Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Analog sound question (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Analog sound question
Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 12:22 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I know I'm asking to compare apples to oranges. That said. If you had to quantify the current quality of the on film analog sound in terms of bitrate, what would you consider it closest to? I know that analog doesn't actually have a bitrate, but it does have fidelity, and many other aspects, I'm just looking for an overall comparison. I'm figuring maybe 128k on a good system, with clean heads and clean film. And the main limiting factor on analog's quality would be the inherent nose produced by the media, right?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-25-2006 12:30 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Odd answer...read the rules quickly and fix this post before we close it and boot your account.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 12:51 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, ok. I'm guessing it was the topic. I read the rules to begin with, but I guess the topic was too cryptic, fixed that.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2006 05:04 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Charles Greenlee
And the main limiting factor on analog's quality
...is the dynamic range in itself - which would peak out at 50 to 60dB.on a good day..whereas digital can push the envelope over 100dB without trying..

Like the analog recordings of vinyl, open reel, and cassette (we won't touch 8tracks..they didn't even come close..) having the same, basic dynamic output range within these above factors..

One can take an analog source and convert it to a 128k bitrate Mp3, but the sound would slightly suffer due to the 'lossy format" that the Mp3 format uses during the conversion from WAV to the Mp3.

A good analog soundtrack when read and reproduced correctly, if you want to compare such, can sound as good (or even better) as a 320k plus variable bitrate Mp3. For using the constant bitrate isn't the real good way to compress since so much info is lost in keeping the filesize at a budget level and try to keep quality intact at the same time.

Yes, definitely an Apple to Oranges comparision - analog against digital..how you slice and eat the fruit.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-25-2006 09:42 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few rules, first? Assume 2 track, Dolby SR optical. Probably 70 db effective s/n and 20-16000 Hz. (Dolby tracks are filtered above that and you can't project much above that in a medium cinema-sized room) Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 11:02 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm sticky question!

But in mine opinion, I think is closest to 192kbps mp3, considering You have SR and well system!

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 11:59 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was considering 2channel Dolby SR. I was throwing around a few ideas in my head, and was looking at a current mono print. Stereo has 2 tracks that take up that small space. Mono, has one track, that is twice the size as a single track from the stereo. So it should, in theory, be able to have a better dynamic range, and a lower media noise level.

A mono analog print, that is 2nd gen., meaning the soundtrack is straight from the master, and not copy of a copy of a copy, could actually have a higher quality than a digital recording? But just on a single track. That is if you had decent analog sound equipment, of course.

True we were comparing apples and oranges, but were relating their quality, which they both have, just doing it using digital terms. Thx guys, I got something to play around with.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-25-2006 03:45 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The apple/orange thing is a big deal here. If you have a reasoanbly perfect Dolby SR soundtrack, you won't be able to hear any defects. Even if you a 192kbps MP3 stream, you'll be able to hear compression artifacts (well, it depends on your ear).

Trying to equate compression artifacts to SNR isn't so straightforward.

--jhawk

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't buy the 192kbps so much because of lack of clairty in the analog, and lack of dynamic range. Mainyl what I was looking for is a comparitive benchmark on quality. Like DTS would be about 256k, etc. I have CD's, which are 160k, that come out clearer and w/ negligable artifacting, than the onboard analog in just about every theatre I've worked at. Of course part of that could be poor tone adustment, or equalization, at playback. Too much low end will make it sound murky, etc.

I'm just goofing off with some sound stuff, and wasy trying to figure out where the breaking point is on the optical track, what can be adjusted to make it keep up if not suprass the current digital formats. The mono format, being double sized compared to a stereo track, seems like I'm barking up the right tree. Only problem is it's just 1 channel. A remarkably clear channel, but only 1. It's more just for kicks than anything, but I am learning from it.

Patrick de Groot
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 07:04 AM      Profile for Patrick de Groot   Email Patrick de Groot   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your question doesn't make much sense cause Dolby Digital is compressed audio (just like mp3). With compressed audio the following things are important for the resulting perceived quality:

-audio source is uncompressed audio with a high sample rate
-high enough resulting compressed bitrate
-used compressing algorithm (codec) mp3, aac, ogg, ...

The bitstream of a normal audio cd is 1411.2 kbps (kilo-bit-per-second) which is uncompressed audio (16 bit 44,1 KHz)(16 * 44100 * 2).

Compression artefacts sound a lot different than analog recording/playback "problems".

A better question would be what equivalent an analog soundtrack has in terms of digital recording quality (sample rate, resolution).

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 07:43 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're talking about a compressed bitrate, which isn't comparable as stated above because of different codecs, etc., which all throw away different parts of the original signal (hopefully ones we can't hear [Smile] ).

But you can compare an analog source to an uncompressed digital audio bitrate.

For the sampling rate, multiply the analog -10dB point by 2.2 (Nyquist frequency is 2x, but you need some room for the transition band), so that gets you about a 35kHz sampling rate for a 16kHz -10dB point.

For 70dB dynamic range, we can see how many bits gives us a quantization noise floor -70dB or more down from 0dBFS. 12 bits gives us a 72dB dynamic range (log2(10**(70.0/20)) = 11.6 bits, so round up to 12, 20*log10(2**12) = 72dB).

So, stereo means we've got a pair of 12 bit samples occurring at 35kHz, so 2*12*35 = 840 kbit/sec, compared to CD at 1,400 kbit/sec as stated above.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-30-2006 09:11 PM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I a round about way, then optical, in it's current form, even with a new print, clean heads and good processor, is no where near CD quality, relatively speaking.
CD quality should be no where near digital cinema formats quality, that is unless the compression used by the digital formats degrades the signal below CD quality, which I wouldn't think it would. Thanks for the formulae. I can use it. So I'll go write it down in my noteboock when I get to it tomorrow. Left it at work.
Ok, on to my other questions. What is the relative quality then of Dolby Digital, DTS, and SDDS?
I've been expiramenting with the only optical cell I could scrounge before they scrapped our old white light readers. I found out that I can emulate a mono cell by ganging the two indiviual cells, up together. This seemed to have a greater dynamic range. Though this was done in the lab at school, with an led powered by a function generator, And with the cell hooked to our o-scope. Unfortunatly, I don't have a real soundhead I can experiment with, yet.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-01-2006 10:31 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Charles; there is even a difference in what analog can do. For example, an expert alignment of a red reader through a decent preamp can get you 16,000 hz flat. Very few soundheads are adjusted to or remain in that condition. To the extent that you fail this "maximum" you degrade the analogue. Same goes for level, crosstalk, etc.

The fact that mono is more robust is correct. Without Dolby, stereo would have been too noisy to tolerate. Hence it had to wait until suitable NR was available. 2 channel analogue optical was experimented in the 40's, but was too noisy.

Now we are comparing apples, oranges, pears & bannanas! Louis

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-01-2006 11:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, experimental two-channel optical stereo goes back further than that; at least to the mid '30s, when the Alan Blumlein recordings were made. web page I don't know if anybody else made any before this.

Some of these recordings still exist, I heard the amateur dramatic one mentioned on the web page a few years ago. The quality wasn't great by modern standards, but I wouldn't say it was much worse than contempory mono tracks.

Basically the same system was revived in the '50s, and got nowhere. There were many 'high-quality' sound systms over the years: Fantasound, Warnerphonic, Perspecta, Cinerama, Cinemascope, Todd-AO etc. All of these were either short-lived, or little-used. Most films were released in mono optical, and even where there was a stereo release, most cinemas ran them in mono. These systems were expensive of course, but they were available, if the demand had been there for them.

Both Dolby 'A' type NR, and the Sansui QS matrix encoder/decoder were available several years before Bolby stereo film tracks were introduced. Even when they were introduced, the conversion didn't happen overnight; it took many yearsfor cinemas to convert to stereo, there are still a few mono only equipped ones today.

I think the delay in conversion to stereo film sound was more economic and market led than technological.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2006 02:35 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just came up with an idea on how to use the existing sountrack real estate, to allow for another descrete channel, at full mono fidelity and response. Damn, now I just need the resources to test it out. It's a solid idea but I don't want to broadcast it so it can't be jumped, but I need some more resources. Grrr.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: