Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Absolute screen size and chord depth (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Absolute screen size and chord depth
Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-01-2006 07:07 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For curved screen installations, is there a formula for calculating the actual size of the screen based on the width measured in a straight line across from the left to the right edge and the chord depth, the distance between the phyiscal middle of the screen and the middle point of that straight line? In order to arrive at the actual size of the screen.
I can work it out by drawing the diagram on paper, but I can't derive a simple formula.
If the screen was curved around 180°, then the relationship between the straight line (in that case, the diameter) and the chord depth (the radius) would be simply 2/1 and the actual screen size simply diameter x π /2. OK, but how do you calculate the relationship between the straight line (an intersection of the circle, or whatever that is called in English) and the chord depth, in this case a segment of the radius. Or do they change proportionally, in other words the intersecting straight line from left to right edge will always yield the actual screen size
if taken x π/2? I am a little confused. Probably a very simple case of not seeing the forest because of the trees.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2006 07:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael,

The length of an arc is calculated as S = R*Theta

Where S = Arc length, R = Radius and Theta = the angle of the arc in RADIANS.

If you know your geometry you can work back to get R and Theta (note Radians = Pi/180 * Degrees).

If you don't know how to work geometry and algebra it will be get a little tricky to set it up.

The Radius will be equal (C^2/8CD)+ CD/2 where C = the Chord, CD = Chord Depth.

So take a hypothetical set up where the measured chord is 60-feet and the chord depth is 8-feet. By plugging in all the numbers we get to radius of the screen to be 60.25-feet.

The Radius and Chord/2 set up a right trangle so that 2*ArcSin (C/2)/R gives us the angle theta in degrees (in this example 59.73 degrees. Multiply that by Pi/180 and we get 1.042 radians. So the arc length in this example is 62'-9.5" or there abouts...not taking into account stretching and such.

It is a lot easier to show this on paper and drawing it out.

Steve

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-01-2006 09:44 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the explanation. Although I went through this hell at one point in my life long ago, geometry has never been my strength, it really makes my head smoke. I have a hard time working it out on paper, too. I can mostly follow your explanation though, so
2*ArcSin (C/2)/R
in the given example
2*ArcSin (60/2)/60.25
2*ArcSin 0.4979
2* 29.8611
=59.7222 degrees
then
*π/180
=1.0423
=62.7985
or in more realistic figures, 62.8' or 62'9.6'' or let's say 62.10''
Yes, that makes sense. I can not say that I understand every single step fully, I would have to do a little more reading up, but I understand it far enough to "accept" it and work with it.
So, a screen with, let's say, a chord length of 35' and a chord depth of 1.5' would have a radius of (35^2/8*1.5)+1.5/2=102.85
Applying the next steps of the formula,
2*ArcSin (C/2)/R
2*ArcSin (35/2)/102.85
2*ArcSin 0.1701
2*9.7936
=19.5872 degrees
*π/180
=0.3418 radians
Then,
102.85*0.3418
=35.1541 or roughly 35'2" - the curvature would be extremely shallow, but it is a practice example only anyway.

But it starts to make sense to me. I need a little bit more reading up to understand every step, but the formula as such seems easily enough appliable (with a little cheating - I use a ArcSin calculator, if I tried to work that out on paper, my head would fail from overheating).

So the complete formula would look like this:
((C^2/8CD)+ CD/2)*((2*ArcSin(C/2)/R)*0.0174)

Do you usually curve the screen around the portholes in your designs, and do you get the actual screen (arc) size from CAD, or do you calculate it according to this method for each project?

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2006 11:45 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, SHIT!!! i just email the drawings to my screen guy!

Rick

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2006 02:47 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curved screen? The Tara had one, it was only curved along one axis. It was smaller than the one at the Wynnsong now, which is flat.
Catch me up. I know optically, light radiates out. So the larger a screen, the more it will see distortion of the images outward. Thus, you will need a screen curved to a point where the light hits it squarely and evenly. In other words, your radius should be your distance to the projector, on both the vertical and horizontal axis. That's just on an ideal standpoint. We now have lenses that correct for the distortion, designed specially for flat screens. We have lenses designed for horizontally curved screens, like the Tara. And then there's the lenses for the concave screens, like I described above. Which setup would you think is better? To use a correting lens on a flat screen, or just bite the bullet and set up a curved or concave screen? Which one is more comfortable for the audience, I suspect that a concave screen might be a bit odd to look at.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2006 07:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving from most recent to older...

Lenses are not as flat field corrected as you would like to think...they have much better depth of focus than they used to and this gives them that appearance. If you think about it...a 50mm lens does not know how far the screen is away so how does a designer design it for a flat screen. If the screen happens to be closer then the lens will move towards the screen to maintain focus but in doing so, moves away from the film plane so if it was designed to be x distance from the film plane it is no longer there. I have noted that lens designers do expect a curved film plane...a modern lens on a straight gate does not do as well as an older design. I have also noted that some lenses do better on curved screens than others. All lens manufacturers and every engineered projection process has come to the same conclusion that the screen has to be curved for optimum presentation...how much to curve it though varies greatly.

Since I calculate my own curved screens (for best light, or whatever the reason it is being curved), I end up having to specify the actual size the screen must be ordered. I then also have to check with whomever is making the frame to ensure that we are on the same page as far as arc length vs chord.

quote: Michael Schaffer
Do you usually curve the screen around the portholes in your designs, and do you get the actual screen (arc) size from CAD, or do you calculate it according to this method for each project?
I don't get the "porthole" part. I don't do "scope radius" screens as a general rule. Most of my curved screens have a radius notably shorter than the throw in order to get better light.

In order to do that, I use one of two programs (one I wrote in Mathematica some years ago) that uses some calculus to find the maxima of light reflected back to the audience based on projector(s) location, screen size/location and audience seating area.

Since I already have the radius and chord when I design the screens, I'm already at S=R*Theta part.

I did the rest for your benefit. I'm reasonably comfortable with geometry and rather than memorize a formula, I just generate them as needed. My memory isn't so good about some things (and extremely good in others...normally trivial crap that doesn't seem to help)...as such I found it much easier to memorize the basics or the root of things...and then just generate the rest on an as-needed basis. Most things on an arc have the radius multiplied by something. So in this case, it is the radius multipled by the angle equals the arc length...if it were velocity of a shutter blade of say 12" it would be the radius times the angular speed . Most 2-wing shutters run at 1440RPM so multiply that by 2Pi to get 9047.79 Rad/Min. Multiply by 12-inches to get 108,573.4 inches/min at the outer part of the 12-inch blade. As you can see it is the exact same concept so it is easy to remember since one can use it any time one needs to work with angular travel. At least that is how I keep it all straight.

For me, the CAD part comes at the end when the design needs to go into a blueprint and also for the screen/frame fabrication.

If all you need is the arc length all of the time, why not set up a spread sheet with the formulas you need and then make a template of it...most every computer nowadays has some spreadsheet program on it (Excel if you have Microsoft office). Then you can bang em out as needed without having to remember anything (but where you put the template). I do this for amplifier power now...I got tired of loading the information into my calculators since that requires logrithmic summations and such...very doable on an HP calculator but once you do it more than a few times, it is more efficient to just set up a spread sheet that is ready willing and able.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-02-2006 02:24 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
if it were velocity of a shutter blade of say 12" it would be the radius times the angular speed . Most 2-wing shutters run at 1440RPM so multiply that by 2Pi to get 9047.79 Rad/Min. Multiply by 12-inches to get 108,573.4 inches/min at the outer part of the 12-inch blade. As you can see it is the exact same concept so it is easy to remember since one can use it any time one needs to work with angular travel.
I don't quite understand where this comes in handy?

I don't get the "porthole" part. I don't do "scope radius" screens as a general rule. Most of my curved screens have a radius notably shorter than the throw in order to get better light.
I meant around the approximate lens location, of course, not the porthole. That isn't a point location anyway. In the finished setup, the ideal lens location is then found by moving the projector closer and further away.
So I understand that most of the screen setups you design are actually curved deeper?

I did the rest for your benefit. I'm reasonably comfortable with geometry and rather than memorize a formula, I just generate them as needed. My memory isn't so good about some things (and extremely good in others...normally trivial crap that doesn't seem to help)...as such I found it much easier to memorize the basics or the root of things...and then just generate the rest on an as-needed basis.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that. Generally, it is indeed better to be able to break something down to the basics and fully grasp these elements, then there is less to memorize and more flexibility in daily application. But like you said, we all have different areas which we can grasp easier and "see through" while others may be less accessible to us, so it is necessary sometimes to sit down and make the head smoke, even if a subject does not come to us easily...

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2006 03:54 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
The U of R or University of Rochester has a computer program called Genesee that will tell you everything you want to know about a lens. The object of a lens designer is to try to design a lens that will operate at several distances. Enample in resolution values, one lens design might give a 400 resolution value at 50 ft but only 100 value at 10 ft and 300 feet. Amother design might give 250 resolution value from 10 ft to 300 ft. So a custom lens is the only way to go if you know the projector will only be used at 50 ft. Although customs lenses can run in the $10,000 range. Better to buy a stock $2000 lens that operates nicely from 10 ft to 300 ft.

Oh yes, the easy way to do a curved screen is to attach a string to the projector. Let out the string to the middle of the would be screen. Then trace the curve going back and forth holding the string tight.

Thomas Hauerslev
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 03:49 AM      Profile for Thomas Hauerslev   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Hauerslev   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"....attach a string to the projector. Let out the string to the middle of the would be screen. Then trace the curve going back and forth holding the string tight."

This way the light will be reflected into the projector - which is undesireable - and a waste of light. The center of the screen curvature (circle) should be 2/3 of the distance between the screen and projector, thereby reflecting most of the light back towards where the majority of the audience usually sits.

If the projection distance is 24 meters, put the string 8 meters from the projector, and then do what Larry suggest - and you will have an impressive curve.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But, like a flat screen will feather at the corners and edges, a screen that is too curved will also distort at the edges. On a white screen, the light is reflected in almost a uniform spread, so the curvature would have minimal effect on how well the light was reflected back. However, if the screen is curved to the radius from the projector, all of the light/image, will fall on it evenly, producing an even, undistorted image. Now on a silver screen, or a glass bead screen, that's another question. I think those do have a directional bias.

Larry Myers
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Larry Myers         Edit/Delete Post 
Again it's a mix and match thing. Sure if you make the curve exactly the way I said, you MAY more or less have a light reflection problem. On the other hand, you will have the curve that an uncorrected lens might have. Since lens corrections are all over the place, you really got to know what the specs are for that lens to get it exactly in. I would say about .000000001% of the population would know how to read a lens designer lens spec. So the bottom line is, just buy a newer name brand stock lens. If you would like a cerve in your screen, just push in the middle of the screen 2% of the width. That is, a 100 inch wide screen would be pushed in about 2 inches. A 50 foot wide screen would be pushed in about 12 inches. That should correct any errors in a flat field lens since by design, it's almost impossible to get a fully corrected flat field lens without screwing something else up in the lens design.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 03:10 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think if I ever get my own screen, one big enough to worry about it, I'd get one that is curved. Ideally the concave would be best, but the minor abberation you'd get from not curing it top-to-bottom would be barely noticable, if at all. Whereas, lateral curving will make a difference. My personal pref. though.

Ari Saarinen
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 04:43 AM      Profile for Ari Saarinen   Author's Homepage   Email Ari Saarinen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Few years ago in ITEA seminar at CinemaExpo... Schneider, THX and some others... did made a presentation where they did describe they experiments with screen which was made variable curvatures... some how they did came up that best curvature for screens should be approx. 4,5 to 5 % from the width of the screen... so 10 meter wide screen should be 45 to 50 cm deeper in the middle.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-04-2006 07:22 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ari, how is Finnkino doing? Do you remember what the reasoning behind this very simple basic rule was?

Ari Saarinen
Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2006 07:41 AM      Profile for Ari Saarinen   Author's Homepage   Email Ari Saarinen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We doing just fine... hot summer (+30 C)... cold beer... and watching soccer games... wonder what happens today for Germany... Italy is hard to beat.

If I remember correctly it was about how optics design are try to be fixed for flat screens but those still works better with slight curvature... and of course you need to use gain screen when you go for curve, but you surely knew that. I think there was also Harkness involved with that experiment.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: