Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » maxi 12pc automation problem

Author Topic: maxi 12pc automation problem
Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 08:31 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a projector that shuts down intermittently and quite
(rarely) in the middle of shows, and never when I'm running the booth. Any ideas? could it be a faulty relay? anyone with a similar problem? It sounds logical to blame the automation but I'm stumped on this one [uhoh]

automation : Nuemade Maxi 12x pc with big sky que detector.

|  IP: Logged

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 09:07 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,
Since you have never witnessed it, it is hard to determine. I am not familiar with the Big Sky cue detector. Does it sense presence and motion? If so, make sure the sensors are clean. Also check the wire terminations at both the cue detector and the automation. Also, does the platter have a wrap detector? If so is it hooked into the automation to kill the projector?

Rick

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 09:13 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be a long shot but I had one of these that would occasionally shut down when the bulb struck, perhaps the bulb is blinking out during the show and on restrike it greaks out the automation.

Mike

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 09:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your ideas Rick, Mike you may be on to something.. the big sky que detector reads que tapes that are silver rectangles about 1/4" * 1/2" in dimension our automation is set to go through the shutdown sequence after reading 4 individual tapes. Yes rick our platter does have a wrap detector, and it does work and sounds an audible alarm when it trips... my operators are finding the machine in the shut down state with the sound triped back into non-sync and the lamp off. this replicates the shutdown sequence with one missing detail. the tail has not run out of the machine.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 11:27 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I take it you're not hearing the alarm when these intermittent shutdowns happen, and hence, you're not suspecting they've been tripped?

Check all the microswitches. On the platter failsafe, make sure they're mounted tight, and at the proper angle for the switch to make contact. Check the spade plugs on that Big Sky failsafe, too. Clean off any dust or grease. The Maxi 12 is a reliable unit, I've only had to change a few diodes on the matrix and a couple relays over 5 years of using them. It could be a faulty board in the unit, but they're sensitive to any signals they get from the switches, including dirty or sensitive switches.

Kevin Raisler
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 12:25 PM      Profile for Kevin Raisler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, yes that was my initial reaction. Your post makes a world of sence. I inspected the switches and although I found nothing odvious, I did clean all the connections with alcohol, and made sure everything was tight. Sometimes I suspect my operators of being too agressive when they thread up, maybe there punching the wrap detector switch as they thread at 100 mph? Something tells me I may never know... [eyes]

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 12:51 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Especially the SPECO wrap detectors. I can't count how many times I cringed upon hearing people whiz that roller up the track & slam it back down while threading. Strong's design is better, but what a hunk of rollers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: