Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Apogee Sucks

Author Topic: Apogee Sucks
Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2006 01:25 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently took ove as GM of a community owned theatre in northeastern Iowa. The non-profit corporation behind it did a fantastic job of restoring a closed forties single screener. They installed the best of everything including Dolby digital. However, having threaded just about every brand of projector for 26 years I find the Apogee a real pain, especially the bottom loop that is so small it ocassionally snaps splices. Has anyone had similar experiences and does anyone know why Strong designed the machine that way? If this is supposed to be a Simplex it's the worst ever produced. And what's with the film riding on those stupid straps instead of between rails in a gate?

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-01-2006 05:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My big complaint is that these new machines were designed for "convenience of manufacturing;" not by knowledgeable techs and users through their input/testing.

Could be worse: remember the XL II? Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-01-2006 06:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Apogee was from the result of asking techs and end users. It was also, from what I can tell, from looking at what is out there from other countries. Like with all projection equipment, it has its ups and downs.

The picture it puts out can be very steady. The ones I've laid my hands on need work on the sound department. I also don't like the fact that there isn't any place to land greenfield for the sound. We don't run naked cables all over, including sound (analog or digital).

I know Strong has been working on the sound issue (takes about 30 seconds to come up to speed) as well as they've done some work on the film path below the intermittent. As such, I have not seen a current machine in operation.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2006 07:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

I thought you were in Poulsbo? Humm... Poulsbo to Iowa... thats a huge change of scenery... I hope you like corn!

quote: Steve Guttag
Actually, the Apogee was from the result of asking techs and end users.
That is true but they must have lost the notes they took.

I also don't like the fact that there isn't any place to land Greenfield for the sound. We don't run naked cables all over, including sound (analog or digital).

True! And its illegal in all the States that I work in not to have them completely enclosed.

quote:
My big complaint is that these new machines were designed for "convenience of manufacturing;"
Louis,

I couldn't agree more... merely a recompilation of standard Simplex sub assemblies!

I would go with the latest Christie incarnation any day over the Apogee. The Cine X-35's we've installed have proven to be completely reliable machines that require so little maintenance as to finally perform as Christie originally advertised the P-35. It also easily outperforms the Apogee in all aspects. Even the Christie's new style round tooth belts are now very long lived... measured in years of life.

Mark

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 07-01-2006 07:30 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was also, from what I can tell, from looking at what is out there from other countries.
Very diplomaitcally put. Anyone who knows the Ernemann line of projectors will see they "quoted" quite a few details from them. That is basically OK, of course. Everyone takes ideas and inspiration from everyone else.
But if you want that kind of projector, you can just go with the Ernemann and get a, sorry better manufactured machine.
I personally believe they went into the wrong direction, at least as far as the soundhead design is concerned. I think you should develop towards more simplicity as advanced manufacturing with lower tolerances and most importantly, new materials become available. Each generation should be more "to the point" than the last. This philosophy has been, on the whole, very nicely demonstrated by the increasingly simple and concise designs Kinoton have produced over the last decades.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2006 12:19 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Mark, it kinda surprised me too. If you had of asked me a few months ago I wouldn't have thought it. But it's a beautiful little town and just the kind of theatre I want. I have about all the freedom I need to run it the way I want and it's in great shape. And it is actually a profitable operation. It's a .99 cent house that grossed more than a quarter of a million last year.

Our tech says he has some modification kits for the Apogee. I hope one of them has something to do with expanding the lower loop. It uses a 2k Strong Super Lumex and puts out a bright, steady picture. We're running "Cars" this week and I've never seen a brighter picture anywhere - not even at the Regal house in Poulsbo.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: