Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How do you identifiy test film (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How do you identifiy test film
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 07:20 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a box of film (it LOOKS like some rolls of test film mixed with other film) that I cannot identify. They are all small rolls, unlabeled, unidentified. Some is all gold, some has a color that ranges from purple to white then back to purple. Some looks clear with a small border around each frame.

Is there a place that has photos of test film so I can identify this stuff? Is it of any use? Does anyone know just by my bad description what this film is used for? It may not even be test film, but that is the box I found it in...unfortunately, no labels or reference to it at all.

Thanks for any help.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-01-2006 12:18 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leader stock, maybe? Is there a soundtrack? If so, is the waveform continuous/repetitive?

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2006 01:34 AM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw no soundtracks at all. All this stuff is different looking too. The really weird one (the one that goes from purple then fades to white then back to purple) is the only one I've ever seen before, but I dont know what it is for.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-01-2006 02:23 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds like lightstruck leader to me... worthless.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2006 10:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have any idea what this is?

-

There was a couple of metres of it attched to the head of each reel of a print that I received recently.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2006 01:19 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this box labeled test film is actually just a bunch of junk that somebody just didnt know what it was. Like that strip above. A whole box of crap.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2006 07:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

When we are all done training you in this art where do I send my part of bill for all of my advice that has been thrown in to these threads? You just don't seem to be able to figure anything out for yourself... do you?

Thanks in advance for your billing address!

Mark

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-01-2006 07:28 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Stephen, I too would like to know what that film is for...it appears to only have DD and optical tone burst sound tracks.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-01-2006 07:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, lighten up. I may be missing something, but the guy is trying to learn and it seems all he gets in response is senseless bashing.

If you can't or don't want to help him, please do not reply.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2006 09:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
I wonder if this box labeled test film is actually just a bunch of junk that somebody just didnt know what it was. Like that strip above.
Maybe they called it "test film" meaning it was for practice, like practice threading or splicing.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2006 09:02 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,
can you post any pictures of the film? Then we can determine if it is junk or really test film.

Brad,
I apologized to Frank in another thread, but you locked and deleted that whole thread. "I hate to be Frank but.." Yes, I have made some smartass comments towards Frank, but that is just my nature because of his comments in one thread. I have never met him, and probably never will, but I will offer any information that he or any one else asks for as long as I am confident I know the correct answer.

As far as my smartass comments go, I can take them as well as give them. When Joe R. said I was a female and had no male genitelia, I laughed my ass off and told him he won that round.

Frank, there is a vast amount of info on this site. Ask and learn as much as you can! I have walked into too many booths where the people don't know shit and dont care. I have also been in booths where the head projectionists likes to "tweak" too many things because he thinks he already knows it all, and is trying to be helpful, but in reality screws things up.

Rick

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-01-2006 11:31 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Hill
I too would like to know what that film is for
Looks like someone was testing the light valve ribbons for maximum excursions. [Confused] Just a guess. [Wink]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-02-2006 01:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea..got a bunch of these sound test strips as well.. on front of TECH prints that come in where the head leads were missing (since I get used prints for a discount house). Thus, I kept these for good sound loops of sorts... - Monte

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2006 02:01 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was guessing a sound test loop too, maybe dolby tones. But that wouldn't have had the DD track, and if I remember correctly, the wave isn't as simple as that. But it is a mono test track.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-02-2006 06:18 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
I was guessing a sound test loop too, maybe dolby tones. But that wouldn't have had the DD track
Interesting you should say that; some new Dolby tone that arrived at the end of last year does have a Dilby Digital track on it. I don't have any means of playing a digital track, so I can't tell if there is actually any audio on it, and, if there is, I don't know what sort of signal, or what possible use it could have.

quote:
Looks like someone was testing the light valve ribbons for maximum excursions. [Confused] Just a guess. [Wink]

Tim,

I was thinking along similar lines to you, i.e. that it was not a test film as in a film made for the purpose of testing something else, but rather a film that was the result of some sort of test, carried out at a lab, which when it had served its purpose was a convienient roll of junk leader. There were several lengths which were like the one I scanned, one which had some sort of tone on it, not Dolby tone, and one which started out as one, then had a few frames worth of just bias line, then changed to the other. It looks lohe they were all cut from the same roll, which had two different signals recorded on it, one after the other.

quote: Richard Hamilton
can you post any pictures of the film? Then we can determine if it is junk or really test film.

Good advice; it's much easier to tell what it is if we can see it.

Frank

If it's real test film, like buzz track, Cat. 69 T or P etc. then it will probably have some sort if identification printed in the picture area at regular intervals. Pa35 projector alignment film describes itself as such on each frame.

Why did Dolby change from the double sided Cat. 69 to separate 'P' abd 't' loops; was it just to sell twice as much film?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: