Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » big sky automation emergency shutoff

Author Topic: big sky automation emergency shutoff
Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 07:14 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

Was wondering if it is possible to wire an emergency shutoff into the big sky automation? I need something to shut down the lamp and motor. Hopefully something like this is possible.

Thank you,
cody

|  IP: Logged

Michael Schaffer
"Where is the
Boardwalk Hotel?"

- posted 06-21-2006 07:17 PM      Profile for Michael Schaffer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Schaffer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about simply adding a switch in the line between failsafe and automation?

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 08:31 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a simple idea and yet a great one. I'm assuming that when the switch is open the fail safe is okay, but when it's closed the failsafe has been tripped?

I wasn't sure if there was an emergency feature built in or not.

Thank you,
Cody

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 06-21-2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'bout the only problem with that idea is the racket the automation alarms will make.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-21-2006 10:45 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
He might be wanting to do that specifically to meet fire code (to shut down the building from the fire alarm). If that's the case, then it's a simple solution. [Smile]

He might also want to do this to put a remote "stop" switch downstairs for when he is screening prints (and comes across a misframe).

Cody, what's your intended purpose for this?

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 07:51 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all of your help.

The way the interlock is set up in this building:

One must first turn all the motor switches on, and then throw a master motor switch to get the film moving.

THen it is necessary to start each lamphouse manually.

If an error occurs, one has to go to each machine and hit stop and then throw the master motor switch.

As you can imagine, by the time everything is stopped a lot of film would be damaged.

I wouldn't mind the alarm noise, but if possible I would rather not have it. Either way, I'm just trying to improve this booth. While putting this in, I'm also going to run the interlock wiring so that we can use the automation to start the machines.

Thank you for your help,
Cody

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-22-2006 08:58 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold that equipment, but it was installed locally so I cannot say with certanity what was done.

With a normal Big Sky installation, motor switches are NEVER turned on with interlock. An RS-232 buss runs everything and any failure modes are taken care of automatically as part of the control system. Any film break will shut the entire system down and sound the alarm in the house with the failure.

Mike Marvin at Big Sky is the automation guru (908) 454-5344.

Hope you can get back to a "normal" situation, then you won't need any "work arounds." Louis

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 09:02 AM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,

Thank you for your help. I'm going to mess around with the interlock features one night after hours. I was told by the manager when they used the interlock feature and a failsafe was thrown the other projectors kept going and the one stopped. Maybe it just wasn't in interlock mode. I would rather not do the work around if at all possible. If anything, i think i could do the interlock wiring, or at least check all the conncections. Until then though, I am going to have to find a way to do an emergency shutoff.

Found the interlock schematic. Very simple..3 wire setup.

Thank you,
Cody

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 10:32 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the current Big Sky is still a clone of the Maxi 12X-PC, then your projector failsafes should work with the interlock mode feature to shut down the machines in the event of a film break.

It's been over a year since I last used that automation, but I recall that in the event of a film break, you restarted the machine where the failsafe triggered & the other wired machines in the sequence would restart automatically. Something along those lines.

The Maxi 12X-PC required, at most, a relay for fire alarm shutdown, if memory serves me.

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2006 09:33 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As noted above, the Series-1 was originally based on the same architecture, but has since been completely updated.

Cody, there also is a "FIRE" input which is used by the building fire alarms to shut averything down if the fire alarm is activated. This functions switches building lights to panic, changes sound to Non-Sync, shuts down the projection system.

Louis, thanks for the info, but the correct phone is 908-454-6344.

To all, the webiste was thouroghly uypdated last year, with alot of technical information, schematics, manuals, drawings, and technical information available. Take a look - www.bigskyindustries.net

HTH [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: