to get access to motion picture soundtracks.

In today's environment, with the industry so concerned about piracy, it becomes even more important for the studios to avoid anything that might even give the appearance of making piracy easier (and yes, soundtracks are an issue for piracy).

If DTS and studios were to permit electronic distribution of DTS discs, they would want to centrally control it, e.g. via a secure web site. (Of course, this has been proposed to them many times and they have declined, still not feeling that it is sufficient secure).
  • Technically speaking, BitTorrent works by having the users who are downloading a given file also upload portions of it to other users at the same time. Generally, the only time someone is uploading a file is when they are also downloading that same file. As a result, BitTorrent doesn't make much sense for something like DTS discs where they would only be infrequently downloaded, and it would be rare to have multiple people downloading the same disc at the same time.

The other advantage of BitTorrent is to reduce the bandwidth load on a central server. But given the small number of people who have legitimate need to download DTS discs (the ones whose discs didn't show up for a particular engagement, particularly a non-break opening), it's hard to imagine a central server getting overloaded.
--jhawk

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2006 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Hawkinson
But given the small number of people who have legitimate need to download DTS discs (the ones whose discs didn't show up for a particular engagement, particularly a non-break opening), it's hard to imagine a central server getting overloaded.
Indeed. The server wouldn't even have to be anything super powerful, just with a damned lot of hard drive space and a hefty amount of bandwidth.

I've offered before to host the files for free under whatever security dts or the studios wanted, but again like John explained the industry is so concerned about piracy that even logical ideas in the best interest of the patrons are not considered.

I still think it's funny how many people "camcorder" a movie in a theater. First off, almost all of the bootleg videos I've heard of have a timecode...so that sure as hell didn't come from a theater. Second, why a theater? Why not a drive-in? At least with the drive-in, the pirate would have little to no chance of getting caught, and have direct FM stereo sound to plug into as well.

Pirates are stupid. They aren't going to go to the hassle of trying to decode DTS discs.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: