Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Where can I get CP650 updates? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Where can I get CP650 updates?
Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 09:47 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was looking around for software/firmware updates for the CP650 but cant seem to find them. I thought they might be posted here, but unless I missed it...I can't find them. Dolby doesn't put them on their site either. Anyone know the latest updates? and where I might download them?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-24-2006 02:44 AM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby puts these on their support website dolbysecure.com . In order to get access, you need to apply for an account and show that you are in a position in which you have use and the need for these upgrades. If you are a customer, that should not be a big problem. Maybe your dealer can help you with that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2006 08:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please note, that site is only for current updates...beta stuff is just that and is on an as needed basis. For instance, Mark's problem noted in another thread required an immediate fix.

I'm surprised that Film-Tech does not have the current and stable firmware for the CP650. It has the CP500.

2.0.10.8 is my personal favorite of the CP650 firmware but am looking forward to the release of 2.3.x.x When it is stable, it should prove to be a very worthy upgrade.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-24-2006 09:46 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2.3.4.3 since I uploaded it into Mike's 650 is far more stable than the version it came with. The previous version cause it to re-boot at even the slightest power blip. Yesterday we had an acid test when the power failed when we were previewing the weeks new film.... the 650 and DCM-1 kept on ticking just fine from the UPS.

We have some very early 650's out there that could probably benefit from the new firmware.

Francis Casey
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 12:56 PM      Profile for Francis Casey   Email Francis Casey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got version 2.3.4.4 from the "doblysecure" site and plan on injstalling it at all our locations that have CP650s .... they have had similar reboot problems for a while now which i just caulked up to a design flaw...not a software issue !!

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 01:28 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was surprised Film-Tech doesnt have the software either. I felt like a potential idiot for asking assuming i just missed it somewhere.

On the subject of Dolby. Our theatre doesn't have test film. Is there location on Dolbysecure (or elsewhere) where it can be ordered? I know I need the pink noise... 69T or whatever number it is. Thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 06-24-2006 02:06 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I don't blame Dolby at all for wanting to control or know where the 650 software is going and into what units and where. Tracking can aid them in later releases of software. The CP-500 is an out of production unit and may never see another revision of software since the last revision was quite good.

I also thought the 650 here in Forsyth had a bad power supply. Apparently the power supply is software controled.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2006 02:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow...confirmed...2.3.4.4 is available to authorized techs...that means it is a shipping version, not a beta! So I bet Mark's processors don't have the "DONT SHIP" statement across the screen on boot up.

2.3 brings many desired features to the table...topping the list is that all 8 buttons are now configurable rather than just the last three. Non-Sync 2 now can do pro-logic decodes instead of just L,R with Surround.

If you use the CP650 remotes, version 2.3 fixes many woes with loosing communication or going into endless reboots (of just the remotes)

For those that use their CP650 for AC-3 decodes...2.3 fixes a problem where the header may be incorrect or corrupt and then send the CP650 into s l o w m o t i n.

So some or all of these fixes may not apply to a particular installation but if you have any or all of these problems or need the programmability of the buttons...version 2.3 is for you! (and I hear it fixes a boot up issue when using UPS power supplies [Wink] )

2.0.10.8 is still my rock if you don't need the other features that 2.1 and beyond bring.

I'm hoping they moved the Dolby Digital Voltmeter so it isn't part of the "Install" menus. For those readers that pre-date readers with green/red LEDs it is a handy diagnostic tool.

Lastly...it should be stated...firmware should not be uploaded willy-nilly by just anyone...there is real potential for harm there...you can crash the firmware and render them usless if your set up isn't good or if you have a power glitch during an upload. You should also have a REASON for uploading...to take a working system and updating for updating's sake is just plain wreckless. The key in theatres is reliability. These updates should only be done by your qualified technician that is responsible for the care of the unit.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-24-2006 03:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You absolutely need the test films to do a proper A-chain. I once priced out a complete set and it came to something like $500. [Eek!] Everything that you will need is listed in the Dolby manuals and can be ordered from any dealer.

Yes, you can sort of fudge things and set everything by ear and get thing thing to (mostly) reproduce sound without the test equipment, but that method is totally unacceptable for anything more than a home hobby setup or a theatre that is in such bad shape that nothing has been maintained for years and can't possibly be made any worse. Customers pay good money to see films and deserve to hear a sound system that has been properly set up.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-24-2006 03:53 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Not much time left on these test films on ebaY...

Test Films

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 04:28 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all I need is a loop of 69p pink noise..I dont want to have to buy a whole roll.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 06-24-2006 04:46 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
WTF cares what YOU need? Go find it yourself...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-24-2006 05:48 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most dealers sell test film by the foot

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 06:47 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I CARE what I need, thats why I posted. Jesus...why post a stupid reply like that? If you don't want to help, then don't bother replying. Maybe your kidding, maybe your not, but that just came off wrong. Not appreciated.

Thanks Gordon...I'll look into that.

Richard Hamilton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Richard Hamilton   Email Richard Hamilton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Dubrois
I CARE what I need, thats why I posted. Jesus...why post a stupid reply like that? If you don't want to help, then don't bother replying. Maybe your kidding, maybe your not, but that just came off wrong. Not appreciated.
No, it did not come off wrong. you asked for some advice saying you needed test film. Phil took his time to research it for you. Had you said in your original post that you just need 1 loop of pink noise, then Phil wouldn't have wasted his time with you!!!

quote: Frank Dubrois
I felt like a potential idiot for asking
You said it!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: