Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Surround Array Placement Software

Author Topic: Surround Array Placement Software
Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 01:48 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody make software that allows you to input the room dimensions and speaker dispersion patterns and spits out exact speaker positions and mounting angles? You should be able to get pretty even (+/- 1 dB) coverage with precise placement and aiming. You could calculate manually but it would take a LONG time because you'd have to account for wave interactions from all the other speakers on that channel.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-29-2006 02:02 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used a rather expensive program from Rane called Ease
some people have had good luck with acousticad

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2006 08:02 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EASE is the defacto standard of speaker simulations...most manufacturers have ease models. There is also a company Lara that makes a low cost, less sophisticated speaker simulation software.

EASE is not a RANE owned program. renkus-heinz is the caretaker of EASE. JBL Professional also sells it.

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-29-2006 08:26 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never heard of "Lara". Link?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-29-2006 09:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.integralacoustics.ca/

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-29-2006 10:36 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is correct it isn't Rane that owns Ease

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2006 11:33 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But do remember to give it a good ear test. Computers can do wonders, but they often miss the little nuances that make it go from good, to outstanding. That said, I think I'll check some of those apps out. Probably work for my home system too, given the right info.

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 06-30-2006 11:10 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ease is a great program but vey expensive. I usually work with a long time friend using his Ease programs and his input on projects requiring this information. My last project using Ease was for a cinema circuit in which we made layouts for small / medium and large rooms....several years later and 90 + rooms, the end result is great.
You can use published speaker factory 360 degree dispersion charts and a drafting table for quick and dirty situations regarding placement but the whole picture regarding room surface splatter and other issues would not be addressed.
Regarding using your ears...RH also has a program to allow you to hear how the room would sound in the design phase [Cool] I have not had an opportunity to try it but my friend says it is amazing.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-2006 02:40 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like Ease 4.1 is for sale on SoundBroker dot com for about $8K.

Here's a link to the product:
Ease 4.1

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-01-2006 07:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I prefer Ease myself and have used it on many big jobs... I got mine from a friend that works in the auto industry, although its an older version as his department was going to toss it.

quote: Michael Schaffer
I have never heard of "Lara".
Michael,

Spike Jones has the best version of "Laura" [Big Grin] !

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: