Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS dropping out (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS dropping out
Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 03:12 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a DTS 6 that intermittently drops the sound out(usually for about 10-15 secs).
What I noticed the last time it happened was the small green light on the bottom CDrom was on solid(usually flickers when the drive is reading) and only 2 lights on the front of the DTS unit were on(The System light and the light second from the top-CDrom light I think!).The green light on the Time-code reader was also on.I've also checked and adjusted the 4volts inside the reader.
I've got a feeling it is happening at the changeover from disc 1 to disc 2-I'm not 100% sure as yet.
Cheers
Ian

|  IP: Logged

Keith Peticolas
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 03:24 AM      Profile for Keith Peticolas   Email Keith Peticolas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had the same problem every now and then. Sometime switching discs from tray to tray a to b, b to a. Has stopped problem. Also try cleaning discs with a cd cleaner. Has cured problem as well.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 05:58 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Keith
I've tried reversing the drives the discs go in(disc A into drive B etc) and cleaning the discs and cleaning the heads of the CDROM's.The unit will work fine for a couple of days and then we will loose sound during a show and then the unit will work fine for the next show with the same print.
Cheers
Ian

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 10:06 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said the system light is on. Is it steady or blinking? Also, the second light from the top is the timecode light. Check to make sure when you can, which lights are actually on when this happens. Sounds like more of a processor issue than a timecode or reader issue right now

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 11:42 AM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this happening with other prints played in this house? Which model drives do you have, Ian? Is the system fan on the back of the 6 running, too?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-20-2006 01:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are actual times where I had to adjust the lateral scanner drum set screw slightly to quit the irratic blinking - on certain prints.

Also, could be that the LED array for the reader is getting tired...what is the manufacturer date on that reader anywho - which there is a small tag by the input cable....

-Monte

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 06:00 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem was fixed for us with a replacement time code reader. They aren't expensive.

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 09:06 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The replacement readers are about $250 arent they? I'd say thats pricey for nothing more than a fading LED. I'm assuming the voltage was already checked?

Ron Curran
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 09:23 PM      Profile for Ron Curran   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Curran   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS replaces them on exchange. Can't remember the price, it was a couple of years ago. It was lots cheaper than the analog red light array, particularly considering the analog reader burns away without being used for weeks

Frank Dubrois
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2006 10:05 PM      Profile for Frank Dubrois     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They replace them on exchange, but that means #1 your without a reader until the replacement shows up because you have to send the core WITH the cash, #2 Your still paying like $250 with exchange. I'd exhaust all other options before just replacing the reader.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-21-2006 12:50 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard-the system light and the Time-code light(second from the top) were both on solid(system light was not blinking)

Scott-it has happened to various prints-one print we had was a problem every show but now it seems intermittent with various prints.I have the Black drives and the fan is running.

Monte-I've never seen the green reader led blinking-it is always solid on.

I've adjusted the 4volts for the reader and checked all connections to the DTS unit.

This unit was serviced just before Christmas when I bought the business and has been a problem since then.Which was at the time when the servicing of DTS equipment was taken over by another person down here.
Ian

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 06:56 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is definitely not in the reader. The system light not blinking says that the problem is in the deck. Is the fan in the back running? Take the top cover off and make sure all the boards and chips are set in properly. Also, does it happen in both drives? If so, its sounds like an overheating or board problem.

Ian Bailey
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 10:36 AM      Profile for Ian Bailey   Email Ian Bailey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard-yes the fan is working.
Thanks for the tips,I'll have alook inside and check everything is seated correctly.I'm pretty sure it has failed in both drives,I'm not at this site very much.
Ian

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If thats the case Ian, you have pretty much narrowed it down to being a power supply or board issue inside of the unit. Thats about as far as I can help you on this. My next step is usually to call DTS. Then again, I live in the US so the call aint that expensive.LOL. Good luck [Smile]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-23-2006 07:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian

How long since the drives were replaced? You may have a couple that are duds hence moving the discs ain't helping.

If you need to call DTS, then install SKYPE on your computer...then the call is just as cheap (cheaper sometimes) as Richard's call.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: